(Very) Cheap Amp Needed To Partner Wharfedale Diamond 9.0s

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by RDD, Aug 6, 2008.

1. RDD

RDD Longterm Lurker

Hope you can help, I've recently bought a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.0 for a bargain price, my aim is to build a HiFi for under a ton, but we'll see how we go :D

The basic idea is that I already have some cables (Ixos Gamma speaker cable and QED Quenex 1 interconnect), some speaker stands and I also have a CD spinner in the form of an old Pioneer DVD player, which will do for now, the aim is simply to get it to make music pretty well - I can add to it later.

However I've never heard the Diamonds so have no idea how they sound or what amp's Wharfedales pair well with. As it stands I have around £50 to play with to find the missing amp, could you suggest anything that pairs well with Wharfedales ideally already on eBay (though I can search myself no worries) - I've heard Marantz, NAD and even CA work well together but would appreciate your input - thanks!

RDD, Aug 6, 2008
  2. RDD

greenhomeelectr

Hi there, hope I am not breaking any protocol here but have a look at my web site - www.greenhomeshop.co.uk, you should find something there.
    Dave.

greenhomeelectr, Aug 6, 2008
  3. RDD

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Are you handy with a soldering iron by any chance?

amazingtrade, Aug 6, 2008
  4. RDD

RDD Longterm Lurker

:) I'm not too bad AT, but not really up to changing IC's etc....

Some interesting amp's there greenhomeelectr, I'd be open to suggestions on some of the sub 50 note one's on your site too if anyone knows of a good match, the Rotel looks nice for example

RDD, Aug 6, 2008
  5. RDD

greenhomeelectr

The Rotels are really good value for money. A decent "starter" amp, no bells and whistles but good design and decent sound, hard to beat for the money. There is also an Aiwa new in at 40 quid, that would surprise most people, it's one of their better efforts before they started making the all in one stuff. The Pioneer A22 is an oldie but goodie, very tight in the bass department. Not so good on modern deep bas and highly percussive stuff but excellent on classical, easy listening, jazz and the such like. The Sony TAFE300R has a surprisingly pleasing sound to it as well. I think The Rotel is the best all rounder but any of the above will serve you well and give you some sounds.
    Hope that helps, shout if you want to come and listen to anything.
    Dave.

greenhomeelectr, Aug 7, 2008
  6. RDD

defride

You might find an older Audiolab 8000a for that sort of money-ish. Worked well for me a few years ago with Mourdant Short MS812s, a friend used one with earlier generation Wharfedales.

defride, Aug 7, 2008
  7. RDD

lordsummit moderate mod

Nice site Greenhomeelectricals but......

From the AUP.

However feel free to advertise in the trade section of the site, you can have your own thread to advertise on if you wish!

lordsummit, Aug 7, 2008
  8. RDD

RDD Longterm Lurker

I'd actually love to come and pick it up GHE but it's a bit of a drive as I live at the very top end of Lancashire! I'll certainly be considering the Rotel, it's a brand that I've had a fondness for a while now and one that I haven't tried (went through a Cyrus phase last year!), thanks for the info.

Good call on the Audiolab Defride, totally forgot about them, I'll have a browse for those too, thanks!

RDD, Aug 7, 2008
  9. RDD

spev

I've got a cambridge audio A3i up for sale. Was thinking £50 delivered. Can sort some further info and photos if you want. I'm on the wirral so may be able to meet/collect.

Cheers

James

spev, Aug 19, 2008
  10. RDD

RDD Longterm Lurker

Thanks for the offer Spev, I actually ended up with a Denon PMA-255UK, I've got it all hooked up and it sounds sweet as a nut, very clear and the detail/vocals are excellent, almost headphone like. Very slight bit of sibilance but I've heard that before and I think it was when I used the Pioneer as a CD player in the past, I'm not worried as it's not really bad and I intend swapping it for an actual CD player at some point but I'm happy for now :D

Thanks for the help everyone, I did mean to update this thread but got side tracked!

RDD, Aug 19, 2008
Ask a Question