valve pre options?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Coda II, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Coda II

Coda II getting there slowly

Having come very close to buying an EAR 802 recently I'm just having another look at what's worth a look/listen in valve pre amps.

From memory, the WD pre3 is well liked here - but would be over budget new (as I don't feel confident enough to do the build myself).

Does anyone here have experience of the Transcendent Sound Grounded Grid?

Any other suggestions welcome, it would be to replace a TVC so needs to retain the transparency but bring a bit more to the mix as well.

Thanks

Coda II, Mar 6, 2009
  2. Coda II

Purite Audio Purite Audio

The best way is to try and gather as many possibles together at your place, and drive yourself mad , I mean form an opinion, for yourself, Keith.

Purite Audio, Mar 6, 2009
  3. Coda II

Baudrillard

I'm looking for a s/h balanced tube pre, preferably lowish gain. Difficult to find examples to audition, though.

Baudrillard, Mar 6, 2009
  4. Coda II

Trying to do just that (opinion not mad)

ps. Thursday/Friday next week would be good for me

Coda II, Mar 6, 2009
  5. Coda II

Seriously you might try Vacuum State, does Dave still bring those in, I have only heard good things about their sound, ( Thursday friday it is ) Kieth.

6. Coda II

Don't think he had any last time I popped in - just checked his site as well and they aren't listed anymore. There are supposed to be some new pre amps from Puresound sometime soon though and he is a stockist now.

Coda II, Mar 6, 2009
  7. Coda II

I was chatting to Guy about the new pre is it the L300? I am sure it will be good but I have an idea it is around £4.5k ish. Definitely worth a listen, Keith.

8. Coda II

The site talks of an L10 as well, I was hoping this would be rather more 'entry level'; 10 has got to be cheaper than 300 of anything, hasn't it?

Coda II, Mar 6, 2009
  9. Coda II

RobHolt Moderator

Point about being over budget noted, but the World Design Pre 3 is available in balanced configuration with miniature XLR sockets fitted. (and plugs provided).

A very nice pre amp that will drive any load unlike the vast majority of valve units. It will even produce sound from very sensitive speakers as in essence its a miniature single ended power amp :)

RobHolt, Mar 8, 2009
  10. Coda II

I have been having another look at it. Are the instructions available to look at anywhere? couldn't see them on the WD site, just thought having a read through would give me a better idea as to whether it's something I have a reasonable chance of completing successfully. Also had a trawl through the classifieds on the WD forum and didn't see a single one for sale - does that just indicate satisfied owners?

Coda II, Mar 8, 2009
  11. Coda II

RobHolt Moderator

Lack of used amps for sale is to be expected as the Pre 3 hasn't been around for long.

There are some Hi-Fi World articles on the build and it looks very simple. The unit contains a handful of components which are soldered to a screen printed pcb. If you can solder it would be difficult to go wrong - and even if you do the WD support folk and the forum will sort you out.

Send Peter Comeau a PM and perhaps he'll send you build instructions pdf.

RobHolt, Mar 8, 2009
  12. Coda II

technobear Ursine Audiophile

technobear, Mar 10, 2009
  13. Coda II

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hi

The emporium had one of these for sale on Ebay, only about £300.

I THINK it was 'penance' on this forum who had one. I also THINK it was Wadia Meister who reccomended it to him. If you do a forum search on the brand it will probably pop up. This is going back a couple of years.

bottleneck, Mar 11, 2009
  14. Coda II

Just a quick update; still need to follow up some of the above but Keith's Allnic pre arrived last week and I've been having an interesting time with it.

In general it's a very listenable amp, does more of the lots of little improvements across several areas rather than one stand out party trick, but all the better for that in my view.

Yes it's several orders of magnitude over budget, but in a way that makes it easier to come to dispassionate conclusions about.

Coda II, Mar 20, 2009
  15. Coda II

larkrise Sheepdogs prefer red wine

I've a Shindo for sale (it may have gone as a chap in europe is seriously interested) - this is one of God's own preamps - but may be more than you want to pay (£1600) - It is however an ARC Reference beater and rarer than pigeon's dentures second-hand.

BTW if you do see an EAR 802 that is a bargain - very nice sounding preamp

larkrise, Mar 22, 2009
  16. Coda II

Yes looked at your Shindo, yes looks interesting, yes too much money (by about 1K)!

Just a few more thoughts about where I'm getting to with the Allnic though (yes also too much money, in case anyone was wondering).

I think it's the first time I've had an amp here that was so noticeably different with different sources and different types of music. The first CD I played when it arrived was Bach Goldbergs; as it turns out solo piano (on CD) is one of things this amp excels in for me. The first disappointment was how it got on with my vinyl set-up. Having brought some rather nice weight, smoothness and delicate phrasing to CD, with vinyl (Strauss 4 last songs was first up) the upper registers of the soprano voice were rather thin and lacking texture as were upper violins. Having conferred with Keith I swapped my standard stranded copper cables for the ones Keith sent down with the amp - full marks to Keith for knowing what suits his amp as they seemed to have the desired effect.

Having now had a bit more playing time with both formats though, I still think the Allnic is better matched to my CD front end. It seems to have a slight softening effect, not woolly or muffled, but just taking off a bit of the edginess. With a vinyl set-up that is fairly smooth to start with: clearaudio aurum basics/RB250/spacedeck/ANT Kora, I think the softening from the pre may be a step too far leaving a rather exposed upper range which could in fact be down to the ribbons in my SD1s (a touch on the aggressive side) or indeed the Quad 909 providing the power at present.
    One other reservation is to do with attack; how notes start - it doesn't have the crispness of my Promitheus and I also have in the back of my mind the rather nice timbre I heard from my speakers on the end of an EAR 869 (I know it's not important to everyone, but it is to me).

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2009
    Coda II, Mar 23, 2009
  17. Coda II

giant haystacks

Hi someone was selling a Paul Hynes line stage a few months back in the classified ,this would be great, The man who built my amplification makes a little linestage using ecc88s about the size of a prayer book it is very good ,it was ment for sources with volume control one set of inputs and one set of outputs,you could make a switching unit with volume control, Ecofansound,in N .Zealand is the company name, some of his products have been reviewed on the net.goodluck

giant haystacks, Mar 26, 2009
  18. Coda II

thanks haystacks
    larkrise: if you're reading, any comment on the Hynes pre?

Coda II, Mar 26, 2009
  19. Coda II

Just a quick follow up.
    Have had a Croft Micro 25 on trial and like it very much. As suggested above I contacted WD and they have been very helpful; first sending through the build instructions and then last week providing a loan unit for me to have a listen to.
    So far though I've been rather disappointed with it. It doesn't sound bad at all; but I do find it more biased to the lively, airy sound that I associate with some modern hifi, it puts me in mind of much of the Cyrus I've heard - not in itself a bad thing but the Croft seems to be doing much better at the subtle colourations of mid and treble that I've been after.
    It may be that it just doesn't make a good match for the ribbons in my speakers.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2009
    Coda II, Apr 19, 2009
Ask a Question