Where do I get this cable from?

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by Donut, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Donut

Donut

In one of the Hi-Fi rags this month there was a set of 3 reviews (Hi-Fi World I think) of systems that 3 different reviewers put together. In one of the the writer mentions using some 25mm 4 core screened mains cable for 3 faze. He mentioned the company but I have not had any luck contacting them through e-mail and I can't remember what they were called. The reviewer uses this stuff as his "reference" speaker cable so it would be quite nice to try some out!.
    Anyone else read this review - and any ideas where I might get some of this cable from?
    Donut

Donut, Jun 15, 2004
  2. Donut

Donut

I've just remembered each cable is ptfe coated and all 4 then have a single screen.
    Donut

Donut, Jun 15, 2004
  3. Donut

Sid and Coke

The contact details of all ( most) of the reviewers are printed at the beginning of the mag, why not drop them a line. Also Hi-Fi World have a decent discussion forum you may get some answers http://www.worldaudiodesign.com/forum/index.php

Sid and Coke, Jun 15, 2004
  4. Donut

Donut

Thanks Sid and Coke - I'll have a look on the forum - I don't know it existed - yet another Hi-Fi forum to keep an eye on:)
    Donut

Donut, Jun 15, 2004
  5. Donut

Donut

Unfortunately I have not had any luck with this yet. I've e-mailed Hi-Fi World and posted on the forum - with no luck. Anyone go any ideas where I might find a similar cable ?
    Donut

Donut, Jun 22, 2004
  6. Donut

BlueMax

Why not use a pair of this 300Volt, 25 Amp, Belden 83802?
    Two 12-gauge conductors, Teflon insulation with double foil/braid shield.
    [​IMG]

BlueMax, Jun 25, 2004
  7. Donut

Donut

BlueMax, that stuff looks like it would be worth a try - where can I get it from....Maplins?.....any idea on stock codes :)
    Cheers
    Donut

Donut, Jun 25, 2004
  8. Donut

BlueMax

£234.23p + VAT for 105 feet was quoted (May 2004) by Anixter (Tel: 01895 818181) a major Belden Distributor in the UK.

TakeFiveAudio.com (Canada) are advertising at C$4.35 per foot or C$3.99 per foot if you buy 100 feet. Plus shipping, import duty, VAT and admin fee by Royal Mail. (Unless sent as a 'gift' by a friend/relative out there).

Should be a lot cheaper if sourced direct from a Belden Distributor in US/Canada. Group buy anyone?!

This cable is also ideal for making top notch mains cables at fraction of the cost. The DIY cable, TNT TTS use Kimber style weaving similar to the Reference PowerKordâ„¢ by Russ Andrews; priced at £115 for 3 feet. :eek:
    TTS made with Belden 83802 you also get Teflon insulation, double screening and much thicker cores.

See http://www.davewhitter.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/tnt_tts_mains_cable_has_been_aro.htm

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2004
    BlueMax, Jun 25, 2004
Ask a Question