Best Star trek ?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by D Louth 77, Sep 4, 2008.

1. D Louth 77

D Louth 77

Now Gone

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2008
    D Louth 77, Sep 4, 2008
  2. D Louth 77

Tenson Moderator

What was that next generation episode about? I like the one where Data goes back in time. Data rocks!

DS9 was very good later on but all the political stuff in the beginning was booooring. Then again I did watch it when I was young and it first came out. I must have been about 10 yrs old.

Babylon 5 was also very good, I watched that recently on download. Incredibly cheesy to begin with but a great story line with the Shadow and the Vorlon's. I like how it ended. Babylon 5: Crusade was kind of pants though.

Tenson, Sep 4, 2008
  3. D Louth 77

Corruption

D Louth - the Inner Light is definitely one of the best TNG episodes ever, along with the Best of Both Worlds 2-parter. Overall I liked DS9 the best, although I do have a soft spot for the Original Series as that's what I grew up with and was responsible (along with Gerry Anderson and Star Wars) for my love of Sci-Fi.

Babylon 5 beats the lot though. Worth watching all 5 series just for the relationship between Londo and G'Kar and how they change as people due to the situations they find themselves in. Funny how all of my favourite characters are the non-human ones... Odo/Quark, Data, Q etc etc.

I didn't watch much of Voyager and didn't bother at all with Enterprise, although I guess I may have liked it given the chance. Scott Bakula was always ace in Quantum Leap.

Best Sc-Fi series ever though is Firefly, which was criminally cancelled by Fox. Serenity (the film that follows the series) is awesome too. Joss Whedon rules (I'm also a big Buffy fan!)

Just to top it off, before I completely run away with this topic - top 5 Sci-Fi movies are:

Blade Runner
    Solaris
    Serenity
    Alien
    The Terminator

Honourable mentions to Silent Running, Star Wars trilogy, Aliens, The Matrix, Planet of the Apes, Dark City, Akira and A Scanner Darkly.

Corruption, Sep 4, 2008
  4. D Louth 77

Tenson Moderator

One of the women from Firefly (I haven't seen it) is in Stargate Atlantis. Shes quite cute. :)

I think actually Stargate SG1 is my favorite sci-fi. Jack was funny.

Tenson, Sep 4, 2008
  5. D Louth 77

lbr monkey boy

Well, definitely not the original series - that has not aged well. In fact, thinking about it, you could level that criticism of anything with Shatner in it.

Never really got into deep space, but next gen was good and voyager was OK.

However, I've got to second the recommendations of Babylon 5 - I've got all on DVD and it's miles ahead of Star Trek IMHO (at least once you get past the cheesy first series...)

lbr, Sep 4, 2008
  6. D Louth 77

SMEagol Because we wants it...

Silent Running, thats a great film. As is The Original Day the Earth Stood Still, and the terrific Starman, which will no doubt be comprehensively buggered up by Hollywood...

Solaris, seen the George Clooney one, apparently he begged the studio to appear in the remake as its his favourite film!

I think there's a rightness with Jean Luc Picard, that I just don't get with Katherine Janeway. I really struggle with DS9, Quarks great of course, Odo - couldn't care less if he got stuck as a fruit smoothie. Too many random aliens wandering about too, alright we've seen the cantina bar in Star Wars - get over it!

I think Babylon 5 could descend into "Question Time in Space" - too many pointless meetings with Hammy aliens, and those crappy "Russianesque" guys and the walking Dyson Hoover in the cape - yep, not a fan then...

SMEagol, Sep 5, 2008
  7. D Louth 77

shrink

Afraid its next generation all the way for me... deep space nine suffered too many flaws, and was guilty of one too many bad actors. Cisco in particular was awfull. Stewart as Picard is perfect marriage of part and actor.

Babylon 5 was excellent for plot line and story, but suffered from needing too much viewer involvment. You had to watch ALL of it, from the start, to the end, or none of it made any sense. Its a bit hardcore.

