VPI Rim Drive

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by lbr, Mar 28, 2008.

1. lbr

robM

Krells.... my preference is for my active ATCs!

robM, Oct 23, 2008
  2. lbr

SMEagol Because we wants it...

good choice!

SMEagol, Oct 23, 2008
  3. lbr

robM

SMEagol... you an Active ATC man?

robM, Oct 23, 2008
  4. lbr

Lordy I wish... I like my humble Tannoy Chatsworths though. Very honest speakers, sorry don't mean to sidetrack the thread.

I can't run to Active ATC's I may well be seeking "Active" employment though if graphic design continues on this nose dive!
    Its awful out there.

My next TT upgrade would be a ceramic/magnetic bearing for my Clearaudio Reference.

SMEagol, Oct 23, 2008
  5. lbr

robM

what's the CA Reference like? I'm in the process (thinking) of upgrading my HRX and was thinking on the lines of a Walker or Merrill or something. I'm off to the States in a month so will listen to a few decks.

robM, Oct 23, 2008
  6. lbr

love it. love it. love it. but I use a Clearaudio/Souther triquartz TQi tonearm and I wouldn't use anything else now. Not scary at all, once its set up its as good as gold. oooh and looks cool.

SMEagol, Oct 23, 2008
  7. lbr

lbr monkey boy

Well, in fairness to them VPI are now back in the game, with possibly plausible excuses for the delay.

I may have misunderstood their explanation before - I believe the fault is that the shaft is slightly too wide at the bearing end for the rim drive. Of a number of potential solutions posited by VPI I have opted for a replacement shaft, with a slightly narrowed end, upon which the Rim Drive will sit.

Once I've received the part and installed everything, I'll post my impressions!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2008
    lbr, Oct 23, 2008
  8. lbr

YNMOAN Trade - AudioFlat

'shaft too wide for the bearing' is engineering code for 'piss poor quality control' - sorry to sound harsh but that is the truth from a manufacturing and engineering point of view; these things happen and the best approach is for the manufacturer to accept the truth and solve the issue ASAP.

YNMOAN, Oct 23, 2008
  9. lbr

lbr monkey boy

couldn't agree more

lbr, Oct 24, 2008
  10. lbr

FrankDeckard

Shindo Labs table is very nice. I do think you need to use their arm and cart though.

How did you swap a 430 for a 599? My FIL has a 360 and an older 328 and I think his 360 is the nicest Ferrari I've been in.

Still like the Maserati Grand Tourismo Sport the best of all. Even with the Paddle.

FrankDeckard, Oct 25, 2008
  11. lbr

lbr monkey boy

I thought shit creek generally came without a paddle ;)

lbr, Oct 25, 2008
  12. lbr

Johnj

Sorry to hear about your issues with the rim drive I know VPI were on Holiday for awhile so perhaps that was the reason for the lousy communication
    Due to the holidays it took me 10 weeks to get my equipmen rather than the promised 6 weeks
    I just got the rim drive myself and no motor issues at all and rumble issues.
    The motor weighs a ton as you have the duel flywheel and then the extra weight of the flywheel which is huge
    No set up issues what so ever
    It does everything i expected just brings me so much closer to the music, so fr me I am really happy with the upgrade

Johnj, Oct 25, 2008
  13. lbr

robM

Hi Frank

The 360 is a nice car. The 430 I had for about a week was a pre-Scuderia Ferrari works car. It was very quick but I do like my creature comforts and the 599 worked out to be a better car for me at the time. I'm not a keen Ferrari man at all. Just went from a 355 to a 430 then off to Italy and ended up with a 599.
    I actually prefer the Benz. It feels small although it's a huge car. The power is always on tap and you don't have to work so hard to get it to do what you want. OK, it's not nimble but I have a nimble car for track days. Tell your FIL to take a trip to Maranello, go to the museum and talk to some main people at the works if he can get there. It's great if you have children.... otherwise can be absolutely boring. Once you've seen one you've pretty much seen them all.

robM, Oct 29, 2008
  14. lbr

Markus S Trade

Would you please continue this discussion on AT's thread?

Markus S, Oct 29, 2008
  15. lbr

lbr monkey boy

Well, VPI have been very good and have supplied a replacement shaft (FOC of course) which has sorted out the problem. I'm installing it now and I'll start a new thread with my impressions once I've had a chance to listen to a few LPs :)

lbr, Dec 2, 2008
Ask a Question