Turntable positioning

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by zuludawn, Sep 25, 2021.

1. zuludawn

zuludawn

Hi all, hope you can help me with this one. My equipment (deck, pre-amp, amp, cd and power supply) cannot sit central to the speakers. (B&W PM1's). They will have to sit outside of the right hand side speaker. What is a safe distance with regard to "interference" between the two? Thanks.

zuludawn, Sep 25, 2021
  2. zuludawn

Sergeauckland

There is no general safe distance, it's pretty much individual to each installation and depends mainly on the turntable, the loudspeakers, the turntable support and the room construction.

The way I would tell if it's OK is to put the stylus down on a stationary LP, select the phono source and turn the volume up to what would be a loud listening level and see if there's any feedback. With the volume control up as before, then gently tap the turntable or plinth and see if the tapping noise coming through the loudspeakers is clean, or if that sets off feedback. If you don't get any, then you're OK with the turntable in that position. If you do, then it'll have to be moved further away, or use other methods of isolation.

S

Sergeauckland, Sep 25, 2021
    chris_w likes this.
  3. zuludawn

zuludawn

So grateful for your reply with advice. Followed your instructions to the letter with good results, no feedback at all. Even better is that I'm now able to move the turntable further away from the speaker. Thanks again for your help, really appreciated.

zuludawn, Sep 26, 2021
    Sergeauckland likes this.
  4. zuludawn

chris_w

Try and keep the distance between the TT and the phono -stage as short as is practically possible as longer leads can reduce the SQ. Sending line level to the amp/preamp a distance is not normally a problem especally if you use screened mic cable interconnects.

chris_w, Oct 2, 2021
  5. zuludawn

zuludawn

Will do. Thanks for the info Chris.

zuludawn, Oct 3, 2021
Ask a Question