warm, smooth amp recommendations pls

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by jazzpioneer, Apr 9, 2009.

1. jazzpioneer

jazzpioneer

I know some purists will turn up thier noses at my preference, but I would be grateful for any recommendations for a warm, smooth amp to drive my Spendor s5e's.

I know there's no substitiute for listening, but i'd be grateful for tips of where to start.

Why a warm smooth amp?
    -i need a full warm sound at LOW volume levels as this my listening room is below my very young son's room .
    -I seldom listen loudly anyway
    - my listening room has wooden floors and big windows. now I've negotiated corduroy curtains and rugs on the wall & floor, but the room still sounds bright, especially in the summer when one might want the cutains open!
    - I listen to music mostly after a hard day at the factory, while relaxing with a glass of wine
    -I like a warm sound!

Current Amp is an Arcam FMJ A22, cable is VDH Teatrack.

I listen to most music, excepting hard rock & techno. I do like Jazz.

I'm considering a Unison research Unico or Sugden A21a series 2 - any opinions on these? Any other suggestions in the £1000 region? (Happy to buy second hand too)

Thanks in advance.

jazzpioneer, Apr 9, 2009
  2. jazzpioneer

Chris

Only the older class AB (A48) Sugden amps sound warm. The class A amps are not at all warm sounding. They are incredibly clear in the mids and highs and smooth at the same time but not cloggy warm. Apparently very good with the Spendors but have a test drive first.

Chris, Apr 10, 2009
  3. jazzpioneer

mr cat Member of the month

mr cat, Apr 10, 2009
  4. jazzpioneer

la toilette Downright stupid

IMO the A21a and Unico are quite comparable in style and delivery - both smooth and clear, but as Chis says not overly 'warm'. I'd heartily recommend either, as I've previously owned a Sugden A21a and I currently own a Unico (original 80wpc version). Not tried with Spendors but have been a nice match to Rogers and Tannoys.

la toilette, Apr 10, 2009
  5. jazzpioneer

brca Rookie

You should try Creek Destiny integrated. It's a great match with Spendor S5e.

brca, Apr 10, 2009
  6. jazzpioneer

early

Try and have a listen to an EL34 valve amp , I think it will give you what your looking for .

early, Apr 10, 2009
  7. jazzpioneer

DavidF

I was going to say the same thing.

Start with a valve amp and try different valves for the sound you like. I use EL34s but if you have the dosh there are many other to experiment with.

DavidF, Apr 10, 2009
  8. jazzpioneer

RobHolt Moderator

Go for valves is you want to deliberately skew the sound in one direction tonally, but there is no free lunch by following that path. Not all valve amps do this - large, expensive designs such as the EAR models don't sound warm at all but many sub £1k valve amps do.

Personally, I think you would be wasting your money as there are better, simpler, cheaper ways to achieve a warmer sound at low listening levels. I wouldn't change the Arcam for another solid state amplifier as this truly is tinkering at the extremes unless you are swapping it for something that allows subtle tonal correction.

To give you food for thought, I'm currently listening to a freshly revamped Quad 34/306 pre/power amplifier bought for £300.
    On it you will find a 'tilt' control which is designed to subtly warm or cool the sound as required. If you want tonal correction, that (and also DSP) is the way to achieve it with far better results, and hugely more predictable results, than swapping notionally 'flat' boxes of electronics.

Something that is largely forgotten today but was well understood many years ago is that the ear is less sensitive to low frequencies at low listening levels.
    There is only one way to correct for this - boost LF at low listening levels. Now, the problem with designing a system that always sounds warm when playing quietly (through component choice) is that it sounds overblown and muddy as you turn up the volume, because the ear's LF sensitivity then increases - and you cannot 'turn off' the effect because it is part of the design.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2009
    RobHolt, Apr 10, 2009
  9. jazzpioneer

The Devil IHTFP

I have no idea what you mean by "warm smooth", but I do know that if you tiptoe around very quietly whenever your son is asleep, then you will be creating a rod for your own backs. I would recommend that you play music at normal levels.

The Devil, Apr 10, 2009
  10. jazzpioneer

jazzpioneer

Hi Devil - yep couldn't agree more - I'll pass your comment on to my missus - I'm sure this will persuede her:D

jazzpioneer, Apr 10, 2009
  11. jazzpioneer

DavidF

?

Its surely right to show consideration if you have young children.

Its off topic, I know but unusually I can't really agree with you statement TD.

Anyone else?

DavidF, Apr 10, 2009
  12. jazzpioneer

jazzpioneer

Folks...

I really value everyone's contributions to my amp problem, given me plently to research, and a good direction.

As for my little boy sleeping.... Of course I'd never want to wake him with my music, any more than I'd want to wake someone else who was sleeping. But at the same time its impractical to tiptoe around the house if he's sleeping - so there is a balance to be found.

The little guy is sound asleep upstairs, and pops is listening to Hendrix's Blues below, at about talking level voume. Everyone is happy!

So if folks dont mind, could we have more amp suggestions as this is whats vexing me at the minute. Thanks again for the suggestions thus far.

jazzpioneer, Apr 10, 2009
  13. jazzpioneer

The Devil IHTFP

DAVIDF
    It's clear you don't have any children. I'm not suggesting you have a loud party when the children are in bed, but if you creep about being unnaturally quiet, then all you achieve is children who can sleep only if it's very quiet.

OP
    RobHolt gave you the information you need.

The Devil, Apr 10, 2009
  14. jazzpioneer

andyoz

Keeping off topic, but kids ability to sleep tends to be inversely proportional to noise??

Learnt that lesson with the first born. We've had the builders in the last few months, cutting, bashing, thumping away from 8.00am each day and the babies/toddlers have never slept so well.

andyoz, Apr 11, 2009
  15. jazzpioneer

DavidF

lol

Your posts always start (or end) with unpleasant comment!

Like I say being considerate with a hobby that is inevitably a little noisy is not the equalent of "creeping around" or being "unnaturally quiet".

You are right to the extent that I have no children.

DavidF, Apr 11, 2009
  16. jazzpioneer

DavidF

Very politely put....

Indeed so.

Apologies.

DavidF, Apr 11, 2009
  17. jazzpioneer

The Devil IHTFP

My posts never contain any unpleasant comments. Off on hols, so bye for now.

The Devil, Apr 11, 2009
  18. jazzpioneer

tuga

I agree with Piglet.

I have two boys, a 4 year old and a 10 month old, and I listen to symphonic music...loud (I have a pair of horns :D). And, so far, they never woke up because of my music.

About your amplifier. I would recommend something totally different: roll off the HF output of your speakers from 10KHz onwards and you'll be in heaven. ;)

God should punish the creator of the flat anechoic 20-20K.:SWMBO:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2009
    tuga, Apr 11, 2009
  19. jazzpioneer

TheMooN

JazzP ,

Hmmmm , Given your musical predilections and requirement and were you to be considering valves ? Then I would recommend an amp running KT66 or poss even 6L6G's .

If vintage amps take your fancy then a Good pair of Quad II's might fit the bill ( although there are better KT66 amps eg Pye HF25 or RCA Orthophonic however they are rather thin on the ground and more expensive compared to the Quads which appear for sale pretty regularly within your budget )

TheMooN, Apr 11, 2009
  20. jazzpioneer

jazzpioneer

Thanks TheMOON. In fact valves to appeal, I'll keep a look out for a pair of quads...

THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR THIER RECOMMENDATIONS & COMMENTS.

Jazz.

jazzpioneer, Apr 12, 2009
Ask a Question