Whats this about?!?!?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by bottleneck, Mar 4, 2004.

1. bottleneck

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hi Michael.

Ive been off Zerogain for about a day and a half, maybe 2.

There are loads of threads I havent read beginning to end, but they are all showing as read!?!

Ive noticed this a few times in the past and wondered if it is a bug, or something at my end?

Cheers matey

Chris

bottleneck, Mar 4, 2004
  2. bottleneck

michaelab desafinado

One thing that happens is if you stay logged in for a while (say, on the forum homepage) it will, after a certain timeout, decide that you've read everything which can be quite annoying but there's a reason for it:

It doesn't keep track of where you are in each and every thread (that would be completely unmanagable) so instead it has a timestamp marker for when you were last online which I think gets updated roughly every 15 minutes (if you stay online). So, if you hit the homepage and then go away for 15 mins your "online" timestamp gets updated and suddenly the "unread" threads are only the ones that have changed since that new marker point.

The opposite effect also happens, ie: if you come on and do "View new posts" then read them all if you go back to "View new posts" it will keep giving you back the same list until the 15 minute timeout is up. In that case you can of course hit "Mark all threads read" to force your timestamp to update.

Bottom line, don't sit on the homepage or "who's online" for ages if you want to keep track of what you have and haven't read :)

Michael.

michaelab, Mar 4, 2004
Ask a Question