Which receiver? Onkyo or Marantz?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by bob lane, Mar 6, 2017.

1. bob lane

bob lane

Hello my name is Bob I am new to this form been an audio file for several years now and I'll go into equipment I have later suffice to say I just installed an Onkyo TX sr705 which is THX ultra2 certified however I also just came across a great deal on a Marantz Sr 8005 in Immaculate condition I am very satisfied with the Onkyo but have always wanted to try Marantz is anybody have any input as to which would sound better or is there that much difference I have Bower & Wilkins 683s speakers front, center htmi 61, rear 602s and AR S50 for side surrounds.Any input?

bob lane, Mar 6, 2017
  2. bob lane

Dissily Mordentroge

I'm not familiar with the Marantz SR 8005 but in general I've found Marantz's receivers more impressive in the bass and Onkyo's clearer in the mids and treble although some of their latest models from my limited acquaintance will give Marantz and a number of other brands further up the price range a run for their money.
    In the end though you really need to try the Marantz on your equipment in your room otherwise it's a poke in the dark.
    You haven't told us why you're even thinking about getting rid of teh Onkyo though.

Dissily Mordentroge, Mar 20, 2017
  3. bob lane

Evilchicken0

Most of the amp manufacturers have a "sound" so it will depend on what your taste is. I personally prefer more of a HiFi sound, favouring detail and controlled bass this gives more articulation for conversation or lyrics, I like Yamaha and Denon. I did have an Onkyo but didn't like the bass being favoured over detail.

The only way to know for sure is to listen, but if you've just bought something then maybe you need to give it some time to get used to the change from the old amp.

Evilchicken0, Apr 3, 2017
  4. bob lane

Colz

Bob
    I have no experience of the Onkyo, but have had a number of Marantz stereo and AV amps. A few years ago I switched from the old Yamaha DSP A1, to Marantz pre-amp & power amp AV set up and last year swapped to the latest AV8802 pre-amp, the main reasons for this was that, while I thought the Yamaha was a great AV performer it lacked in several areas as regards pure stereo, the Marantz puts in a better than average effort at both AV and stereo music. Marantz have for some time let their stereo/Hi-fi engineers have input into the development of their AV products, so their amps are tuned to be more musical, good enough to put a decent turntable through. I also have friends and family with Marantz AV and it's the balance between the two uses that they like most.

Colz, Apr 3, 2017
  5. bob lane

danielwritesback

Highlighting the voiceband is vital for TV audio; however, it is also a limiting factor if you cranked up your music. That creates a difference, necessarily. To put it bluntly, and we better, sometimes one needs the words shouted to hear them over the movie/tv effects and sometimes we'd like to jam out with music and not ever be shouted at. Those parameters are opposites.

Early on, I thought that the bi-amp, tri-amp, quad-amp people were just going to too much labor. However, I've changed my mind on that and determined that they're smoking something better than I ever have. They've also, apparently, come up with how to make one system work for both TV and Music.

You might not need to go through that much labor. I've dreamed up a convenient alternative: Put the Music system in the Kitchen! This plan works so long as there's not a TV in the same room.

danielwritesback, Apr 26, 2017
Ask a Question