Best Star trek ?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by D Louth 77, Sep 4, 2008.

1. D Louth 77

D Louth 77

Hi corruption .

I like a number of Mr Lynch's movies but Eraserhead ,his first must have been made while on drugs or having a mental breakdown. What is it with a girl with fur on the side of her face ,dancing behind a radiator . Weirddddddddddddd.

Dune ,is pretty much what the book is about and yes Davids approach to things makes it a wee bit alien,but i think that is what we want with alien cultures/worlds. The movie adds to Frank Herberts book with the weapons which fire a sound created by the words shouted into it . A word can kill . I like this concept and don't mind its addition to the film. Dune purists will disagree.

So Star Trek not till next year ,heck i thought christmas was a good time for a family movie? More likely they have LOST their way on it ,heh?

Regards D Louth

D Louth 77, Sep 20, 2008
  2. D Louth 77

Corruption

The novel Dune is to sci-fi what Lord of the Rings is to fantasy - an epic masterpiece that is pretty much without peer.

I re-read it recently and was still mightily impressed with the scale of the story. I've avoided reading any of the sequels until now - can anyone recommend them or do they diminish the overall strength of the story/characters?

I did enjoy the film too, great cast made it what it was though (Patrick Stewart, Jurgen Prochnow, Max von Sydow, Sian Phillips, Francesca Annis, Everett McGill etc...)

Generally looking forward to the new Star Trek film, although as much as I liked him in Spaced and Shaun of the Dead/Hot Fuzz, I can't see Simon Pegg doing the Scotty role justice :(

Corruption, Sep 20, 2008
  3. D Louth 77

D Louth 77

Hi Corruption

I have been buying all the Dune books so i can read them all. I haven't read any of the follow ups from the original set but i haven't heard about any major negativity on them so maybe buy one and see what you think.

Yes i agree that the cast for the new Trek movie is a bit odd but i guess that any one in any of these roles will have a massive job in trying to be convincing in these well loved iconic roles. I think J Abrams has set himself for a fall on this one but we shall see.

Regards D Louth

D Louth 77, Sep 21, 2008
  4. D Louth 77

Tenson Moderator

What do you guys rate as the best DS9 episodes? I am watching through it now. It is so long since I watched it when it came out that I don't remember much of it.

Oh, watched Firefly too - awesome! Jewel Staite is a lot better in this than Atlantis.

Tenson, Sep 23, 2008
  5. D Louth 77

shrink

-the way of the warrior
    -the search pts 1 and 2
    -past tense pts 1 and 2
    -the defiant

shrink, Sep 23, 2008
  6. D Louth 77

FrankDeckard

How many Star Trek movies can one take...

Wrath of Khan was the only one I could watch more than once.

"Revenge is a dish best served cold...and it's mighty cold in space".

Same deal with Star Wars. Clone Wars was putrid.

I've read all of the Dune books and I have to confess that I liked the television mini-series more than the movie. Watching Sting prance around like an idiot bellowing "I will kill him" was too much.

I do think the original book was far superior to the rest of the story.

I'd like to see a good version of "Robots of Dawn" and perhaps Part III of 2001...

It's the part where a hottie from Alaska with an itchy trigger finger nukes Venezuela for dissing her which leads to a global meltdown and our need to colonize northern Scotland.

Slow work day.

FrankDeckard, Sep 23, 2008
  7. D Louth 77

D Louth 77

The 2001 books . Just when i thought they were finished up pops the revelation that the Time Odyssey books are related to the 2001 series . The earth is under attack from those that built the Monolith ,the First Ones. I am not to sure about this idea. Sort of goes against the 2001 series books . I guess i will just have to accept what Mr Clarke and Baxter came up with . I am reading the 3rd and final book(in the Time Odyssey trilogy) at present .

Just when i thought this was Arthur C clarkes final book up pops another, i will have to check it out.

I would love to see Rendevous with Rama turned into a movie.

Star trek 2 is IMHO the best Trek movie but First Contact and Generations are also good IMHO.

I will have to have a think about best DS9 stories .

Regards D louth.

D Louth 77, Sep 24, 2008
  8. D Louth 77

Tenson Moderator

I have only seen the 2001 movie... but how the hell would earth survive an attack from life forms so advanced that they instigated our own evolution?

