Tube Amps Over Solid State...?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by nando, Dec 12, 2007.

1. nando

nando nando

Growing Up As A Youngster With Valve Amps And Tried All Sorts Of Makes And Amps, Have Now Found My Self Going Back To Tubes, Anyone Has A Same View?

nando, Dec 12, 2007
  2. nando

banpe2006

Ive not gone back nando, but have recently "found " valves.....I tried a lot of pre amps SS, but didnt feel that the vocals were "right"...I purchased a welborne labs battery powered pre amp, and I instantly knew I was in business. I never would have tried valves, due to the risk factor and biasing (still dont know what that is ) but this only uses 2 x ecc86 valves, so is simple...it really did beat anumber of more expensive amps when trying. For a power amp though, Im a coward and didnt want to risk a big power valve amp, so Ive just got a SS belles soloist 500 ocm. Waiting for it to arrive.

banpe2006, Dec 12, 2007
  3. nando

RobHolt Moderator

I spent many years with SS and only moved over to tubes about three years ago. I'm very glad I did because trying some good tube amps removed many of my prejudices against them as a breed (and taught me a valuable lesson that they are far from a 'breed' in fact).

Lately I've gone back to SS and ultimately I feel SS gets closer to the source, ie imposes less character than even very fine tube amps. I still run my WAD tube phono stage, though there is actually nothing of the original stage left in the case :)

Could all change again one day, different system, different room, broken heating etc ;)

RobHolt, Dec 12, 2007
  4. nando

Markus S Trade

Amps blameless but boring?

Markus S, Dec 12, 2007
  5. nando

ADPully

Ive had valve amps in my main system since 1980 I started off with kt88 100w push pull - Ive gravitated to a 9w kt90 single ended. power amp Always driven by passive preamps.

I
    I have owned a sugden and a electrocompanient class A SS amps and many others less significant. I currently also have a class t amp - The bass is certainly more controlled with these SS amps but the sound is cold - with SS in my experience music doent seem to rise and fall in the same way - For me valve wins esp for long term listening enjoyment.

Andy

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2007
    ADPully, Dec 13, 2007
  6. nando

zanash

I'll second that ...

zanash, Dec 13, 2007
  7. nando

kmac

There are of course...hybrid amps. Best of both worlds, with a little bit of compromise.

kmac, Dec 13, 2007
  8. nando

ditton happy old soul

I don't look to amps to add anything but ampflication.

I confess I've never tried tubes except in the pre-amp. And I now don't have a preamp

ditton, Dec 13, 2007
  9. nando

speedy.steve

I was converted 5 years ago.
    I guess the tube amp in question was a serious upgrade as well, so perhaps a more expensive amp SS would have convinced me as well.
    I do find tube rolling to be a very positive factor.
    Change preamp, cables or CDP and you can adjust things to suit.

I now need to try a TVC.

speedy.steve, Dec 13, 2007
  10. nando

Colin2040

I have tried various SS and hybrid but have I always end up coming back to a valve amp now a 300b SE . I always feel that the valve just does it better and long term listening is more enjoyable. I also use a passive as well but have a Class T amp for the days when the valve amp is being tweaked.

Colin2040, Dec 13, 2007
  11. nando

nando nando

i have tried also ear, amongst sonic frontiers, etc, now belive it or not the fatman 182, also the 252, the kt88 182 is very good ,detail is super and fast on all types of music, the mid is excellent and treble is sparkling with a tight bass,18 watts per channel single ended class a, however the 252 el34 push pull gives me a more dynamic sound with ease of non fatiguing sound and they glow beautifull, looks good too,
    nando

nando, Dec 13, 2007
  12. nando

lbr monkey boy

I started on SS, moved to a WAD PSE and loved it. Then went back to SS for a while but ultimately I found all the amps failed to deliver long term. Currently running a little Decware single ended - best I've had so far

lbr, Dec 13, 2007
  13. nando

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

The main problem with tube amps, is that insensitive speakers are a pre-requisite for complex, powerful, hot, expensive, and often a little muddy sounding push-pull amps, and that these amps STILL don't have the bass grip of solid state equivalents.

So, you need to look at changing parameters - either getting more sensitive speakers to work with a simpler, cleaner lower power amp, or alternatively bi/tri amping - leaving the bass to something else.

The above is a generalisation, I've heard a few powerful and exceptionally clear push-pull amps, but unfortunately they are more an exception than a rule... and practically none of them have the sheer grunt of a big arsed digital/solid state amp..

..choices choices....

bottleneck, Dec 14, 2007
  14. nando

Dev Moderator

Insensitive? I'd have thought the opposite was the pre-requisite.

Dev, Dec 14, 2007
  15. nando

rollo

IMHO its the type of music you listen to that should decide your amp choice as well as the speakers you use. . Head bangers, techno, rap listeners would do better with S/S. For acoustic based lintening its tubes every time.
    There is no one amp type for all listening preferences. Keeping that in mind there are probably some exceptions but havn't heard one yet. Any suggestions?

rollo

rollo, Dec 14, 2007
  16. nando

brca Rookie

First of all, solid state amps are the thing, at least for me.
    The reason ? I think that SS produce much more natural sound than the tubes. I admit, tubes sound is beautiful, soft, relaxing, but all together, it just has to much makeup.

Rollo, in your search, you should try Audio Analogue, tied up with, for example, Sonus Faber speakers and I am convinced, that you will find this combination, just perfect for all kinds of music.

brca, Dec 14, 2007
  17. nando

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I figure no-one reads my ramblings, so I can write anything ;)

:D

bottleneck, Dec 14, 2007
  18. nando

Paul Ranson

I think you're wrong. If only because tympani and tecno, harpsichords and 'slightly distorted guitar', saxophone and synth really don't discriminate.

If you're not careful you end up with a system that only plays noodley jazz, nice for 30 seconds but completely pointless.

Paul

Paul Ranson, Dec 14, 2007
  19. nando

speedy.steve

"I admit, tubes sound is beautiful, soft, relaxing, but all together, it just has to much makeup."

Hmm, Depends how they are wired or perhaps or which tubes.
    I don't find mine is too soft, relaxing or hard or edgy for that matter. Take your breath away at times yes, clear and musical all the time.

speedy.steve, Dec 14, 2007
  20. nando

julian2002 Muper Soderator

i've settled on hybrids - 90% of the reliabillity and power of solid state with some of the romance of valves - along with the rosy glow (augmented by some led's on my vinnys - selectable brightness of course)

julian2002, Dec 14, 2007
Ask a Question