Which £400-£800 Speakers for Cyrus Integrated Amp???

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by bertiedootes, Dec 28, 2007.

1. bertiedootes

bertiedootes

Hi Everyone

Newbie here. Ignorant one at that! But learning.

I am looking to dip my toes into Cyrus and have my eyes on some second hand kit (hopefully 8vs2 and CD6s or 8x) and then move onwards and upwards from there.

The source and amp is not the problem of choice for me,...however I am looking to buy new or second hand speakers on an initial budget. Have heard B&W 685's/Dynaudio 42's and a PMC GB1 with the 6vs and CD6 in local demo and as I am more than likely gonna buy second hand then demonstartions may not be poss.

To be honest I am leaning towards the Dyns as I am thinking of using them as rears with a future AV set up once I get the chance to really upgrade in the future from this start up. My worry is many peoples views on Cyrus seem to be 'bass light' and 'thin'.

The majority of music I listen to is not always electric guitar/heavy deep bass dance - but rather accoustic, vocals, blue grass, Harry Connic Jnr big big band swing. But to be honest, my taste is as wide as The Sex Pistols to Sinatra!

Does anyone have any thoughts on the speakers that can give me detail, depth, sound stage and some bass but not too bright. Those Dyns sure sounded extremly detailed to me at the time and the price is about right for the moment for buying new.

bertiedootes, Dec 28, 2007
  2. bertiedootes

Neil

If you like the Dyns I'd recommend looking for some second hand contours 1.1 s 2s or 3s (3s probably out of budget) They are a huge step up from the 42s - the same "house sound" but much more of everything.

Neil, Dec 29, 2007
  3. bertiedootes

Tenson Moderator

First, I would say you should seriously consider getting a Cyrus 3 and PSX-R instead of the 8vs2. I can't say I am overly fond of Cysrus amps past the 3 because they sound kind of sterile and thin. As I later found out, the designer of the amps changed after the 3, so the 3i and onwards was designed by someone else.

In my opinion, and I know a few others, the Cyrus 2 and 3 are the best amps they made. I like the 3 because it has the same cool style as the newer kit and it can be taken to an even higher level with the PSX-R. It is not sterile and simply has a fun and bouncy character.

I used to use mine with a pair of Monitor Audio GR10 and it sounded fab, but I suspect you could go for something a bit higher up the food chain with your budget. I love PMC, but only their professional series. Their domestic range (like the GB1) deviate significantly from neutral and its quite audible. I would have suggested the AB2 (or AB1) but I see they don't make it anymore. Shame! Maybe you can find some second hand?

Otherwise... not sure, you have loads of choice! The Dyns are good. The Adam Audio HM2 looks good too. But I'm not sure where to buy a pair from you would have to email them and ask! http://www.adam-audio.com/hifi/english/index.htm

Tenson, Dec 29, 2007
  4. bertiedootes

rollo

Can you say Vandersteen 2CE sing. The most sold speaker of all times. A great value that sounds just as good.

rollo

rollo, Dec 29, 2007
  5. bertiedootes

bertiedootes

Hi Neil

Thanks for the reply and recomendations. I will google the contours and take a butchers. As I said in my post, I really did enjoy the detail of the little Dyns (listened to a Ben Folds track and they even displayed some of dodgy after dubbed additional instruments over his vocal and piano - not that I was impressed with the recording tho!).

The only thing about the Dyns is no ability to bi-amp in the future if the upgrade bug hits and I look to pre and power amp. But as I said, Newbie and ignorant - maybe the Dyns are good enough

bertiedootes, Dec 29, 2007
  6. bertiedootes

bertiedootes

Tenson,...again many thanks for the reply and your thoughts. As I am in the market for all second hand/ex-demo kit I will also look at the Cyrus 3 and try and track down the PMC's you mentioned. Must admit I do like the Cyrus style and I am aware of a few people's opinions on Cyrus being thin. From what I have read though it looks to me that to get the Cyrus kit singing and some bass, matching the right speakers is very important.

The Adam Audio's look interesting and I like the idea of kit outside of the usual What Hi-Fi crowd. The only thing is the silver finish as I was hoping for a Beech/Birch light wooden finish to match the furniture. Have you heard these HM2's?

7. bertiedootes

bertiedootes

Has anyone heard the Neat Acoustics Motive 2's? They seem a little way off the from normal rogues gallery of usual What Hi-Fi fare of speakers and I like the look of these small lean backed floorstanders. What they sound like with Cyrus kit I am unsure of.

8. bertiedootes

Neil

Haven't heard the Neats - but with ref to bi-amping bi-wiring etc: When I had contours and AVI kit I monobloc'd (ie one power amp per speaker). I felt that monoblocs sounded a much better upgrade from a single poweramp than bi-amping - which I'd tried on previous kit. I've never been a fan of bi-wiring, just replace the metal links with small jumpers of the cable you're using has always been my way (obviously not needed with the dyns!)