The best Star Trek movies IMO were the one where Kirk and team go back to save a whale. Its nice when they just have a bit of fun in the film. The best serious one is First Contact. There is a new one soon, right?

Tenson, Sep 24, 2008
  9. D Louth 77

Hamilton

It's mostly the funny ones that have stuck in my mind - especially the tribbles one, the 'Roswell' one, and the one where the old Klingon reprobates from the original series turned up. Of the more serious eps, I remember liking the 2-parter where Sisko and Bashir get stuck in a 21st century ghetto, and there were a few more serialised episodes at the beginning of one of later seasons to do with the Great Big War Against The Dominion that were pretty exciting if I recall. Favourite character was the Cardassian tailor/spy Garak brilliantly played by the bloke from the first Hellraiser (I think).

Hamilton, Sep 25, 2008
  10. D Louth 77

Corruption

Andrew J Robinson.

Garak and Gul Dukat (Mark Alaimo) were two of the best Star Trek characters ever.....

Corruption, Sep 25, 2008
  11. D Louth 77

D Louth 77

Hi Guys

Tenson Yes i know what you mean . This is why i have struggled with this concept. There is a threat to mankind at the end of the second book/film ,for mankind not to go near europa . If you do we will wipe you out. I think that this new idea/copncept has been tacked on to the old and thus doesn't really work. I have still to finish the book anyway,so i don't know how all the threads are being pulled together.

Corruption you are right . Mark Alaimo is a fantastic actor and every time GUl Dukat is is in a story it just shone . I feel the same about the G'kar character in B5 ,he was a great/deep creation played by a brilliant actor ,who died a few years ago.

Regards D Louth

D Louth 77, Sep 26, 2008
  12. D Louth 77

mike lacey Akiverer

The next ST fillum is in the style of, and from what I 've seen has the characters of the original series. BUT....

SPOCK IS SYLAR HE WILL KILL THEM ALL

Oh and BG would be great if it was not for Starfuck; just tooooo annoying for words

mike lacey, Dec 7, 2008
  13. D Louth 77

mike lacey Akiverer

mike lacey, Dec 7, 2008
  14. D Louth 77

D Louth 77

Hi Mike

I must say that I have major reservations about this new movie. Firstly we should be setting off to watch it in a week or two but NO !!!!!! Now we have to wait until April?May, WHY ? I feel that the Star Trek universe is a pretty well established thing and along comes Mr Abraham's and screws it all up. Or so it seems. Firstly Kirk was the third Captain of the Enterprise. Robert April and Christopher Pike pre-dated him. How on Earth can you build a ship on Earth that has never had a planetary landing capability and why have the Romulans in the show when they did not appear on the scene until the Balance of Terror story. This was the first time Star Fleet had contact with them since a war a hundred years before. This sort of thing bugs me big time. I just don't see the point in this movie. However maybe it will be good but I doubt it. The trailers are cut so fast that unless you record them and watch frame by frame you can't make much out about it. I tried and it still moves to fast. We will just have to wait. Casting choices are a bit weird too. However Sylar isn't a bad alternative to Lenard Nimoy.

regards D Louth 77

D Louth 77, Dec 7, 2008
  15. D Louth 77

Nic Robinson

And the ship looks crap.:eek:

Nic Robinson, Dec 18, 2008
  16. D Louth 77

RDD Longterm Lurker

And WTF is the opening car chase about?? Why Abraham's couldn't have had it on hover bikes or small shuttle craft as would be used at the time rather than 1960's machines that long since would have turned to dust (or been in a museum) confuses the hell out of me :confused:

RDD, Dec 18, 2008
  17. D Louth 77

shrink

it is all a bit daft and seeminly approached from a non canon perspective. In that the events of this movie seem to have no bearing whatsoever on the established and recorded star trek universe as we know it.

Its artistic licence taken to its extreme, and possible unrightfully so, it may however, be good entertainment.

shrink, Dec 18, 2008
  18. D Louth 77

D Louth 77

?

Al will be revealed next year. Good or a pile of crap ?

D Louth 77

D Louth 77, Dec 18, 2008
  19. D Louth 77

monay

star trek

[removed]

monay, Sep 14, 2009
  20. D Louth 77

shrink

wow... cleverly constructed spam

shrink, Sep 14, 2009
Ask a Question