Using an Integrated Amp as a Power Amp

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by huric9, Oct 15, 2009.

1. huric9

huric9

I am confused by this and can't figure it out from the manuals. Perhaps someone can help.

I have a Cyrus PreXvs Preamp (with a PSXR power supply) which I would like to use with my Roksan Kandy MKIII integrated amp and Roksan Kandy MKIII power amp in a bi-amped setup.

Obviously I can use the two Kandys in a bi-amp mode by themselves but I feel that the Pre Xvs (it has a PSXR power supply also) is slightly higher end and would benefit my system. Thus I would like to use the Cyrus Preamp with the two Roksan Kandys (one of them is an integrated amp) as power amps. Is this possible?

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely huric9

huric9, Oct 15, 2009
  2. huric9

the_young_once budget-conscious

Hi huric9,

I am not familiar with the Cyrus but what you are proposing definitely sounds possible :cool: So you are treating the Kandy integrated as a power amp also--using just one input and sort of matching the volume (gain) with the Kandy power and leaving it for good?

As long as the Cyrus has 2 pairs of pre-outs it should work!

PS, the Kandy integrated itself is a sweet gig, I like it a lot, one of the candidates should I think of getting SS gear again :D

Cheers,
    Kenny

the_young_once, Oct 15, 2009
  3. huric9

huric9

Thank you Young Once!

Yes, the Cyrus does have two pre-outs

huric9, Oct 15, 2009
  4. huric9

robert_cyrus

Technically, yes, you can do this, once you have got the hang of using 2 volume controls.
    I suspect running the signal through 2 preamps (the Cyrus one and the Roksan integrated) may potentially degrade the signal, so personally I'd investigate Cyrus + Roksan power vs Roksans biamped, but if you're happy with using all 3, then you can.

If the Roksan integrated has a fixed input option (as do the Cyrus integrateds, to allow their use with offboard surround decoders for example) then this would simplify integration of all 3.

robert_cyrus, Oct 15, 2009
  5. huric9

huric9

Thanks Robert

huric9, Oct 15, 2009
Ask a Question