Vintage Hi-fi

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by nando, Dec 7, 2013.

1. nando

nando nando

i am experiencing the pleasure of getting hold of seventies hi-fi of all sorts and makes, apart from nostalgia, they sound quite pleasent,amps like cambrige p 60 to luxman l85v , sansui, t/t's like pioneer pl 12d, goldring lenco , gl 78, quad 33-405, i wonder if a full circle for people our age are thinking of clearing the cobwebs and find some hi-items they forgot they have ?

nando, Dec 7, 2013
  2. nando

felix part-time Horta

Or the realisation that many of these items are solidly even beautifully made, a pleasure to use in their direct action - the last generation of home audio equipment as an Engineering endeavour, before marketing really took hold on product development. And before some git invented the blue LED.

And audio engineering really hasn't moved on so far in useful directions; perhaps %THD moved one decimal place to the right, maybe...

But you have to live with this stuff; might as well own and use only things you appreciate for their own intrinsic aesthetic. Sure, good sound is the major point of interest but pleasing engineering, case design and tactile qualities only add to that gestalt :)

felix, Dec 7, 2013
  3. nando

nando nando

I Have Found In The Atic An Aiwa Xk-s 9000 Tape Deck Still On It's Original Box, I Only Used It Twice, Felix Do I Stand A Chance To Sell It ?

nando, Dec 9, 2013
  4. nando

RobHolt Moderator

Going by the ever increasing prices of decent vintage gear on ebay, I think quite a few are realising that hi-fi from the golden era has much to offer.

I'd agree with Martin, if you put digital to one side there has been little or no real progress in many areas. Even for the spec freaks, you could get extremely low numbers by the end of the 70s.

In some areas we clearly went into reverse.
    A good mid 70s high-end Japanese FM tuner will spank anything made in the past 20 years. Or look at the likes of the Technics top model MM & MC cartridges - absolute stunners. Something like the ECP205 which had a flat line response, no in-band resonances, lower tip mass than anything produced today, high output, was impervious to loading, tracked anything at 1.5g. There is nothing comparable today at any price, and it cost £50.

Mission's 774 arm. Rigid construction, play-free bearings, full adjustable, 5g effective mass, low inertia, underslung counterweight, adjustable fluid damping.....etc .etc. If Rega launched it today they wouldn't be able to keep up with demand. Its from 1978!

Technics SP10 and all of the other tank-like DD turntables so cruelly pissed on by the uk press.

RobHolt, Dec 9, 2013
  5. nando

nando nando

hi rob, i know i am looking at what hi-fi was around in those times, i have quite a few that i have yet to unlish, just found a state of the art marantz tuner still on it's box, there are lot's more i have to find, i can not keep them , i would like to find someone to buy them, but you and i know what you say is right on the terms of tech. it has not gone but further than diversion, i am sorry that i have to sell my entire record collection,
    regards
    nando.

nando, Dec 9, 2013
  6. nando

felix part-time Horta

<rubs eys>no, I didn't read this, it never happened; um, what is it Nando..?

;)

I'm very sorry you find yourself in such a position by the way - it's one thing to choose a time to discard things you no longer need or want or use; but quite another to feel you must.

felix, Dec 9, 2013
  7. nando

RobHolt Moderator

Yes sorry to hear that Nando.
    Would a fully auto turntable like a Technics SL10 or SL15 let you use the vinyl?

Those sound very good and only require the record be placed on the platter.

Please don't tell me the Marantz has a cope on it.......

RobHolt, Dec 9, 2013
  8. nando

nando nando

hi rob, unfortuanaly i can no longer play records due to my disability, i have still have my avid/ sme, but due also to my sterealthritis i have to sell all of them, none of them have a scracht, the marantz tuner is mint, i have some more dinasours, to get rid off, it's sad i know,
    regards ,
    nando.

nando, Dec 11, 2013
  9. nando

Tenson Moderator

Nando, I remembered last time we talked your illness was importing with treatment? Does the treatment just slow things down?

It sounds like your house must be as full of hi-fi as Rob's! Have you got any turntables in the kitchen cupboards? ;)

Tenson, Dec 11, 2013
  10. nando

nando nando

not in a way simon, ataxia has no cure,it will always control you, howevere the sterealthritis is gone beyond control, but i can still listen to cd's and with a little help from a friend that comes around, he can put an album on for me, happy days. no i haven't got t t's in the kitchen my wife will kill me :)

nando, Dec 11, 2013
  11. nando

Tenson Moderator

Ahh I see. Do you have your music on a hard drive yet? Worth doing that with your CDs. Then you can play from MF Click or similar.

Tenson, Dec 11, 2013
  12. nando

RobHolt Moderator

The TT in my kitchen cupboard with the pots and pans, an old Lenco, is now sold!

I've still got a kitchen cupboard full of wires and old valves that really should go.

Joseph it would good if Simon and i could visit you some time soon.
    It would be nice to catch up for a drink but only if that's convenient for you.
    We'll bring the beer!

RobHolt, Dec 12, 2013
  13. nando

nando nando

THAT WILL BE SUPERVE, i would like that very much guys, very much, thanks,

nando, Dec 12, 2013
  14. nando

Tenson Moderator

Sounds like a plan :) Please let us know a good day / time.

Tenson, Dec 12, 2013
  15. nando

Dev Moderator

Can I tag along as well guys?

Dev, Dec 12, 2013
  16. nando

Tenson Moderator

I'd like that. I hope we don't crown Joseph though!

Tenson, Dec 12, 2013
  17. nando

nando nando

please come dev, it will be good to have you all three together again, please pm me as i have a new mob.number, when are you all thinking of coming ? i am available all the time,lol

nando, Dec 13, 2013
  18. nando

nando nando

Hi Rob,simon And Dev, Will It Be This Week When You Are All Coming?

nando, Dec 16, 2013
  19. nando

Dev Moderator

This week, I'm free only tomorrow or on Wednesday.

Dev, Dec 16, 2013
  20. nando

nando nando

Tomorrow Will Be Ok, Wednesday Will Be Better Dev , See About Rob And Simon, Regards, Look Foward To It,

nando, Dec 16, 2013
Ask a Question