update, this post..2nd Post..go easy on me :)

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by starkiller, Jul 10, 2007.

1. starkiller

starkiller

well, went and traded back in the em95's and got some kefc45's..and at least at the hifi place they really sounded good, now to set them up here, he also threw in a brand new set of stands, now i have to go out and buy some sand :)

anyone have info/specs on these or a flyer or brochure that they could either email or snail me to me? would be willing to pay for postage of course

i already posted in the "newcomer" area so wont bore anyone with repeating myself, but, i currently have a set of wharfedale em95's in my living room which honestly just dont sound all that good, in fact, i put my castle warick monitors on top and both my wife and i prefered them. anyway, i can bring them back for full credit and they have some other british speakers there and was wondering if anyone here had opinions of them as i cant really spend all day there(but would love to)

kef c35
    c45
    c55
    monitor audio r262

i love my mission 70's, and my wharfedale xp2 and especially my castle warwicks. kind be very difficult here in the states to find a good but reasonably priced imported speaker so any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2007
    starkiller, Jul 10, 2007
  2. starkiller

Jimbo

Hi and welcome.
    I am at the moment looking to replace my speakers. I havent heard the speakers you mention but the only way to be satisfied is to spend time listening to as many as you can and demo at home. Only then will you know you have picked the best in your budget. Some speakers are room dependant. Have you tried moving them slightly a bit at a time, toeing in, moving them away from walls. Sometimes this helps. Jim.

Jimbo, Jul 10, 2007
  3. starkiller

DavidF

Again, hi and welcome,

Hope i'm note trying to tell you how to suck eggs here but that relationship between speakers and room is SO important (IHMO)...it never fails to amaze me.

Again i hope I'm not quoting the obvious to you but have you tried.....

1) You need a GOOD distance between speakers, with you, the speakers and the listener foring an equilateral triangle.

2) the distance betwen listener and each speaker should be pretty much equal.....

3) not sure if you're speakers are stand mounters...if they are , are you using good solid stands that won't resonate excessively.

.....there are 101 games you can play to improve sonics.......

best regs,

David

DavidF, Jul 10, 2007
  4. starkiller

lAmBoY Lothario and Libertine

Tweeter height is also important. Take your best listening position and see if the tweeters align with your ears heightwise. If not, try angling the front or back of your speaker stands to get the tweeters firing to your ears. High freq sounds are very directional.

//lamboy

lAmBoY, Jul 11, 2007
  5. starkiller

starkiller

yeah, i know that placement is critical and a couple of inches either way can make quite a difference, found that out with my maggies :) my listening room has a wood floor also so that also has to be taken into account..

i think the fact that i put the castle's on top of the wharfedales and thus brought the tweeter up higher really made a difference and if nothing else showed that i need stands.

starkiller, Jul 11, 2007
  6. starkiller

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

SK

how big is your room and what's your budget?

Cheers
    Chris

bottleneck, Jul 11, 2007
  7. starkiller

starkiller

room is probably say 20x20..one of the problems is the wood floor and the placement of the rig..its against a broken up wall, with 3 ft openings on both sides of the speakers..kinda like this..

_________________ __________
    w speaker-rig-speaker closet
    a
    l
    l

my budget is very cheap, thats why i am returning the em95's and going with a set of speakers on stands...thats also why i was hoping someone would have opinions on the speakers i mentioned :)

starkiller, Jul 11, 2007
  8. starkiller

your wooden floor will be a real sound killer (imo).

I'd be raiding the piggy-bank to buy a great big rug.

It will make the room sound better, and look great too!... domestic satisfaction in 1 easy step :)

You have a big room, and the wooden floor (even when largely covered by a rug) will IME of wooden floors... cause a dry/echoey sound.

One good way to try to get round that is with a very directional loudspeaker.

I'd look at getting some Quad 57's or 63's. The tight 'sound beam' you get from these (didn't you used to use maggies?) will cause less room interaction IMO.

I'd also put a question mark over a very small speaker in what is (by British standards) a big room.. so if you do go the stand-mount route, I'd go for something a bit more chunky... especially taking into account that wooden floor with it's dry/echoey sound.

bottleneck, Jul 11, 2007
  9. starkiller

starkiller

anything specific model wise that fits that "chunky" category? would like to keep it in the castle/kef/wharfedale/monitor audio/mission area if i could...and most of those are very hard to find here in the states, especially in a "used" state :)

all i know is that when i put those castles on top of the wharfedales it sounded real real nice..

starkiller, Jul 11, 2007
  10. starkiller

My time with Castles (only had decent time with one standmount and the Harlech floorstanders), showed what I'd personally call an easy to listen to presentation, relaxed sound.. not so great with rock our punchy music - better with the opposite.

My complete guess is that mellow / bassy/ sound is good with your wooden floor.

All presumption on my behalf.

If you like that 'relaxed sound' (I'm going to upset some people here) try some Harlechs like these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Castle-Harlec...ryZ14993QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

If budgets are tighter, Spendor BC1's might be up your street, or some JR 149 standmounts.. going from biggish to medium to tiddly.

bottleneck, Jul 11, 2007
  11. starkiller

starkiller

hmm, will check out places around here in the seattle area but i have a feeling that i am going to have to make do with something not quite so great and work my way up as i "find" deals :)

thanks for all the help!

starkiller, Jul 11, 2007
  12. starkiller

starkiller

post update...my room is only 12x12, not what i said before...and yet another question...should i or shouldnt i use the spike feet on the stands?

starkiller, Jul 12, 2007
  13. starkiller

bottleneck, Jul 12, 2007
  14. starkiller

bottleneck, Jul 12, 2007
Ask a Question