universal remote control , i need advice please.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by rob, Oct 8, 2004.

1. rob

rob SCHMOOOOKIN

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=22639&item=5724518988&rd=1

just got a new telly of e bay and when i got it home the reomte dosent work with it. its a cheap universal remote. i contacted the guy who sold it to me and he said he will try and sort something for me , meanwhile i dont have a telly and the other half is missing corry , east enders , sex in the city and all the other programs that i have to pretend to like , no doubt youve guessed she's giving me an earfull on an hourly basis.
    so , universal remotes , i need one that can tune the telly in because i cant do it manually and i need it today(i can order a pattern but it will be next week before it arrives) so does anyone have any experiance with universal remotes?

cheers,
    Rob.

rob, Oct 8, 2004
  2. rob

andrew1810

I find that most one-for-all remotes are pretty good and do everything they need to.

Might be worth trying any other TV remotes you have lying around, often then work on other TV's!!

If you want a decent one, I have the one-for-all Kameleon 6 which is great, looks nice and operates everything, bit expensive at £80 though as thats more than the TV!!

Otherwise, just go to Dixons or somewhere and get one of their cheaper ones, it should work ok

Andrew

andrew1810, Oct 8, 2004
  3. rob

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

I bought a Sunwave SRC3000 from maplins, see my thread in the review section. It has both built-in codes and programmability from existing remotes, with an extensive list of compatible models, from even quite obscure manufacturers. All mainstream stuff supported.

I-S, Oct 8, 2004
  4. rob

analoguekid Planet Rush

I think you're gonna need the manufacturer remote, as as far as I'm aware all the universals need to learn, the codes for your existing remote.

analoguekid, Oct 8, 2004
  5. rob

andrew1810

My one-for-all came with a book with a list of codes in the back, you just keep trying them until one works but it didn't need the original remote

Andrew

andrew1810, Oct 8, 2004
  6. rob

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

AK - not the case. The Sunwave I have has a huge number of built-in codes, and a double-sided A2 piece of paper printed in very small text listing what manufacturer's components are what pre-programmed code set.

I-S, Oct 8, 2004
  7. rob

analoguekid Planet Rush

Well there you are then, I did say as far as i'm aware, just shows that I wasn;'t that aware in this case, FWIW i have a Marantz 3200 and it is a lot more robust than the sunfire one (different brand same controller) I had before, we had laminate floor and fell off couch a coupla times and broke screen replaced with marantz which has been dropped a few times and all is fine, sunfire not so robust if you are careless.

analoguekid, Oct 8, 2004
  8. rob

Sgt Rock

The TV is standard Philips RC5 codes you won't have a problem, most uni remotes do rc5

Sgt Rock, Oct 8, 2004
  9. rob

Sgt Rock

10. rob

rob SCHMOOOOKIN

HI guys,
    i got the one for all remote today and all is working.
    i went into dixons and the guy told me it wouldent work however i called the one for all helpline before i went out to buy one and they said it would work , so he was talking outta his bum hole.
    i then went to maplins and they sold me one assuring me it would work.
    when i got it home i had to call the one for all help line because it wouldent access the instalation menu on my telly,they told me to phone philips to find out how the old remote worked and after numerous calls to various dept's at philips i eventually found out that it was two star buttons to tune the telly. i then had to phone one for all back and they ran through the set up procedure with me.
    so , after nearly a full day of sorting it out i can watch the telly.
    now the only problem i have is a crapp reception.
    when writing comes up on the telly its got a shadow and cant be read , its the same with the picture , there is a slight shadow so to speak on say a person or similar object within the picture. teletext is scrambled as well , do you recon this is due to a weak signal?

rob, Oct 8, 2004
  11. rob

analoguekid Planet Rush

You may just need to fanny about with the ariel position, bit fiddly but free, of course you really need one of RA's upgraded coax leads :)

analoguekid, Oct 8, 2004
  12. rob

rob SCHMOOOOKIN

the arials up on the roof.
    i got one of those indoor jobbys but that dosent make it any better.
    perhaps i do need a ra pure silver , tripple screened , gold plated coex installed by the man him self and only bettered by the hand of god.

rob, Oct 8, 2004
  13. rob

kermit still dreaming.......

If you,ve got an Aldis close by .
    Pop in and see if they still have their 8 in 1 remotes for sale .
    I bought one for the princlely sum of £5
    For this sort of money you just can,t go wrong .
    It has macro funtions and learning ability .
    I,m running six bits of kit with it , including my hifi .

kermit, Oct 8, 2004
  14. rob

Hex Spurt

Philips do a series of simple preprogrammed remotes that will operate most of their tellys. They start at under £10 and are brilliant for those of us who want to keep the proper remote hidden away from teething children. Here's a start: http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/remote-controls/philips-sbcru151.asp

Alternatively the One-4-Alls work well. If you have a Sky remote then that can control TVs too.

Hex Spurt, Oct 8, 2004
  15. rob

nsherin In stereo nirvana...

Yep, the Phlips ones work pretty well. When my parents moved back from Hong Kong, the remote for their Sharp telly seemed to have gone missing. The £10 Philips from Argos seems to be fine with it.

nsherin, Oct 8, 2004
  16. rob

Saab

I Had a marantz 3200,but i found it difficult to personalize it,even with the pc suite i downloaded,and the one-touch buttons would never download and one remote would transmit it learn mode at all.I would recommend the newer Philips pronto colour jobbie,about 125 quid on ebay,maybe more

Saab, Oct 8, 2004
  17. rob

andrew1810

Does anyone know when the new Kameleon will be coming over here?
    It looks great and apparently has a charger which is useful as mine eats batteries. Seems to be US only at the moment though (as usual)

andrew1810, Oct 8, 2004
Ask a Question