The BEST sci fi series to come out in the last 10 years, absolutely has to be the new Battlestar Galactica, which surpasses levels of quality for acting, effects, production, plot and overall entertainment value. Its simply one of the best pieces of dramatic television i have seen in years.

shrink, Sep 5, 2008
  8. D Louth 77

Corruption

I forgot about Battlestar Galactica. I remember the original well, and have seen most of the first two series of the new iteration - quite impressed so far but I have yet to be convinced that they know where it's going (just like Lost).

Another one yet to be mentioned - Farscape was a decent show for the first few series, and Scorpius was turning into one of the best villains ever - then it descended into a bit of a farce unfortunately. Having muppets on board didn't help mind :)

As for Star Trek, Picard was the best Captain. However there just was something not quite right about seeing him smooching with Vash compared to Kirk getting down and dirty with any alien totty that happened to come along. Kirk epitomises awesomeness and cheese in equal measure :)

Corruption, Sep 5, 2008
  9. D Louth 77

Little known fact - Cisco's acting career is sponsored by the forestry commission...

I think there was something wrong with Kirks eyesight - every time he saw a lady he fancied she went all soft focus... been there.

Farscape was great, I really liked the concept and the aliens, Scorpius was brilliant with his core cooled head! It all went a bit carp though as you say Corruption, it just got silly.

Anyone remember that Star Trek where Picard gets tortured by a Cardassian (the brilliant David Warner), that had some genuinely chilling moments, probably one of the best acted and darkest Star Treks I've seen.

SMEagol, Sep 5, 2008
  10. D Louth 77

Corruption

"There....are....FOUR...lights!"

Yep, absolutely brilliant! Always liked David Warner and these episodes (Chain of Command parts 1 and 2 iirc) were exceptionally good.

The best episode of Babylon 5 for me, was in Season 4 where Bester (played perfectly by Trek stalwart Walter Koenig) reveals to Garibaldi that the Psi-Corps have been using him for the past half-season to do their dirty work. That was such a revelation and I never saw it coming - excellent storytelling and acting in that one.

Also the one where Londo is forced by the Emperor to have G'kar tortured and his eye put out - at this point I think for the first time Londo can see where his choices are leading him and he doesn't like the look of it....

It's such a pity that many people dismiss Sci-fi as always being cheesy and obsessed with special effects when there are so many examples of great characters and stories....

Corruption, Sep 5, 2008
  11. D Louth 77

shrink

yes that star trek is a two parter called "chain of command" and remains one of my absolute fav episodes. In fact all my fav next gen episodes are ones where picard is at his best.

My all time fav is one called "starship mine" where he's stuck onboard the ship, alone with some terrorists, and he just screws up their plans totally. Its a superb episode.

"disaster" picard stuck in a turbolift with a bunch of kids lol.

so many examples of very fine acting on Patrick Stewarts behalf.

As for battlestar Galactica, from what ive seen of their ability to weave an incredibly interesting story, i suspect they know exactly where they are going with it, and i for one, am on the edge of my seat waiting for the end of season 4 to come. Will be a sad day when it does though. Its the price you pay for such high production values versus simply not enough viewers.

shrink, Sep 5, 2008
  12. D Louth 77

FrankDeckard

"When I was at band camp..."

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

TNG was the most entertaining series by far. How could you not like "Q" or Beverly Crusher. I did want to kick some Borg ass at some point.

The "new" Battlestar Galactica (at least the first season) was very well done. I still find Lorne Green better as "Adama". Edward James Olmos sound like he is still stuck doing "Miami Vice" and I'm waiting for Rico and Tubbs to be caught snorting coke in the hangar bay while checking out Starbuck's behind.

Top Sci-Fi

Blade Runner
    Aliens
    Sunshine
    The Wrath of Khan

Star Wars (even if I do love it) is fantasy, not real sci-fi.

"Sushi...and noodles"

FrankDeckard, Sep 5, 2008
  13. D Louth 77

shrink

good list Frank..... i agree on all counts.

Sunshine was an excellent film, saw it in the cinema. Bought it on DVD.

Wrath of Khan, what more can be said.... still one of the greatest uses of 3D "space" ever in a space fight. For once they got past the idea that ships dont always have to be parallel to each other :)

shrink, Sep 5, 2008
  14. D Louth 77

Colin2040

My colleague raved about Sunshine and I borrowed his DVD. It is probably the only DVD where I couldnt wait for all the characters to die.Probably the second worst film I have ever seen.Different strokes.

