Will audio input be adversely affected if split?

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by Maximzodal, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Maximzodal

Maximzodal

I use an Onkyo TX-LR552 AV receiver for audio from satellite TV, Apple TV and DVD. I don't bother with video through the receiver. The only audio output is speaker wire clamps.

Because of hearing loss, I need to use a wireless headset to keep peace in the family. Input to the wireless transmitter requires mini stereo or RCA type plugs from the receiver, which it doesn't have. I wired in a high/low impedance adapter from the speaker clamps to the wireless transmitter, but the sound quality is inferior. The headphones amplify the harmonics of frequencies most likely to be attenuated in hearing loss.

The wireless headphone company suggested I plug the transmitter into the receiver's headphone jack. But the speakers are muted when the plug is inserted, so that is not an option. I suspect the headphone jack physically interrupts the audio signal to the amplifier circuit. I believe I can disable that feature if I can get to the socket. However, before tearing into the receiver, will the audio be adversely affected if it is fed to both the amplifier and the wireless transmitter?

Any other suggestions or option would be most welcome!

Thanks
    Maxim

Maximzodal, Nov 28, 2010
Ask a Question