Audiosmile acquires ZeroGain

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by RobHolt, Mar 28, 2011.

1. RobHolt

RobHolt Moderator

If you were a regular visitor to ZeroGain you'll no doubt be surprised to see that the place is under new ownership, so perhaps I could take a few minutes to explain some of the changes that have already been instigated and those that will follow over the next few weeks.

The biggest change is ownership and administration.
    Naturally, Audiosmile hopes to benefit commercially from the increased product and company exposure associated with a forum presence, and we won't deny that this formed one of the major drivers in the decision to acquire ZeroGain. However both Simon and I are keen to see a once busy forum return to previous form. It can no longer claim to be non-aligned in quite the same way but we both remain committed to encouraging open and uncensored discussion on all topics. This means business as usual for our members - even our Trade members.

In terms of forum ethos or direction there is no real change - we had already sought to position ZeroGain on the 'science drives the results' side of the argument and that will remain the position, so expect to see lots of testing, investigative articles and guides.

You will see the new Reference section is now part of the forum and this will be updated regularly. Users are encouraged to submit what they regard as reference material by contacting a forum moderator. The file can then be hosted and the link provided.

The forum moderators remain unchanged and have kindly agreed to continue, with the exception of Tony L (owner of pfm) who resigned as a moderator two weeks ago on hearing of the plans as he felt it would be a conflict of interest with pfm. The work of current and retiring moderators is very much appreciated.

Further announcements will follow as there are further changes and enhancements in the pipeline. In the meantime, see you online!

Simon & Rob

RobHolt, Mar 28, 2011
  2. RobHolt

Andy 831

Good Luck chaps I hope you make it a real success

Andy 831, Mar 28, 2011
  3. RobHolt

Markus S Trade

Good luck from me as well.

Markus S, Mar 28, 2011
  4. RobHolt

Sonusthree Coaxial Kid

Shouldn't this have waited until April the 1st? :D

Good luck guys! I'm a big fan of Zerogain and especially the more scientific approach of late.

I've a couple of questions:

How do you think that Simon's acquisition will help the forum?

Rob, do you currently have any professional involvement with Audiosmile?

Cheers,
    Martin.

Sonusthree, Mar 28, 2011
  5. RobHolt

nando nando

nice simon, very informative new forum. :)

nando, Mar 28, 2011
  6. RobHolt

Mr_Sukebe

Good luck chaps.

Just so I understand where you're coming from Rob. I'm guessing that many of us regularly visit PFM and what used to be ZG.
    How do you feel the two forums should compliment each other? Are there specific issues/elements that you feel the new AS should deal with or focus upon?

Mr_Sukebe, Mar 28, 2011
  7. RobHolt

Tenson Moderator

Good questions Martin.

It mostly comes down to the effort we can invest into the forum. ZeroGain has always had a warm place in my heart as it was the first UK forum I started posting on, and I'm sad to see it decline of late. Rob and I have discussed many times how to revive ZeroGain, and tried a number of things to do that. Unfortunatly the effort anyone can be expected to invest in their spare time just isn't enough. Making ZeroGain part of AudioSmile provides the incentive needed to really put a lot of work into getting it going again. Do keep checking in, because we will be posting a number of new threads to try and make the place interesting. The forum already has lots of people viewing, but what it really needs is people to contribute their own material, even if it is just basic questions from a beginner.

Rob currently has no official involvement with AudioSmile and receives no payment for his help. He is a very kind friend who wants to see his favourite hobby, and forum thrive. I suppose helping AudioSmile gives him a portal to do that.

Tenson, Mar 28, 2011
  8. RobHolt

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

Wishing Audiosmile and ZG all the best - I really hope folk support Simon and Rob in this as ZG is a great forum, one of the best IMO. I decided to step down as whilst Rob and the rest of the ZG mod team are good friends I felt my presence on a manufacturer sponsored forum could be viewed as a little inappropriate given that I sell trade advertising on my own forum (pfm). I'll still be around as a regular member though.

Tony.

TonyL, Mar 28, 2011
  9. RobHolt

Alan Brown

Congratulations Rob & Simon - I hope this guarantees the future of the forum. Very best of luck with it, and I'm quite sure you will show all how a manufacturer/trade owned forum ought to be handled.

Alan Brown, Mar 28, 2011
  10. RobHolt

nando nando

well put and it will be super.let us all make it so, :)

nando, Mar 28, 2011
  11. RobHolt

Neil

This being the first Audio forum I joined - the old "Groovehandle" days :) I hope to contribute more than I have of late.

Best of luck!

Neil, Mar 28, 2011
  12. RobHolt

RobHolt Moderator

Thanks guys.

Plenty of ideas in the pipeline and we'll make the threads as interactive as possible :)

RobHolt, Mar 28, 2011
  13. RobHolt

flatpopely Trade - AudioFlat

Well done, a brave move.

If there is anything I can do to help, however small you know where to reach me.

Very best wishes.

Andrew.

flatpopely, Mar 28, 2011
  14. RobHolt

Joe Petrik Denebian Slime Devil

Good luck, dudes.

Now about that Star Trek room...

Joe

Joe Petrik, Mar 29, 2011
  15. RobHolt

andyoz

Well Done

Do you think there might be a place for a dedictaed thread on the future of hifi.

I predict a major increase in the quality of iPod type products from the major and minor manufacturer's. The rise of HD and SSD space means some of the younger generation will make the move to lossless and then start chasing speaker/amp quality (again!).

I think this product looks amazing. You basically miss out the middle man, i.e. music server, and go straight from source to active speakers. Having Apple behind this (Apple Airplay) will make the non-audiophile generation take notice. I think you can differentiate yourself by embracing this new wave of products rather than ignoring them?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2011
    andyoz, Mar 29, 2011
  16. RobHolt

JonR

Best of luck, chaps :)

JonR, Mar 29, 2011
  17. RobHolt

VinylLover

All the best for the future guys.

Gordon

VinylLover, Mar 29, 2011
  18. RobHolt

Ozexpat Prog Lord

I have found myself a bit of a 'journeyman' with regard Audio forums. I struggle to find one that holds my complete interest (as some may have noticed). I look forward to seeing the direction that ZeroGain takes.
    You never know, I may bore you lot even more in the future.

Good luck, guys.

Ozexpat, Mar 29, 2011
  19. RobHolt

la toilette Downright stupid

Yep good luck. ZG had gone pretty quiet which is a shame as it always seemed a nice place to post, I hope it can be brought back to life a bit :).

la toilette, Mar 29, 2011
  20. RobHolt

RobHolt Moderator

Absolutely - go for it.

RobHolt, Mar 29, 2011
Ask a Question