Colin2040, Sep 5, 2008
  15. D Louth 77

tones compulsive cantater

I'd second that opinion of "Sunshine" as a truly terrible film.

On the subject of "Trek", nobody has mentioned my favourite TNG episode Yesterday's "Enterprise", where the "missing link" Enterprise C appears and the whole of history changes and nobody except Guinan realises it.

tones, Sep 7, 2008
  16. D Louth 77

shrink

good episode, but its never been my favourite. Too much tasha yar in it, and i cant stand her. Glad they killed her off so early, she was a rubbish actress.

shrink, Sep 7, 2008
  17. D Louth 77

D Louth 77

Hi Guys

Enjoying this thread a lot.

I agree about B5 first season but it did set the scene for the shadow war and the other stories that followed . Its a pity that the final stories got rushed a bit . But when the choper is ready to chop ,i guess you have to try and finish what you can . The movies that followed were mostly good ,however Lost Tales and Legend of the rangers( good to see G'Kar again) were a bit of a disappointment . I do hope that more follows ,but some how i doubt it .

As to TNG ,i do like it a lot and certainly ,the episodes mentioned are good but wooden acting (SIsko). I nominate Will Riker as being much worse. Heck he had wood worm he was that bad IMHO.

Yesterdays Enterprise is an excellent episode , in away its a pity ,they did not do a follow up on that Captain. I liked Rachel Garrett as a character and this is a strong story apart from the cock ups with Klingon hard ware . I build models as a past time and particularly SCi-fi ones . So i guess i am a bit of a nurd about what type of space ship is what . No doubt this was down to budget.

Battle Star Galactica . Loved the first movie hated the series . A team in space . However Lorne Green was excellent as Adama. The nerw series started well and as gone from strength to strength . I like the updating of the concepts but again the issues around hard ware bother me a bit . In the first mini series/movie they show old Cylon ships and Centurions but don't say when these date from . I like the new hard ware but i would almost prefer if they had left the references to the original series out .

FireFly . Liked the movie Swerenity but the series ? Not sure ,i will need to watch it . I have the DVD box set just havent got round to it yet.

Watched the Invaders box set over the last couple of days . Colds do have their uses after all . Every episode is fantastic. If you guys havent seen this and i know SMEago has ,then you should check it out . Excellent stories and very strong acting. My wife watched a couple the other day and she liked it,much to my surprise.

As to Denise Crosby,she did come back as the Romulan Sela (Tasha Yars daughter,i can't realy see that happening. Consorting with the Enemy and all.)

Sunshine . I liked this film . It does have its flaws but its not bad.

Solaris . Thought the remake was quite good . Mr Clooney was good but you can't beat the original IMHO . Thought it is very long .

Regards D Louth

D Louth 77, Sep 8, 2008
  18. D Louth 77

lbr monkey boy

I'd also throw in a recommendation for 4400, the missus and I have enjoyed both series muchly

lbr, Sep 8, 2008
  19. D Louth 77

Guinan - a presposterous character with a silly hat, so smug - almost as bad as (admittedly easy on the eye yet crap empath) - Deanna Troy -
    "judging by the axe in your back I'm sensing pain..." etc...

not seen 4400, must have a nosey.

What's this Tinman thing, since i have a clockwork telly and no Sky. I understand the boxset is out.

SMEagol, Sep 8, 2008
  20. D Louth 77

D Louth 77

HI SMEago

Tinman is a new spin on the Wizard of Oz. Much darker,no music and no Munckins . I have seen bits of it but it clashed with other things . Sci-fi channel are about to show it but Sky 1 was first. I would have to watch it to be able to offer any opinion. The bits i saw looked interesting ,but to be honest i hated the Wizard of Oz so much it put me off watching this mini series.

4400 started well but i lost interest in it,again i think it clashed with something slse but i can't remember what . The dvd box sets are pretty cheap now so worth a look . 4 series in total so far,maybe the 4th is the last .

Any of you remember series like The Children of the Stones,Time Slip. Childrens series from the 70's but quality ,unlike what is made for kids today IMHO.

Regards D Louth

D Louth 77, Sep 10, 2008
Ask a Question