Ex HiFi repair engineer, advice given

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Bloonose, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Bloonose

Bloonose

Just joined today and wanted to offer any help I can on older Hifi Equipment you may have which is faulty! I used to work on all the major Jap stuff plus Audiolab, Arcam etc. I still have spare Laser Mechanisms for CD players by Technics if required to keep some older machines going?

I have also posted a sale of all my old Vinyl in the classified's and have quite a bit of old equipment for sale if anyone's interested inc a 4 Track Teac/Tascam reel to reel player:eek:

Don't be shy ;)

Bloonose, Mar 20, 2009
  2. Bloonose

DaveHiFi Seeking Nirvana

engineer

Hi there im sure your skills will be in great demand on here. Welcome

Regards

Dave

DaveHiFi, Mar 20, 2009
  3. Bloonose

andyoz

Kind offer.

Perhaps let us know of what tasty 70/80's Jap gear you worked on, especially speakers.

andyoz, Mar 20, 2009
  4. Bloonose

Bloonose

Not really much to say about working on speakers! Replacing drivers is quite straight forward. Some makes had thermal fuses in the crossovers MS I seem to remember? Bose sub's with satellite tweeters were a big deal when they 1st came out. I've made a few sets, one pair had the really big Kef drivers which were oval shaped and flat at the front! I now do something different for a living so if anyone needs a pair of speakers re veneered in something special like Burr Elm or Pippy Oak, just let me know. I can also make cabinets to house all of your lovely equipment, or a special plinth for spinning your discs if you have any ;)

Bloonose, Mar 21, 2009
  5. Bloonose

SMEagol Because we wants it...

Hello Bloo

Welcome to the forum!

Heres a problem... How about a TEAC VRDS10 that occasionally recognises discs. Its an intermittent thing, its had a new laser in to no avail.
    It came when I bought it with the transit screw missing, the bloke I bought it off said he'd go halves on the repair, and despite being well immobilised in transit after the repair guy ran his calibration on it and fitted a new laser, it still won't work, I sold it to Thrudge thinking it had been repaired, but sadly no. Its a lovely solid great looking piece of kit thats been up and down the country about three times now and still won't work!

Best Regards

Chris

SMEagol, Mar 22, 2009
  6. Bloonose

shrink

i have sent you a PM regarding some japanese kit mate.

shrink, Mar 22, 2009
  7. Bloonose

Bloonose

These machines had a very common problem with the motor which spins the disc, not easily available as its attached to the platter. That's the cause. I 'll look to see if I still have one and will let you know;)

Bloonose, Mar 22, 2009
  8. Bloonose

Bloonose

Don't have one of the original Motor/Platter assy's anymore, but probably have a motor which wiil be able be modified to fit. The spindle will be longer than the original and it just needs to be shortened and fitted to the original platter, did this several times when Teac were out of stock. I'd be very surprised if Teac still supply the original part anyway. Think the VRDS10 was a transport only? or does my memory fail me:eek: Cost should be about £60 to do it. I'd need to see the machine 1st to be certain I had a motor that fitted. Shame you forked out for a laser which was not required.....

Bloonose, Mar 22, 2009
  9. Bloonose

Stumpy343

Hi,

Can you assist please with the following problem on my Alpha MCD CD player?

None of the twin audio outputs appears to work (I have tried several different cables to both an Alpha AV50 and a Yamaha DSP-Z9 amplifier).

The digital output works fine.

Stumpy343, Mar 23, 2009
  10. Bloonose

Bloonose

Have not worked on this machine but the 7,8,and 9 had a common problem where a resistor had to be replaced. Some problems are kind of difficult to diagnose without working on the unit or perhaps something a little older which I'll have fixed in the past. I was an ASC for Arcam but have not worked on any stuff for about 7 yrs. Give Arcam a call or email and they may know right away what the cause is.

Bloonose, Mar 23, 2009
  11. Bloonose

DarrenW

Hi Bloonose

I would be interested in your view on pre amp transformer hum in an air tight ATC1 - when I bought it all was fine but bringing it home and it hums audibly (just) from the other side of the room

I think it may be voltage related (built for 230 and maybe our house is voltage high at 250 or so - haven;t measured it yet but borrowing a meter to do so shortly

any other hypothesis I should be considering?

rgds
    darren

DarrenW, Mar 23, 2009
  12. Bloonose

Bloonose

Transformers need to be replaced when they hum:( If it becomes so loud you can hear it above the music and it will be costly:cry:

Sorry........

Bloonose, Mar 23, 2009
  13. Bloonose

Bloonose

In more than 25yrs of repairing Hifi equpment for a living,I've yet to see a transformer which makes a humming noise from itself be repaired by anything but relacement! Hey but maybe you know better? As BB says You Decide!

Bloonose, Mar 24, 2009
  14. Bloonose

Bloonose

Any further help by me will only be given via PM's to stop other people adding their opinions to a question they were not asked!

So if you have a problem, which you think I might be able to help resolve, please only send me a PM or I won't reply.

Bloonose, Mar 24, 2009
  15. Bloonose

Bloonose

There's always one ejit who cannae keep their gub shut Eh!

Bloonose, Mar 24, 2009
  16. Bloonose

The Devil IHTFP

Is it you?

My Naim transformers give off a very faint hum, and always have done. I don't think they need replacing, though.

The Devil, Mar 24, 2009
  17. Bloonose

SMEagol Because we wants it...

rise above it Bloo, I for one am glad you're here and appreciate the offer of advice. PM's are just fine.

:)

SMEagol, Mar 24, 2009
  18. Bloonose

spica

Seemingly Mr Bloo, Mr Fox *Cum aliis non bene ludet* gives an honest clue as regards his disposition toward others, so dont be too miffed, as there's no reason to be absolute :)

spica, Mar 24, 2009
  19. Bloonose

Bloonose

Think Mr Fox is just an apprentice idiot hoping to become a professional in the very near future. I don't intend to respond to any further ramblings or insults he makes, I'm making no money from the advice given just trying to help. I have years and years of experience actually fixing peoples equipment and been authorised to to so on their behalf by Multinational companies such as Panasonic, JVC, Aiwa to the more esoteric including Arcam and Mission. I wonder what he does in the real world other than annoy other people:SLEEP:

Bloonose, Mar 25, 2009
  20. Bloonose

SCIDB Moderator

Why should he keep his gob shut?

Fox gave some useful info into the problem. Transformers can hum/buzz can be due to a number reasons. Quality of mains is one. DC on the mains can cause it. Other items around the house (or even next doors house) could cause DC onto the mains.

DarrenW did say his pre amp was fine when he bought it and it buzzed loudly at his home. This could point to DC or other interference on the mains.

At the end of the day, Fox is offering a possible solution to problem like you have done.

I have solved buzzing problems without swapping transformers in the past.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Mar 25, 2009
Ask a Question