Turntable advise needed!!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by rega3, Feb 20, 2006.

1. rega3

rega3

Hi, I've just registered, great to see a really active forum on HiFi.

Wondering if I could pick a few brains regarding my next potential purchase. At the minute, I have made a few changes and the deck will be played through an Icon Audio Stereo 40 valve amp and Kef IQ5 Floorstanders. I have a Project Phono Box SE also, and this may be changed if I change the deck.

I have shortlisted a few decks, as below.

1. Clear Audio Emotion, with usual arm and cartridge.

2. Michell Gyro SE, with RB250 or 300.

3. VPI Scout, with VPI arm and a good quality MM cartridge, as this is at the upper end of my budget!!

4. OL Aurora, with OL arm and MM cartridge.

At the minute, I have a Rega Planar 3 with Audio Technica F5 MC and if I am changing I want the improvement to warrant the extra expense i.e. preferably a night and day experience!!

My problem is that I cannot demo all the decks together, so I am basing this potential purchase on reviews and web site comments. Also, as there are no VPI or OL dealers where I am based(Ireland), I might have to have the deck shipped, which will mean setting up the deck myself (VPI excluded, I think this would be easier), which doesnt particularly appeal as the OL deck in particular I have heard is difficult to set up. I would also go for one of the Graham Slee stages if I change the deck. I have one of Goldring MM cartidges in mind also.

I can buy one of the ClearAudio decks here ok, and it does come very highly regarded, but I want this deck to be a long term buy and make an informed decision rather than buy based on reviews only. The VPI Scout is nearly twice the price of the ClearAudio Emotion, I wouldnt expect twice the performance, but would it be "night and day"? I cant be sure until I demo them both.

I dont expect a yes/no type of response, as it is so subjective, just comments or experiences with these decks.

Thanks for reading!!

R.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2006
    rega3, Feb 20, 2006
  2. rega3

anon_bb Honey Badger

I would go for the OL aurora - or even better try the Funk Firm Funk V

anon_bb, Feb 20, 2006
  3. rega3

rega3

Forgot to mention my music tastes- no classical at all, mostly Blue Nile, Aimee Mann, Tracy Chapman, Mark Knopfler, etc so mostly acoustic or guitar based I suppose you might say!!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2006
    rega3, Feb 20, 2006
  4. rega3

anon_bb Honey Badger

I suggest you pop down to walrus systems in london as they stock all of the decks (except the vpi) plus the funk and a few more.

anon_bb, Feb 20, 2006
  5. rega3

rega3

I've been in with Walrus a couple of times, not for demos just to pick up a couple of bits and pieces, and get some good advice!! My main problem is that even if I choose a deck in the UK, I have the setup problem after getting it shipped back to Ireland. I would probably be able to give it a good go, but would be worried that it may not be set up to the optimum. Even Walrus admit on their site that the Aurora is difficult to set up correctly, and they are setting up decks continuously!!

rega3, Feb 20, 2006
  6. rega3

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hi

Out of those listed I'd go with the VPI.

You may want to consider adding a used Nottingham Analogue Interspace to the list, which can be had for about £450 with a RB250 arm normally

bottleneck, Feb 20, 2006
  7. rega3

anon_bb Honey Badger

Then go for the funk that needs no real setting up of the deck that I can see. they can fit the arm just leaving you to fit the cartridge. I think they do a package with the rb300 and denon cartridge for under a grand. Or you could buy the cartridge locally and get a local dealer to fit it.

anon_bb, Feb 20, 2006
  8. rega3

Stereo Mic

I'd tend to agree with Bottleneck and recommend the Vpi. If you listen to acoustic music, the decks with unipivots do seem to add a little expression. The Vpi has the advantage that it also times superbly, and is readily upgradable.

Speaking from experience, it is also a piece of cake to set up.

Funk is of course flavour of the month and not bad, but I feel the Rega arm is likely to be a limiting factor in your case. The Gyro with a Hadcock might be fun, but more hassle.

Stereo Mic, Feb 20, 2006
  9. rega3

lordsummit moderate mod

The Funk and the Clearaudio would be I think out of their league against the VPI and the Origin. The VPI would be my choice to be honest, although needles spins were selling the top Pro-ject for £750 a few weeks ago. If he's any of those left you could think about that. It might not be glamorous but it'll certainly sound good

lordsummit, Feb 20, 2006
  10. rega3

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

I own an RPM9 and think its very good value for money. The service from the distributor & spare parts availability is very good too. £750 for a 9XP is great.

The decks mentioned above are all very good afaik. I doubt you'll be disappointed with any of them. The VPI's reputation is peerless though, and of the above, would be the one to go for. Remember that Cherished record co have them for £900 new.

The Michell will hold its value the best though, if that's important to you?

Rgds,
    DT

Dynamic Turtle, Feb 20, 2006
  11. rega3

johnhunt recidivist

i'd also factor consideration of resale values of any tt - i would have thought that OL would score low on that count

johnhunt, Feb 20, 2006
  12. rega3

rega3

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm not too worried about resale value, because I intend holding onto the deck for a while; I've had the RP3 since 1989!!

Seems like the VPI comes highly regarded, and what I like about it too is that the setup appears to be quite simple compared to the others, I've downloaded the setup guide from the web and it is only two pages long!

rega3, Feb 20, 2006
  13. rega3

rega3

Just checked their web site re the Scout. How can they be £400 cheaper than dealer prices? Are they the distributors and has anyone on here dealt with them before? Just wondering.

rega3, Feb 20, 2006
  14. rega3

Stereo Mic

Rega,

They were the distributors but no longer. They are great to deal with, and courtious to boot.

I suspect it's their way of sticking two fingers up.

Stereo Mic, Feb 20, 2006
  15. rega3

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

We have just the one left. They require next to no setup. Actually no setup at all if you want it shipped with a cart, other than setting the VTF.

Uncle Ants, Feb 20, 2006
  16. rega3

rega3

Thanks for that, they dont have a postal address, just a P.O. Box number, just wondering if anyone had bought from them directly.
    Will give them a ring.

R

rega3, Feb 20, 2006
  17. rega3

adam

I have the VPI scoutmaster,the arm can be tricky at first and takes a bit of getting used to after a Rega arm.Dynavector or ZXY carts work well on it.it's built like a tank.

adam, Feb 20, 2006
  18. rega3

rega3

Tricky to set up or tricky to use?

rega3, Feb 20, 2006
  19. rega3

adam

Tricky to set it up at first,takes a bit of getting used to,but once it's done it's fine.

adam, Feb 21, 2006
  20. rega3

anon_bb Honey Badger

Try to get a listen before you buy - I am interested in how the vpi's sound never having heard one myself.

anon_bb, Feb 21, 2006
Ask a Question