Why is this news-worthy?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Dev, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Dev

Dev Moderator

Dev, Jul 29, 2009
  2. Dev

Soloist In my lonely furrow

I don't know. It does demonstrate that how ever technologically advanced socitey becomes, the human element is still the greatest sinlge factor that holds us back!

Soloist, Jul 29, 2009
  3. Dev

spica

being that the article is directed at SatNav (GPS) and not mental capacity of the couple concerned , they asked for Carpi...they got Carpi !

also Carpi would have given them only a 10k detour from the route the satnav would have given them for Capri.

More mind numbing Crap'i' from the most sad BBc. :)

spica, Jul 29, 2009
  4. Dev

Dev Moderator

Exactly!, how can the satnav be criticised for giving them what they asked for?

Dev, Jul 29, 2009
  5. Dev

DavidF

I'm travelling some distance at the moment for an evening class.

I wouldn't want to do the run without a satnav.

When I got there last week I was told it wasn't running that night, due to illness.

DavidF, Jul 31, 2009
  6. Dev

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

I love satnavs.

For the past two weekends I've made the mistake of trying to drive around the country. On both fridays (17th and 24th) most of the country's motorway system ground to a halt, with the M6 closed, the M25 at a standstill, etc.

The prevalence of satnavs has made the majority of the populace, particularly when driving out of their local area, totally brain-dead when it comes to maps, alternative routes, etc when things go wrong. This means that when things do go wrong, alternate routes are left empty because most people sit there thinking "Well this is what the sat nav says".

Thus, while the M6 was at a standstill I drove merrily up and down the A449, and avoided the busy and roadworked M1 with a quick jaunt along the A38.

So, I love sat navs. They keep clueless people out of my way. I just don't see any particular need to own one for myself.

I-S, Jul 31, 2009
  7. Dev

DavidF

"I just don't see any particular need to own one for myself."

You might for negotiating Stoke/Newcastle city centres!

Seriously, some people are better at this than others.

My dad can pretty much memorise a picture of a map in his head. I'm not so fortunate.

DavidF, Jul 31, 2009
  8. Dev

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

I've negotiated various bits of Stoke/Newcastle (assuming you mean under-lyme, rather than upon-tyne) without. I'm by no means saying that I don't get lost nor ever make a wrong turn - simply that I'm happy with pulling over and using a map if necessary, as they don't tend to crash, run out of batteries, etc...

The other thing is (and I'm sure this doesn't apply to you) when people do get lost or try an alternative route or something, trying to reprogram the sat-nav while on the move. A few weeks ago the M62 was down to one lane, and so there were some people who otherwise wouldn't have been on the A62. The woman in the audi in front of me was all over the road, paying far too much attention to trying to make her sat nav do something, rather than driving.

It is, as already stated, the human element.

I-S, Jul 31, 2009
Ask a Question