Neil, Dec 29, 2007
  9. bertiedootes

hifi addict

Amphion Ion L loudspeakers. great loudspeaker manufacturer from finland.

[​IMG]

£700.00

hifi addict, Dec 29, 2007
  10. bertiedootes

RobHolt Moderator

I'll second Simon's suggestion of the Cyrus 3/PSXR.
    If 50wpc (8R) and the facilities on offer are sufficient then there is little point spending any more. The PSXR brings a modest gain in performance in most situations, more if you expect to run current hungry speakers at high volume.

From the 3i onwards there was a lot of Denis Morecroft influence (of DNM) which is great if you like his take on things but personally I'd steer well clear.

I'd only recommend the older Cyrus 2 over the 3 if you run a turntable as it's MM/MC phono stage is superb - on the Cyrus 3 it was an afterthought.

RobHolt, Dec 29, 2007
  11. bertiedootes

bertiedootes

Cheer Neil. Like I said, Newbie and a little ignorant! Monoblocs...heard about it, read about it. Understand it now, thanks.

As for the Contour 1.3....would my initial set up, without any power amps, be man enough? Done myself some looking, found a pair for sale, but from what I've read this morning it sounds like they need some driving as well as space away from walls. My listening area is about 12ft square.

12. bertiedootes

bertiedootes

Those speakers certainly don't look like the norm to me. Unsure about the finish going with the rest my room but they do look different. I like different. However, I do like the floorstanders as they have a light wooden finish. Thanks for the heads-up on these, hifi addict.

13. bertiedootes

bertiedootes

Cheers Rob. I do want my system to reproduce the source as it is, and not embelish or smooth it out. If the recording I am listening to is poor, and my system displays that sound, then it's poor and I will accept that. In my way of thinking I want a system that's going to give me as close to the original recording as it can (what with my very initial limited funds of course!).

Not had much luck finding any Cyrus 3 amps on-line for sale. Any pointers? I appreciate the point about the PSXR - especially if I do go for a pair of Dynaudio 1.3's as they seem to need some pushing.

14. bertiedootes

scott_01

Hi Rob

I thought the PSXR just powered the 'pre' sections of the Cyrus Integrated amps. If so then is it of any help driving current hungry speakers? Alternatively I could be wrong and if so what does it actually do? I'm just curious, not being a dick.

FWIW I had a PSXR with an old ACA 7.5 pre and it was a 'night and day' difference. I really wondered why they bothered selling it without the PSXR in the first place.

scott_01, Dec 29, 2007
  15. bertiedootes

Tenson Moderator

Hi Bert,

If you have a 12ft square room (which is pretty small and will have strong modes) and are willing to go for a smallish speaker like the Ion pictured above then I may have just the thing for you. I'll send you a 'PM' (personal message) in the next couple of days. It has solid Beech side panels, its very small, and it is very probably the lowest distortion speaker of its size.

As for the Cyrus 3, keep an eye on eBay. They do come up, and quite often. I saw about 4 on there only a month ago. Just be a little patient. You should get one for about £150-£200.

Tenson, Dec 29, 2007
  16. bertiedootes

joel Shaman of Signals

If it is a small room, a pair of secondhand Yamaha NS-1000 might be worth thinking about. I assume the Cyrus does not have much grunt, and the Yamahas are a fairly "difficult" load.
    Up against the wall, the Yamahas should work very well. They're certainly capable of great things.

joel, Dec 29, 2007
  17. bertiedootes

Jimbo

Listen to some Aurousal a1's. Will trounce anything in that price range.

Jimbo, Dec 29, 2007
  18. bertiedootes

bertiedootes

Hi Tenson

The lounge is longer but the seating arrangement means the 'music area' is pretty much 12x12. As for the pm....sounds interesting.

19. bertiedootes

bertiedootes

By the way, been a bit obsessed lately thinking about all the options and kit...and starting to get worried (as well as a headache!). So hopefully off the blocks from tomorrow and going to look at a Cyrus 3 for sale. Hopefully it will give my mind a little rest once I have an amp and am fully on the slippery path...:)

20. bertiedootes

bertiedootes

Joel and Jimbo.....thanks for your speaker recomendations. I'll take a look. Jimbo, the Aurousal's seem to have a lack of bass from some reviewers. Trouble with me is my completely varied taste in music. I've gone from listening to the Foo Fighters then onto bluegrass band Nickelcreek this morning. My demo of the Dyns gave me a great deal of detail when listening to Nickelcreek (oh nearly brought tears to my eyes at the time!)...and I can imagine the Aurousal's could give me such detail and vocal clarity (from some of the reviews I've read)....but then again when the mood takes me I do like some loud and deep rock and dance.

I suppose one thing maybe is to get my amp and source second hand and then listen to new or ex-demo speakers in the shops. That way I can listen before I buy. I don't seem happy somehow to simply abuse Hi-Fi shops and their demo rooms, if I never have the intention at all to buy from them.

Ask a Question