You drive a car made by VW, have a computer by IBM, a jumper by Hugo Boss, a cooker..

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by amazingtrade, Aug 19, 2008.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

... by Siemems.,

All companies with big respect in todays society, however I find this quite chiling if its all true.

http://www.cracked.com/article_15767_p2.html

I guess it still goes on, I mean EADS and Boeing products are always getting into the wrong hands.

I actually love Germany as a country and I like German people, but everytime I think about the Nazi regieme I feel sick of digust.

I guess I sort of have the same problem with Korean cars, as their human rights record of recent years as been almost as bad as the Nazi's.

amazingtrade, Aug 19, 2008
  2. amazingtrade

tuga

You haven't been taking your medicine, have you?

tuga, Aug 19, 2008
  3. amazingtrade

Bob McC living the life of Riley

that plumber's solder can mess with your mind.

Bob McC, Aug 19, 2008
  4. amazingtrade

narabdela

Too much thinking can damage the brain.

narabdela, Aug 19, 2008
  5. amazingtrade

Markus S Trade

The article you link to is really rather stupid IMHO. Mixing the roles certain companies played in the 3rd Reich with other aspects to ridiculise them is not helpful.

Regarding Bayer and Heroin for example, Heroin was employed for medicinal uses for a long time (Marx saying religion was opium for the masses actually meant that religion was a soothing balm). Coca Cola reportedly started out containing cocaine. Just because substances were abused later does not merit
    shaking a stick at earlier uses.

Oh, and a jumper by Hugo Boss?

Regarding Korea, is it possible you do not distinguish between North and South Korea?

Markus S, Aug 19, 2008
  6. amazingtrade

Dev Moderator

Agreed.

Dev, Aug 19, 2008
  7. amazingtrade

anubisgrau

I actually love England as a country and I like English people, but everytime I think about colonialism and exploitation I feel sick of disgust.

anubisgrau, Aug 19, 2008
  8. amazingtrade

Dev Moderator

You forgot to mention genocide!:D.

Dev, Aug 19, 2008
  9. amazingtrade

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

And concentration camps, which we invented.

It's the Coca in coca-cola's name that should give it away... originally it was a fermented brew of Coca leaves (from which cocaine is extracted) and Kola nuts. At the time that it was invented, many such brews existed (Dandelion and Burdock is another example), meant as medicines - Coca-cola was claimed to cure headache, impotence and morphine addiction among other things.

Of course this situation arises. That's the nature of the world. We do business with our enemies. For example, we sold the Argentines Type 42 destroyers (and thus the Falklands war is the only conflict in which both sides have had the same design of ship). On that note also, the Belgrano was an american cruiser, and the super etendards and exocets were french.

In the case of german companies... If they existed pre-war then they clearly would have been drafted into the war effort. Mercedes made cars that hitler drove around in, but I don't see them on your list?

And what of japanese cars?

For that matter, what of Boeing? They made the plane from which the atomic bombs were dropped.

And to echo Markus, are you failing to distinguish between Democratic People's Republic of Korea and the Republic of Korea?

I-S, Aug 19, 2008
  10. amazingtrade

I know Boeing are no saints which is why I mentioned them on my first post. I think EADS are very clever separating Airbus as it would appear that Airbus has a clear record as far as defense is used although many of their aircraft have been converted to miletery use.

I know the British are so saints either.

On the plus side at least we don't see sleeping pills made by I.G Farden on the shelfs of boots.

I believe North Korea also has some dodgy human rights record in the past but hopefully it is all in the past.

11. amazingtrade

Dev Moderator

I recommend further reading AT.

Dev, Aug 19, 2008
  12. amazingtrade

OK will do sir :). :p:

13. amazingtrade

Dev Moderator

I know it sounded patronising but had to be said:p

Start here.

Dev, Aug 19, 2008
  14. amazingtrade

D Louth 77

Hi Dev

Its North Korea (South is where the cars come from) that has a major human rights issue (you have none ,you belong to the D... L....r). The South is a great country IMHO and despite still being at war with the North has made great progress . Watch Brotherhood for a South Korean view of things (fabulous and very moving film. If you liked Saving Private Ryan you should like this . You will have to read subtitles )

Many companies have had their inventions turned to evil . Can IBM's filing system be evil ,no . It was used for evil but it is not in its self evil. It is we the people who stuff every thing up .

It would also be a mistake to think that all Germans were Nazi's they were not . Put yourself in their position ,would you have been an Oscar Shindler or i was only following orders . We always love to think we would be better but would we? Would we stand and be counted or slink into the back ground . I think none of us would know until we are in these kind of situations (hopefully never again). Think about it,truthfully ?

Regards D Louth

Linn used to make parts for the MOD and may still do so. Does that make them EVIL ?

D Louth 77, Aug 19, 2008
  15. amazingtrade

Bob McC living the life of Riley

what a stupid thread.

Bob McC, Aug 19, 2008
  16. amazingtrade

FrankDeckard

If we were to avoid buying products from every single company that did a bad thing at some point in its history, we would be limited to very few products.

I'm sure most people have refused to buy products from specific countries on political/racial grounds.

It's the way the world is.

If you don't feel comfortable with a company's behaviour, don't buy stuff from them.

As the grandson of Holocaust survivors, I was raised in an environment where ownership of a German car was a very hot topic. You didn't do it. Ever.

Many years have past. I drive a German car, as does my Mother who was born in a DP camp in Germany.

"Hey Hitler, yeah you jerkweed with the stinky pits and funny looking facial hair. We're still here. We have also made enough shekels to buy your fancy schmancy cars. Stick that in your lederhosen."

I think I need to watch Fawlty Towers today.

Love to all.

Eva Prawn

FrankDeckard, Aug 19, 2008
  17. amazingtrade

penance Arrogant Cock

AT, the Nazi regime was very different to being a German citizen. You need to read some history. Start with Hitlers nationality and move on from there..

penance, Aug 19, 2008
  18. amazingtrade

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

D Louth - I'm very sure that Dev is aware of that.... It's AT that needs to read up.

I-S, Aug 19, 2008
  19. amazingtrade

Dev Moderator

I know D Louth, it was AT that was confused.

As Markus and Bob McC have said, what a stupid thread.

Edit: Isaac, just seen your post. Thanks :D.

Dev, Aug 19, 2008
  20. amazingtrade

penance Arrogant Cock

Oh dear, there is a comment from someone who thinks the holocoust was a hoax. How the **** anyone can think that is beyond comprehension.

As for the comments about IBM, it states that they were proud that their machines were helping the Nazi party, prior to the war. Well, PM Chamberlain did a fair amount to help too, should we class GB as Nazi sympathisers?

AT, you really should not post bollocks like this when you have no concept of what the history is. It is a very emotive and dangerous subject.

penance, Aug 19, 2008
Ask a Question