Virtual Audio Cable, VLC And VoiceAttack Soundboard Setup

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by Zizex, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Zizex

Zizex

Virtual Audio Cable, VLC And VoiceAttack Soundboard Setup

*This setup does not utilize VB-Audio, Voicemeeter or Banana etc.. I do not know if they will interfere.

I'm often asked to post how I send sounds into my microphone line. So this is what I came up with that worked for me.
    I hope it helps you if your looking for a little audiophile fun.

• Installation of "Virtual Audio Cable" automatically creates 2 virtual cables in Windows sound properties. Reboot!

• Start 3 MME Audio Repeaters from the Windows "Virtual Audio Cable" program folder.

Dropdown your microphone, lines and speakers in the three the MME repeaters as shown, click ok and minimize!

• Set your default media player or other devices audio output to line two. (VLC media player in my case.)

• Set VoiceAttack's "Override Default Playback Device" and "Default Text-to-Speech Device" options to line one.

• Set all four of VoiceAttack's playback/recording devices options to your systems default microphone and speakers.

• To send sounds into Discord, Zoom, a game, etc., set that programs input or microphone as line two.

That's it! Now you can send sounds to any individual VOIP program.

I use different push-to-talk buttons depending on which program I want to send sounds into so people don't hear me giving a command to VoiceAttack before it plays a sound file.

Here is a link for virtual cable and microphone testing purposes. https://mictests.com/ Test each line individually!

Optional: Batch files can automatically configure and start MME repeaters for you. Feel free to download the four text files here but you will need to edit them to your specific file locations and input/output device names and save them with a dot BAT file extension when finished. Do not use any more than 31-character spaces in quotes for device names. Use the device names exactly as they appear in the corresponding MME audio repeater. The file you rename "3Repeaters.BAT" will be clickable and simply starts all 3 MME repeaters for you. Mine is in my Windows startup folder.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
    Zizex, Sep 5, 2020
  2. Zizex

Zizex

* * * READ ME * * *
    One slight correction on the third instruction line. Where I said click ok and minimize!, I meant to say, click Start and minimize! When I noticed the error I could no longer edit the post. Sorry. :(
    __________________________________________________________________________________________

Here's another little trick I use so I don't have to remember hundreds of file names. (See picture.) I call VoiceAttack to show my file list on my start menu and then click at the top of the screen to hide it again when I'm done. It's fast and it's great if have only one monitor. But your going to need a free program called "Classic Shell". http://classicshell.net/

Modify your start menu by creating a new item and then show VoiceAttack where to go by keys or clicks when you call it. Ctrl-Esc brings my start menu up from anywhere. Yours may be different.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
    Zizex, Sep 6, 2020
  3. Zizex

Zizex

My thanks to The Audio Forum for allowing me to post this here. :) Though my topic may not be much use to an equipment driven community, it may be useful to someone wanting an extremely low cost soundboard to use along side of their equipment. ;)

Zizex, Sep 7, 2020
Ask a Question