What does the audio track look like for 7.1 and 9.1 surround when looking at video properties?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by zines, Jan 28, 2016.

1. zines

zines

I have a question on what the audio track would look like for 7.1 and 9.1 surround when looking at the properties of a video.

Here is what I mean. 5.1 audio when looking at the properties would show this: 3F2R/LFE. Which means 3 Front (right, center, left), 2 Rear (right, left), and Low Frequency Emissions (subwoofer).

So what would the properties scheme be for the audio tracks for 7.1 and 9.1? I supposedly have some video files that are 7.1 for the audio, but when I look at the properties it is only showing 3F2R/LFE, which I know means 5.1. I am using Video Lan Player (VLC) to view the properties of the files, maybe 5.1 is all that VLC can do and that it downgrades the audio to 5.1 should it be higher than that. I don’t know, but maybe. I don’t think the files are truly 7.1 so I was curious what it should look like when viewing the properties.

Also, does anyone know if VLC can handle audio higher than 5.1 or is that its limit? If 5.1 is the limit for VLC, is there another free player that can handle the higher audio?

Curious if someone has an answer to these questions.

zines, Jan 28, 2016
Ask a Question