where do I find g wand's lübeck bruckner's 8th?

Discussion in 'Classical Music' started by Rodrigo de Sá, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Rodrigo de Sá

Rodrigo de Sá This club's crushing bore

The title says it all, really. Anyone knows how I can get hold of this record? Wand recorded the 8th many times, but I am after this particular version for ages. It is the one done in the Lübeck Cathedral.

Rodrigo de Sá, Nov 17, 2007
  2. Rodrigo de Sá

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

alanbeeb, Nov 18, 2007
  3. Rodrigo de Sá

Dear Alan

Thanks, I had already spotted this one, but they won't deliver it in Europe!!!

You have no idea of how maddening this is: I had it in my hands (and in my cd drawer) when it came out but for idiotic reasons I was convinced to give it to someone who does not like this kind of music!!!

Rodrigo de Sá, Nov 18, 2007
  4. Rodrigo de Sá

JANDL100

Where do you find it?

... On my CD shelves! :)

It is stunning. A cavernous acoustic - and Wand times the music to perfection, often allowing the sound to decay just-so before starting the next chord. :)

Well worth looking out for.

JANDL100, Nov 18, 2007
  5. Rodrigo de Sá

Markus S Trade

6. Rodrigo de Sá

Dear Marcus, thank you.

I sent for more than one version - I hope I'll get all the Wand 8th versions... If I don't manage to have the one I am looking for ... perhaps I'll metaphorically try to borrow them from jandl?

7. Rodrigo de Sá

Markus S Trade

The one I linked is definitely the Lübeck version.

Markus S, Nov 18, 2007
  8. Rodrigo de Sá

In fact it is even more maddening in the light of the discussion of whether Bach spoils you or not: a girlfriend of mine bought it to a friend who liked pop music. My girlfriend wanted to give this fellow a classical record. He mentioned a few composers, amongst which Bruckner.

She bought the record, brought it home for me to listen and tell her if it was a good version. I loved it, and wanted to keep it. But she told me I wouldn't listen to it anyway because all I cared for was Bach and Buxtehude.

Then she gave the record to the fellow, who was very surprised to recieve this kind of gift: 'But why this?' 'You told me you liked Bruckner'. 'Did I really?'.

Maddening, as you can see. :inferno:

9. Rodrigo de Sá

Good, I'll have at last!! Thank you.

10. Rodrigo de Sá

I'm totally engrossed in Bruckner's 8th! This has happened before, but right now it is being soul haunting!

In fact I began to listen to it because of Tones' post about Bach spoiling us for other musicians...

P.S.: the only thing slightly comparable seems to be Buxtehude's Te Deum.

Rodrigo de Sá, Nov 21, 2007
  11. Rodrigo de Sá

adamdea

Forgive me for expressing my ignorance, but is the Lubeck Wand Bruckner 8 the one he did with the NDR rather than Berlin Phil or Cologne?
    Is this the choice for Wand connaisseurs?
    I was going to try him out for the 8th but couldn't work out which version to get and ended up getting the Karajan VPO instead.
    Incidentally did anyone else on this site see the Haitink Concertgebouw perfomance in the proms this year? I thought it incredibly moving and profound.
    I find Haitink's approach of putting the architeciture first and letting the rest fall into place works every time live, even though it sometimes makes for dull CDs.

Is there anyone else you would recommend to see perform this repertory?

adamdea, Nov 21, 2007
  12. Rodrigo de Sá

I think Wand recorded the 8th about 5 times in his last 20 odd years
    Cologne - early 1980s?
    NDR - mid 1980s?
    NDR Lubeck 1989
    NDR - 1992
    Berlin Phil 1999?

The Lubeck is the one to have.

Otherwise Boulez and VPO is surprisingly good, he's not the first conductor you would think of for Bruckner. I wish he'd do the 5th.

alanbeeb, Nov 21, 2007
  13. Rodrigo de Sá

I've seen 3 performances of the 8th live, all at the Edinburgh festival.

Franz Wesler-Most & LPO 1992 - rubbish
    Herbert Blomstedt & Philharmonia 2006 - very good.
    Gunther Wand & NDR SO 2001 - absolutely awesome.

alanbeeb, Nov 21, 2007
  14. Rodrigo de Sá

Wand's late Bruckner (I mean, when Wand was very old) is extremely impressive: almost ghoulish.

I have not have recieved the Lübeck version, but the next one (Hambourg Musikhalle) is perhaps easier to grasp.

Rodrigo de Sá, Nov 23, 2007
  15. Rodrigo de Sá

I received three versions by Bohm. Rather good. I'll comment later, after I listen to the Wand's.

Opinions on Tintner's views (the original, pre-Levi criticisms version of the 8th)?

Rodrigo de Sá, Nov 29, 2007
  16. Rodrigo de Sá

JANDL100

I have about 35 recordings of the 8th on CD.

I think if I had to choose only one (what a horrible thought!) it would be Anton Nanut conducting the Ljubljana SO. You have to listen past the 2nd rate orchestra and the early edition of the score and the somewhat thin (but well-defined) sonics - once this is done, the interpretation comes close to perfection, for me.

JANDL100, Nov 29, 2007
  17. Rodrigo de Sá

Polarity

Found the forum tonight

and have already ordered about 15 cd's! I have been liking classical music since being a teenager (among my favorite composers are Bach, Beethoven, Bruckner, Bartok, Brahms, Mahler etc), but am musically uneducated. So, I am very interested in the discussions here. By the way, among the discs ordered is also Wand's Lübecker version of Bruckners 8th. I already have Boulez's version, Wand's 99 version, and the Celibidache's version. I like the Wand version I have, so I am curious for the Lübeck version. However, Rodrigo, I offer to send you the Lübeck version (I understand you did not get it from amazon.de?), as you have originally spotted it. Please let me know whether you are interested.
    Bruno

Polarity, Jan 6, 2008
  18. Rodrigo de Sá

Dear Bruno:

Many thanks, I have acquired it from Amazon.us. I will be absent for a couple of days, but after that I'll comment on what I think about it. Again, thanks for your kind offer.

Rodrigo de Sá, Jan 6, 2008
  19. Rodrigo de Sá

Polarity

got it today

I like the Lübeck version. The music breathes like I have not heard before. There is a sense of urgency that enhances the existentialism of the music. However, sometimes it becomes too restless for me. In contrast, the music grows naturally in Celibidaches version. Boulez emphasizes the structure of the composition. Still, he does not loose sight of emotion and detiails.
    Personally, I prefer Boulez.
    This as a spontaneous impression after today's listening.
    Bruno

Polarity, Jan 11, 2008
  20. Rodrigo de Sá

markinuk

My first post, everyone.

I've always been a Wand fan, ever since I began going to his Proms performances with the BBC SO back in the '80s. I used to think each time would be my last chance, but there I was at his last Prom, a few months before he died (Schubert 8/ Bruckner 9)!

He was always special in 8, and the greatest performance I have ever experienced live was his Prom with the BBC SO in 1992. None of the recordings I have heard develop the same power and tension, though they are also not as rough round the edges.

I actually have several of his recordings of this work, starting with the Cologne performance on Deutsche Harmonia Mundi. This is an LP set, dated 1979 (I'm really a vinyl person :cool:). On CD, I have the live Lübeck performance on RCA (August 1987), and the Berliner Philharmoniker live recording, also on RCA, from 2001. I prefer the Lübeck out of these two. I also like Haitink's 1981 Concertgebouw recording and the old Karajan World Record Club set, since reissued on a budget CD (which I also have).

Mark

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2008
    markinuk, Jun 25, 2008
Ask a Question