Cable Happy.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by rollo, Nov 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rollo

banpe2006

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2007
    banpe2006, Nov 29, 2007
  2. rollo

anon_bb Honey Badger

It can tell us everything about the cable issue - which is the pertinent issue here.

anon_bb, Nov 29, 2007
  3. rollo

cooky1257

Spoken like a true lab technician and wrong.

cooky1257, Nov 29, 2007
  4. rollo

anon_bb Honey Badger

Spoken like a scientist - and correct until there is robust evidence to the contrary.

anon_bb, Nov 29, 2007
  5. rollo

DavidF

Its possible....

.....but I don't think its quite the Holy Grail some people are making it out to be.

DavidF, Nov 30, 2007
  6. rollo

JCL

True David. Which is why people really won't be risking their lives if they partake in an A-B.

JCL, Nov 30, 2007
  7. rollo

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

here's another idea.

audio memory being so short, apparently.

who don't we do AXB tests,and try and identify the X in the middle.

sq225917, Nov 30, 2007
  8. rollo

DavidF

No.....indeed not.

DavidF, Nov 30, 2007
  9. rollo

zanash

Its no good all bleating .....those that can't or won't hear will not change their inability to perceive regardless of the scientific papers presented or any number of listening test ab axb double triple quadrupl blind. Its just human nature no one wants to admit there wrong......or don't have the hearing capability or equipment thats not as good as the next person.

You all seem to forget I was a cable sceptic for at least ten years till I was able to compare an Audioquest Ruby against the freebies I was using....so ok the difference was not huge but there was a difference. I've built a hundred plus different designs of cables some are better some are worse but theirs no doubt in my mind that even on lofi to nofi you can hear a difference ...anyone saying you can't has a serious problem either gear related, room related or perception related .......or dogma

Anyone with a cd that has two output can do this simple test ....get two dissimilar cables ie the freebie and A N other connect up to two identical inputs on your amp ...its best if you have a remote control as you can then switch inputs without moving ....

play any track and switch between inputs ......theres no kind way to say this but if you can't hear the obvious your in the wrong hobby.......

you don't need silly tests or fancy equipment your ears should be good enough ......As Rollo pointed out.

If your not hearing a difference it doesn't meant there is no difference it just means you can't hear it.

Remember though that cables with similar LR and C must be similar and therefore if these are the overiding factors then of course they will sound the same ..as they will be by inference the same. If you alter the conductor you will not have the same electrical parameters and therefore the LCR will have to be different.....just look at the physics regarding resistance ....if you change the metal you change the resistivety but if you maintain the same crossectional area the resistance has to change QED. Therefore copper and silver ic's having the same conductor size must show different electrical properties....and if you believe that LCR are the be all and end all [very short sighted imo] of ic sound then you've just proved that there will be some effect.....weither you can or want to hear it is immaterial the electrical characteristic will be different .....whos going to argue that one with ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_resistance

zanash, Nov 30, 2007
  10. rollo

Stereo Mic

Science does indeed cover the subject more than adequately.

What's funny is all these protestations, claiming science is wrong, yet not a single example of it being so, nor one fanatic prepared to back the bluster up by testing their claims in a controlled enviroment. Laughable. In short. If anyone can demonstrate that they can reliably identify audible differences in cables then we have a debate.

Until that time we just have a group of religious advocates spreading the faith and insulting people when questioned. Indeed their behavior is very similar to that of some of the more objectionable religious cults currently polluting the planet. It's interesting to see how they fail to cope with their belief structure being questioned by the application of logic.

Stereo Mic, Nov 30, 2007
  11. rollo

Stereo Mic

This is the kind of bull shit being peddled by manufacturers the world over and has already been discredited in this thread and on sites the world over.

I noticed Zanash stayed really quiet when this was posted earlier, showing the real impact of conductors. Maybe you'd like to address those issues now, seeing as you insist on peddling this crap?

Basically, you are using this site to peddle cables sold under false pretences. There is no getting away from that. You also refuse to subject your wares to scrutiny from anyone remotely questioning of your claims. Please put up or ...

Stereo Mic, Nov 30, 2007
  12. rollo

lordsummit moderate mod

banpe2006, any more personal attacks on other members will result in your being banned.

Are we not all bored of the same circular argument by the way?

Seems to go, it does, it doesn't, it does, it doesn't ad infinitum, with a few choice insults along the way

lordsummit, Nov 30, 2007
  13. rollo

DavidF

LOL

DavidF, Nov 30, 2007
  14. rollo

DavidF

Don't get your self banned, mate.

It really isn't worth it.

:)

DavidF, Nov 30, 2007
  15. rollo

Bob McC living the life of Riley

don't have the hearing capability or equipment thats not as good as the next person.

anyone saying you can't has a serious problem either gear related, room related or perception related

theres no kind way to say this but if you can't hear the obvious your in the wrong hobby

If your not hearing a difference it doesn't meant there is no difference it just means you can't hear it

All products sold sale or return so you can evaluate them yourself. If you dare!

Bob McC, Nov 30, 2007
  16. rollo

unclepuncle

Still not 100% sure what the state of play is - so as recommended by Stereo Mic I have trawled back through the thread to try to discern it.

Ok - so as per my previous request for clarification, as far as I can see from the posts in this thread and especially the one quoted above, the deal here is that Stereo Mic and disciples believe that all cables generally available should have very simliar LCR if competently designed (which I'm assuming most are despite Bottlenecks issues with the Audioquest cables he tried) and, that being the case, they will sound the same, and it will be impossible for anyone with normal hearing to tell them apart.

As an example, is there going to massive difference in the electrical characteristics of say 1m off Russ Andrew bottom of the range cable (Tonik) and his top of the range one (KS-1036). If so, why, and how does that impinge on the arguments. If not, does that mean that the anti cables faction believe it is scientifcally impossible to hear any difference between them.

I'm not siding with either side I just want to know where the battle line is drawn.:confused:

unclepuncle, Nov 30, 2007
  17. rollo

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hi UP

I don't think the issues around cables are discernable into two camps, each of which have a prophet.

In my personal case, my view is 'broadly similar' to SM's.. not the same.

bottleneck, Nov 30, 2007
  18. rollo

anon_bb Honey Badger

The senses deceive.

anon_bb, Nov 30, 2007
  19. rollo

DavidF

Then why are you listening to hifi at all?

(ie if you don't feel you can beleive your own senses?)

:)

DavidF, Nov 30, 2007
  20. rollo

unclepuncle

Sorry Chris - only joshing about the disciples bit:D

unclepuncle, Nov 30, 2007
Ask a Question