Yet Another Speaker Advice Thread...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by bandeiroso, May 10, 2010.

1. bandeiroso

bandeiroso

Hi everyone, this is my first post, but I've been trolling here for months.

Hopefully I can finally start investing some of the ca$h I've been setting aside for months and months - with your help of course, and then start making real contributions to this forum, based on my experiences.

I live in a small apartment in Raleigh, North Carolina and the room where I hope to set up this equipment is about 15 by 11 and 10 ft tall. I'm hoping you guys can lead me in the right direction, because I've reached a point where I just don't know who to believe anymore and unfortunately don't have the luxury of auditioning a vast range of gear....

I have roughly two more years of Uni remaining so I'm definitely not going anywhere anytime soon. I'd be using them about 50% music (all types but especially female vocals ), 50% movies/sports/videogames.

Floorstanding vs. Bookshelf?

I think I'm going to have to get a sub in the future, whether I go with either type of speaker. That's why I'd like a lively speaker that doesn't try to "do-it-all" from top to bottom, I'd prefer the speaker to excel at treble resolution, midrange clarity for vocals etc... Bass definition and speed instead of weight.
    Source is PS3, SAT TV, HTPC w/ FLAC collection for now so a little bit of forgiveness would be nice, I'd still want the detail to be there and I'd definitely want the speakers to reveal the quality of upstream components when upgrade them in the future... Does that make any sense? ...lol

The speakers should ideally be placed near a wall, so I guess maybe ported designs are at an advantage, although I've heard conflicting things about that... I can't blast the music very loud because I live in an apartment so hopefully these speakers will still be enjoyable at low listening levels, especially voices...

I'd also prefer not to have to sit in one "sweet spot" the whole time, off-axis dispersion should be good but that's perhaps a luxury I'm willing to overlook.

Initially, I'll be driving them with something like a Pioneer Receiver with ICE Amps, but hope to upgrade to a dedicated multichannel power amp in the future.

I've already saved up close to $2000 just to spend on the speakers alone, and I know that if I go any higher than that any improvement will be marginal at best given the listening environment.

Here's where I am so far, took me forever just to get the KRP-500M, and the stand was 50% off

here
    [​IMG]

I know I could prob get a decent HTIB with 50% of the money I saved, but I just wanna come home from school/work and look at something that reminds me of all the hard work I put in, all the sacrifices I made... ;)

I can probably keep on saving a bit more but I think there are some pretty damn good choices in the used market for around $1600. Thoughts?

bandeiroso, May 10, 2010
  2. bandeiroso

myrman

Usher BE-718s would be ideal. They are front ported so can go right up against a rear wall. I use mine in a similar sized room. Vocal performance is very high up the agenda for me and they deliver. US price on Audiogon tends to be around $1500 but budget for good stands too, they are essential IMO.
    Another choice worth considering would be a sealed box design like the ATC SCM19.

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2010
    myrman, May 18, 2010
  3. bandeiroso

narabdela

Lol, I think you mean lurking.

narabdela, May 19, 2010
  4. bandeiroso

LinearMan

LinearMan, May 19, 2010
  5. bandeiroso

bandeiroso

Thanks for the feedback. I admit I'd looked at ATC before, and I'm glad this brand keeps coming up again and again. I don't live under a rock and I don't think anyone has been able to ignore the Be-718's meteoric rise to stardom :) I like the Neats, but don't know what's available across the pond.

Does anyone have any experience with the Dali Mentor series?

bandeiroso, May 21, 2010
  6. bandeiroso

bandeiroso

lurking

bandeiroso, May 22, 2010
  7. bandeiroso

bandeiroso

Strange how I ended up going in a completely different direction.

I guess this happens to a lot of people. Ended up gabbing a pair of Dynaudio Audience 82 speakers for a ridiculously low price that I just couldn't pass up.

bandeiroso, Jun 9, 2010
  8. bandeiroso

danworth81 english through n through

Have a look at the Shearwater Meadowlarks made in the usa and will blow away alot of more expensive speakers from here and europe

If u want a speaker plus sub setup try the definitive technology range easily placed on or near a wall and blend very very well with their subs

danworth81, Jun 10, 2010
Ask a Question