Turntable: Passive or Active Speakers?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by samslegg, Jul 15, 2020.

1. samslegg

samslegg

Hi All,

Didn't know where to post this question, and this seemed like a good website for it, so this is my first post! Would appreciate it if someone could give me some advice. Note: I'm very much an amateur, so apologies if I'm light on detail.

I have a turntable for listening to vinyl. Nothing fancy. Fairly cheap Audio Technica. ~£150

I have bought some studio monitors for it (active speakers), a pair of KRK Rokit Classic 5. Again, not too bad (so I've heard) but still on the fairly cheap end. ~£250 together.

However, after plugging it in and playing around with it's location and dials on the back of it, I just can't seem to find a great sound. It's ok, but not great. It doesn't make for a more enjoyable listen that what a Bose Bluetooth speaker would, which is a shame considering it is a turntable and stereo speakers.

What would you recommend to get a better audio quality?

1. Invest more in a better turntable and set of speakers.
    2. Sell the active speakers and get an amplifier and passive set of speakers.

I want something better than I would listening on a Bluetooth speaker, whilst not having to spend too much.

Thanks a lot,

Sam

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    samslegg, Jul 15, 2020
    1. Advertisements

2. samslegg

Sergeauckland

2) would definitely be a bad idea. Active 'speakers are always a better technique, although of course good passive 'speakers are better than poor actives!

As to 1), neither the turntable nor the loudspeakers are particularly bad, but could certainly be bettered. It depends what you find unsatisfying about the combination you have. First of all, try using your computer or 'phone as a source and play a CD, BBC Radio 3 or 4 or good quality stream. That will tell you how good the 'speakers are. If they're satisfying enough, then you're likely to get a better result from improving the turntable, if not, then almost always the biggest improvements come from the loudspeakers.

S.

Sergeauckland, Aug 2, 2020
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question