Using UK Network CD-Player in US

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by QualityOverQuantity, Nov 24, 2021.

1. QualityOverQuantity

QualityOverQuantity

Hello Everyone,

First of all, (I'm already aware that I will need to use a step-up transformer)
    Also, before anyone asks, ( I like this unit because I need a silver finish cd-player and a silver finish FM tuner/Internet Radio unit to go with the silver Yamaha A-S801, this unit covers all three.)

I'm interested in buying a Yamaha CD-NT670 that is a UK model.https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/hifi_components/cd-nt670d/index.html
    The seller is a little hesitant about selling it to me because we're not sure if all the features will work here in the US. He did say that Tidal and Spotify should be fine, but is mentioning a possible issue with the DNS/IP routing as the machine will know that it is not in the UK. Having the Internet Radio and FM Tuner work are my biggest concerns.
    After reading the Overview and Specs from the link above can anyone shed some light on what features would work and not work here in the US?

Thank you

QualityOverQuantity, Nov 24, 2021
  2. QualityOverQuantity

Sergeauckland

FM radio won't work correctly as the UK and Europe use 50uS deemphasis whilst the USA and Canada use 75uS. That means that the higher frequencies will be accentuated. That may be OK, it'll be like turning the treble control up a few notches, but it won't be right. I don't see any provision in the manual for changing the deemphasis, but you may be able to get North American firmware that may address that.

Internet radio should be fine, as whether you can receive a station depends on where you're located according to your IP address, rather than what equipment you're using.

S

Sergeauckland, Nov 26, 2021
  3. QualityOverQuantity

QualityOverQuantity

After receiving your message I went searching and came across this https://www.radiomuseum.org/forum/fm_pre_emphasis_and_de_emphasis.html that covers exactly what you're saying, but doesn't mention anything about (but it won't be right) It just states the there will be a treble boost of 3.5 dB so the neutral position of the tone control knobs will be different. I can live with that.

So you're saying the physical device plays no part, all internet/networking devices throughout the world use the same ethernet and wireless connection settings? On a computer I can go in and change settings, but we're talking about a cd player that may have everything pre set from the factory for the country it was made for.

Thanks

QualityOverQuantity, Nov 26, 2021
  4. QualityOverQuantity

Sergeauckland

For some reason I don't understand, I can't see your reply, only the email I received with your reply in it.
    Anyway, as far as I'm aware, ethernet should be the same everywhere, so if you connect to your router that way, I would be very surprised if it didn't work. As far as wifi goes, you could check what your wifi router supports, the Yamaha supports IEEE802.11 b,g &n, which being international standards, should work worldwide. I've never heard of wifi equipment from Europe not working in the USA or elsewhere.

Ultimately, only you can decide if importing the equipment from the UK is worth the cost and the risk, including warranty or service. Personally, there would have to be overwhelming reasons why I'd want to do it, as service and maintenance is something I'm always concerned about.

Hope it all goes well.

Sergeauckland, Nov 26, 2021
  5. QualityOverQuantity

QualityOverQuantity

This is what I see on the site, see attached. All I'm trying to do is get all silver, polished, aluminum finish equipment. Every other country has the option of ugly black or classy silver finish, except the US for some reason. We're only given the ugly black finish versions. I was going to go with the Silver, A-S801 integrated amp, but they don't make cd-players or networking equipment in silver finish to go along with it.

Attached Files:

QualityOverQuantity, Nov 29, 2021
Ask a Question