What is the best phono stage you have heard?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by hifi addict, Feb 2, 2008.

1. hifi addict

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Coops,

How much is that New amp?

SCIDB

SCIDB, Feb 9, 2008
  2. hifi addict

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

does this mean the rectifaction is solid state instead of valve, or it doesnt have any at all?

bottleneck, Feb 9, 2008
  3. hifi addict

Purite Audio Purite Audio

Bottle Hi I realy don't know, I do know that Mr park feels that the the actual way the valve is driven is very important, I will ask him in Munich. Scibd the new integrated will be approx £2500, Keith.

Purite Audio, Feb 9, 2008
  4. hifi addict

Stereo Mic

Why has this thread turned into an advertorial for products you don't appear to understand Keith?

Don't you think this is becoming a little negative now?

Stereo Mic, Feb 9, 2008
  5. hifi addict

hifi addict

I have an Anatek phonostage which is one of the best SS phonostages i have heard. But for price and adjustability the Firestone battery power phono stage is excellent.

Also the phonostage in the SP Audio 1.5 (anyone heard of that?) is also fantastic. Up to about 5 years ago that was my choice for the best I have heard. Before that it was the Croft vitale.

I have had a good listen to the BAT, Bolder, CAT, Audio Research, Mf blah blah blah yawn!!

They have all been pretty good in there own respects but none did it for me in such a way I wanted to own and enjoy. For me it has to be the one I mentioned earlier in the thread. I cant wait to hear the bigger one.

hifi addict, Feb 9, 2008
  6. hifi addict

Stereo Mic

Lucky for you you'll be selling it Paul ;-)

Stereo Mic, Feb 9, 2008
  7. hifi addict

anon_bb Honey Badger

Mike - you are a jaded cynic. Next you will be claiming that the Raven is all hype!

anon_bb, Feb 9, 2008
  8. hifi addict

shrink

my friend has an eastern electronics valve phono stage that i believe set him back about £1000... its probably the best phono preamp ive ever heard. Works wonders with his SME 20/2A and transfiguration cart.

shrink, Feb 9, 2008
  9. hifi addict

hifi addict

That is a privilege bestowed upon me. Not because I'm tied in with any distributor, but for the reason it is the best I have heard to date for me, and like any peddler I mean preacher of the good news, I want to share it with others. ;-)

hifi addict, Feb 10, 2008
  10. hifi addict

Stereo Mic

:D

Jaded alright. Still, it's nice to see one or two of the forums are taking a stand and banning some of the bucksmiths. Wouldn't it be nice to see recommendations for enthusiasts from enthusiasts?

Stereo Mic, Feb 10, 2008
  11. hifi addict

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

I use a Audio Innovations P2 phono stage which I like a lot. Good musical flow and sense of detail and resolution. I have used other stages due to running to turntables.

I had Whest P20 which I thought was very good. It didn't make me want to get rid of the P2. The Whest has very good resolution and detail. Worth a listen.

I also had a EAR 834P which is one that is highly recommended. It didn't beat the P2. It wasn't as tight in the bass or as good in the treble. Also less detailed overall but very enjoyable to listen to.

I have a Camebridge audio 640P phono stage. This is good for the money but it didn't beat the Whest or the P2. I didn't expect it to. I wish I still had the Rotel RQ970BX phonostage which I sold last year. I don't think it was better than that one.

For £60, it's very good.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Feb 10, 2008
  12. hifi addict

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

i thought the Anatek sounded sublime in the MAX room in Manchester playing through the prologue stuff off a baby Kuzma and the SF elipses, way way better than it should have been.

I even went back at end of show to have a lsiten to Pink Floyd once again. I'd buy one at the drop of a hat.

sq225917, Feb 10, 2008
  13. hifi addict

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

I too heard the Anatek at the Manchester show. The system was very good to listen to. Very enjoyable. One to check out.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Feb 11, 2008
  14. hifi addict

Martin ( Anatek ) left his new prototype phono here, it is very good, perhaps a bit more punchy low down than the Allnic, not quite the resolution/tone of the valve amp, very good though.

Purite Audio, Feb 11, 2008
  15. hifi addict

Stereo Mic

It's a lot cheaper than the very expensive (in the UK) Allnic though isn't it?

And I think we might reasonably expect you to speak positively about the product you distribute and sell - it would be interesting to hear what someone without a vested interest thinks.

Stereo Mic, Feb 11, 2008
  16. hifi addict

Chris

Bearing in mind my imminent purchase of either - Would anyone here hazard an opinion regarding where would the Puresound P10 and possibly the Deltec DSP 50S standalone disc unit with separate P/S stand in this heirarchy of phono stages to complement my Sugden A21SE ?
    C'mon, I need a push-distance means buying blind/deaf.

Chris, Feb 11, 2008
  17. hifi addict

Arrowhead

Hi, I've listened to the new Anatek phono amp. Very good indeed, IMHO. Just a bread board at the moment, still work in progress. Don't quote me, but it could emerge in the near future, as a two box unit, with a retail price around double that of the MC1.

BTW, I've no connection with, nor do I sell, Anatek. It's just Martyn and I, went to different schools together. :D

Graham.

Arrowhead, Feb 11, 2008
  18. hifi addict

Where can one buy Allnic cheaper Mike? I adhere strictly to the prices recomended by the International distributor , both Ralph and I would be interested to hear of a distributor selling significantly lower.

Purite Audio, Feb 11, 2008
  19. hifi addict

Stereo Mic

There's been a couple of them sold on AG in the past few months where the US RRP was listed as $2,500. They both sold for $1100 = around £600. I'm sure you can see the disparity.

Stereo Mic, Feb 11, 2008
  20. hifi addict

hifi addict

Just remembered from another forum the Audio Note OTO has a great phonostge. in some ways i preferred it to the M8.

hifi addict, Feb 11, 2008
Ask a Question