Zontec Record Clamp ?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Franz, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Franz

Franz

Hello guys , my name is Franz and I am new here on this forum.

My question is which record clamp would be a perfect choise for my Wilson Benesh Circle 25 turntable.
    It comes with a Sumiko stylus Bleupoint EVO III.

Also I would be glad to hear which turntable platter would be the best choice , is it acryl.......

I would like to get to know your experience on these subjects and thank you for anwering me I would appreciat it a lot.

Regards,
    Franz

Franz, Dec 1, 2020
  2. Franz

Sergeauckland

No record clamp would be better.

Firstly, if the record clamp is heavy, then it will put an extra strain on the main bearing and increase rumble. If the record clamp is not heavy, then it won't do very much at all. Even where the turntable is dished slightly, using a record clamp will distort the record slightly, so won't be perfectly horizontal. This may not matter with a conical stylus, but will matter with a line-contact stylus which are much more critical of alignment, but perform much better especially with regards to end-of-side distortion and High Frequency distortion generally due to pinch-effect.

As to the material of the platter, acrylic is good, as it is similar to the material of the record, but more importantly, the record should be supported evenly and well damped, so a soft rubber or felt mat works well.

If you must use a clamp, then one that screws down onto the turntable spindle works the best as these can be light and not stress the bearing and also can exert a strong force. However, the turntable spindle must be threaded as part of the manufacture, so isn't something that can be added later.

S.

Sergeauckland, Dec 1, 2020
  3. Franz

Gerontius

Hi Franz,

I endorse what Serge says. I tried using a clamp at one time but it made no difference at all to the sound, and sure, it could overload the bearing. If you have a warped record, lay it horizontal with a heavy book on top for a week or so.

As for a mat, felt is always good.

Gerontius

Gerontius, Dec 2, 2020
    Sergeauckland likes this.
Ask a Question