Weiss Dac2 vs modified Lavry DA10

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by MarkM, Feb 13, 2010.

1. MarkM

MarkM

My new Dell desktop arrived this week and after spending years of avoiding playing any music through my computer I decided to rip some of my CD collection into iTunes. CDs were ripped into AIFF format. I connected the onboard Spdif O/P from the PC into my Lavry DA10 and had a listen. To my surprise it sounded good enough, to my ears, to warrent some further investigation. I swapped between CD and PC and was hard pushed to hear much of a difference, leaning towards CD being slightly better? but questioning each change to the extent that I wasnt really sure either way.

This led me to rip more CDs into i Tunes and the accessability this gave me to my music collection made the decision for me. CD player, squeezebox and preamp would be sold and my music source would be solely left to my PC.

My current setup is PC > Lavry > Croft Twinstar > Fostex BLH speakers REL Sub and Tannoy ST50 supertweeters. The sale of my redundant kit should net £800-£1000.

So the question is should I get the Lavry modified through a company like Sercal or sell the Lavry and buy a Weiss DAC2?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2010
    MarkM, Feb 13, 2010
  2. MarkM

RobHolt Moderator

I would just keep the Lavry.
    Why are you thinking of letting someone bodge what is a very good dac?

RobHolt, Feb 13, 2010
  3. MarkM

MarkM

Hi Rob, Bodge?! I take it you are not a fan of modifying? I have never had any hifi modified before and am looking for some educated opinion on the best way forward.

Keith at Purite Audio has kindly offered to lend me a Weiss to back to back against my Lavry. It will be interesting to compare this option for myself. Good to know there are people out there who are prepared to provide the kit to allow people to make up there own minds.

MarkM, Feb 13, 2010
  4. MarkM

RobHolt Moderator

I'm all for modifying where there is a problem to sort, but so much of it just exists for the sake if it. I don't think the Lavry has any issues that need fixing.

Pleased that Keith is letting you try a Weiss - top service.

RobHolt, Feb 13, 2010
  5. MarkM

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

i'd drop itunes and find a decent app that allows you to bypass the evil that is windows kmixer.

sq225917, Feb 17, 2010
Ask a Question