And this week's **** of the week is

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Dev, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Dev

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

To see if the word death is offensive or not.

amazingtrade, Feb 6, 2009
  2. Dev

johnandchris

Clarkson does have a point though!!!!!!!!!, although he forgot to mention the disjointed jaw!!!!!!!!!!!!!

johnandchris, Feb 6, 2009
  3. Dev

Dev Moderator

FFS, what's PC got to do with it? Why was it necessary to refer to his disability at all. Why not just call GB an idiot if that is what he wanted to do? Why the "Scottish" or "one eyed"? Is the implication that he's a bad PM just because he is Scottish or lost an eye in an accident? I'm not sure or care if GB is offended by the lack of "PC" I just think it shows bad taste.

Dev, Feb 6, 2009
  4. Dev

Yeah but he was doing a show, when you see JC you expect bad taste and shocking comments. If you went to see the Sex Pistols and they sounded like Cliff Richard you would be dissapointed. I did see the Sex Pistols and they did sound like Cliff Richard - I was not happy, I just kept wishing Joe Strummer was with us!

Edit I will admit that the eye comment was a bit cruel but I still think its a lot of fuss I he could have said far worse things.

5. Dev

felix part-time Horta

'One-eyed, Scottish idiot'

So far everyone has taken offence with, and won apology/apologists for the first two epithets

The third, however, stands. Nobody seems to have taken offence at Brown being called an idiot...

I love it.

felix, Feb 6, 2009
  6. Dev

But only idiots would take offence of that! I will admit I was heavily offended once when a bus driver called me deaf, because I do have a hearing problem and I spend all my life trying really really hard to hide it so I can sort of see how his remark may offend some people. I just have a big gripe about the media fuss made of it.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2009
  7. Dev

Tenson Moderator

Exactly, its Jeremy Clarkson, he makes stupid harsh comments that could offend some people. If you don't like it, don't watch it.

As it happens, Gordon Brown is Scottish and one eyed.

Tenson, Feb 6, 2009
  8. Dev

Dev Moderator

So if Stevie Wonder was a lousy PM...

Dev, Feb 6, 2009
  9. Dev

Dev Moderator

I imagine JC would've been applauded if he'd only used the word idiot.

Dev, Feb 6, 2009
  10. Dev

"He is an idiot" does not have the same entertainment value though. No doubt now JC will be sent to an idea shower at the BBC to suggests ways this will not happen again. Maybe a blue sky meeting would be more appropiate.

11. Dev

johnandchris

Have a major portion of the British public taken leave of their senses. Brown is Scottish- fact. Brown is an idiot - fact (many of his recent u-turns and denial of Britain in recesession when all experts claim otherwise proves this point). The only part of the statement that anyone could take offence to is the part to do with one eye.
    Come on boys and girls, Britain was not made great by undertaking to take offence at the first sign of any type of jibe.

johnandchris, Feb 6, 2009
  12. Dev

felix part-time Horta

Quite. All three components are actually factually correct, it's the linking them together as a derogatory statement that has people exercised.

felix, Feb 6, 2009
  13. Dev

spica

i don't care what TV people think..unless it's what their paid to think about. :)

spica, Feb 6, 2009
  14. Dev

Neil

"All three components are actually factually correct" - not quite - the original use of "idiot" was used when classifying learning difficulties (at the time referred to as "mental deficiencies") using IQ score. "Idiot" was <20 on the scale. Now probably called "profound learning difficulties". Other terms such as "moron" stem from these classifications - 50 - 69 IQ points - again there is a euphemistic term used these days.
    Interesting?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2009
    Neil, Feb 8, 2009
Ask a Question