Decided to resit my GCSE in maths

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by amazingtrade, Aug 5, 2009.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

After getting a D in 1999 it has always bugged me. Nearly four years of my running my business and 4 years since I have graduated my brain is dying. I also need to meet new people so I have decided as I am currently making a lot of money to resit my GCSE in Maths and get that A I always should have got.

I am just a bit worried it may be full of scallies or people much older/younger than me with nobody my age (25-30).

Has anybody experienced sitting GCSEs later in life? It will also seem a bit of a shock compared to doing a degree. (the style of teaching I mean).

amazingtrade, Aug 5, 2009
  2. amazingtrade

spica

are your doing it for yourself ?
    being as you know you can do it, you must be doing it for the part of you that you don't know :)

spica, Aug 6, 2009
  3. amazingtrade

mick parry stroppy old git

Mr Amazing trade

Stop making mountains out of molehills.

A level maths is not that difficult and the pass rate is probably 90%, so go to the class, take the bloody exam and pin the certificate on the wall.

It really is nothing to get excited or worried about.

Regards

Mick

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2009
    mick parry, Aug 6, 2009
  4. amazingtrade

The pass rates never account for the 50% of students who dropped out well before exams even began. It is a media obsession who and they always spin the actual facts as it makes the typical Daily Star reader feel good knowing that exams are too easy these days so they are worthless anyway.

I will go to college and do it. I need something like that in my life at the moment. I just don't have any experience of proper adult education. There lots of older people at university but that was just very different.

At same time I would not be happy with a load of imature 16 year olds either!

amazingtrade, Aug 6, 2009
  5. amazingtrade

Soloist In my lonely furrow

Do it while you are young. I left school with 'O' levels only and went straight out into industry, only returning to further education in my late 30s with a business to run and a family. It is true that these sort of courses do attract a wide variety of people though. I would say aim higher, do 'A' level and really prove something to yourself. I hope your note about making lots of money means you are no longer a busy fool (been there myself) and that you are charging what you are worth?

Oh, and good luck!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2009
    Soloist, Aug 6, 2009
  6. amazingtrade

mr cat Member of the month

whatever you do - just walk / hop on a bus to college...as I suspect any potenial car issues will distract you too much... :D

mr cat, Aug 6, 2009
  7. amazingtrade

Graffoeman

I work in a teacher training college and we get the full spectrum of ages - 21 to 60! A lot of the 'more mature' students will spend a year or two, before enrolling for the teacher training, getting the required minimum qualifications - this will almost always include gcse maths! I think you'll be fine!

Do the course work with the 30-somethings and go on the piss with the 20-somethings - job done. :D

Graffoeman, Aug 6, 2009
  8. amazingtrade

DavidF

:D

Yes, for god's sake don't take the motor!

I left school with nowt worth having.

I decided when I was 20 to do a national diplama in commercial horticulture and needed 5 Os to get in, so I took a year out( I was living at home at that point so no expenses) to study.

You get very diverse section of people (I went to a college of FE), some idiots (yes :() , some bored house wives, some people of my age now I guess (40s).

MOST of them were pretty motivated.

Get the "O" before you get the "A" , despite what anyone says (if they are lucky enough to be ab able to claim it) Its NOT a walk in the park especially if you have other obligations.

I am taking on another interest as I write (if the damned course would run). Its an excellent way of meeting new people/potentially making new friends.

edit, Talk to the college about the level you want.

If you got a D it maybe you could go straight into an A.

Talk to them and think about it.

DavidF, Aug 6, 2009
  9. amazingtrade

I do find maths very difficult to A level at the moment just scares me. I just need that GCSE and if I like it then I can consider the A level :).

At high school I worked my way up from bottom set to set two out of five sets but that sadly was not enough to get that C :(.

10. amazingtrade

DavidF

Yes, well that the point.

If yoiu found it all a sinch you could have gunned straight for the A level.

Take it steady, get the O first.

Get an A GRADE at that

DavidF, Aug 6, 2009
  11. amazingtrade

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I did a PGCE in teacher training at the age of 26. I was probably about the average age. There were about 5-10 people who were 30-50.

Why not contact the actual college and find out that way.

At my ripe old age of 37 a 25 year old looks just like a 20 year old - so if you're in that rough age group whats the worry anyway?

...And if you're older like me - 30's 40's etc - you are too old to give a crap what other people think.... which is of course the right and proper reaction, and one that you will come to anyway in time :)

bottleneck, Aug 6, 2009
  12. amazingtrade

Just going to pop down now to see if I can find anything out. I am 26 but I won't be for long before the trees turn to brown I shall be 27.

13. amazingtrade

mr cat Member of the month

I bet you worry about worrying... :)

mr cat, Aug 6, 2009
  14. amazingtrade

spica

you can buy a PHD over the net for a £tenner£ :D

whatever........enjoy :)

spica, Aug 6, 2009
  15. amazingtrade

DavidF

Thats not quite the same thing.

Don't discourage the lad.

DavidF, Aug 6, 2009
  16. amazingtrade

spica

not me laddie :)

spica, Aug 6, 2009
  17. amazingtrade

scott_01

I'd like to take this opportunity to condemn Pink Floyd for irresponsible promotion of arson, civil disorder and helping to inspire Radiohead.

Don't worry AT that isn't what all schools are like, honest. You'll be fine.

Unless of course you tell them you are a member of a hi fi forum then they will all laugh at you. That's what happens to me, laughed at, shunned, humiliated; maybe I'll write a song about it,,,

scott_01, Aug 6, 2009
  18. amazingtrade

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Why not do something meaningful to your business, what about one of those microsoft partner things or what ever they are called.

You might think you know it all but you don't. I don't see the point in reliving the past. Getting a GCSE in Math now will get you nothing, probably not even 'self esteem' or what ever it is you are looking for.

Better to get something relevant to your business, it will enable you to charge more.

garyi, Aug 6, 2009
  19. amazingtrade

DavidF

The same thought actually ran through my mind AT.

Unless you really need or want to do this, think hard about Gary's last sentence.

I'm in a similar position, the ND I spoke of I cocked up unfortunately, to the extent I got a bare pass. It rankled for many years. I don't see the point of redressing the issue thouigh especially as I'm out of horticulture now.

DavidF, Aug 6, 2009
  20. amazingtrade

My ex was saying the same thing funnily enough. The other thing I have been thinking about is getting a small office. This would have the same effect of getting me out of the house and into some routine.

Phoning up about a 156sq foot one within walking distance. At the moment I am sick of waking up to see a pile of laptops that need fixing.

Ask a Question