Where can I get my A400 amp repaired?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by cjm, Dec 13, 2004.

1. cjm

cjm

I've got a Pioneer A400 modified by Tom Evans. It's in need of a service and some repair. One set of phono connections are iffy and loose. Recently, I've used it with an ART Dio and, if I understand properly, the gain is so high that the amp sounds loud even when turned down low. This highlighted that one speaker cuts out, till the volume is increased. Now, it seems that the speaker that cut out till the volume was turned up, doesn't come on - I've double checked that the speaker works fine with another amp. I've previously had problems with a humming sound from the A400 when hooked up to another cd player I've got.

So, I'd really like someone who knows what they're doing to give this amp a good service and put it right. It's just that I'm worried that if it's done by someone without the necessary skill, I might lose some of the magic from this amp. Hooked up to the ART Dio with some Quad 11L's it's been sounding beautiful and I want to recapture that sound asap.

Can anyone recommend where to get the A400 reliably sorted - hopefully someone they've used themselves - and what it might cost. I live in South East London/Kent border. I'll have a word with a Pioneer recommended service centre to see what they say as well.

Thanks

Chris

cjm, Dec 13, 2004
Ask a Question