Faulty MF Ltd products

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Class A, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Class A

Class A

Not sure if anyone here experienced this but a friend of mine sent a MF tri-vista SACD player in for a check up because the LED display don't work. He was later told that the transport was at fault and they cannot repair it since they're no longer avaliable.
    He was then given a option of a new replacement of their current CD player for a sum of £1000. I think this is a cheek from them since the new player retails for only £3k whereas the faulty Tri-vista SACD were £4k.
    Any views on this and what can he do if he dont have the extra cash for the replacement????

Thanks in advance.

Class A, Feb 22, 2008
  2. Class A

stickman

Doesn't the Sale of Goods Act indicate that items should have a "reasonable life expectancy" and that typically, this is 6 years for electrical items.

I believe once out of guarantee, the onus s on the individual to prove it's not due to their misuse, but in this instance it already seems as though MF have admitted liability.

I would have thought they were liable to fix or replace at no cost.

stickman, Feb 22, 2008
  3. Class A

unclepuncle

Have heard about this before - very shoddy.

unclepuncle, Feb 22, 2008
  4. Class A

Class A

They have admitted that there is nothing they can do apart from what they have offered but what if the person don't have the £1000 sitting in their bank account doing nothing????
    I find this very upsetting since even though they want to put things right, they can at least not charge for the cheaper replacement player.

Class A, Feb 22, 2008
  5. Class A

rodrat

faulty MF

Assuming it was bought from a dealer, I would have thought the contract was with them. I would doubt that MF would do anything but refer back to the retailer. If bought secondhand, your friend may be stuffed.

rodrat, Feb 22, 2008
  6. Class A

Class A

He bought it from a dealer back in the days but has since gone bust and no longer trading. I wonder what trading standard would say about this????

Class A, Feb 22, 2008
  7. Class A

kmac

Don't most of these players use a CD-ROM transport? Perhaps you could find out exactly what the transport is i.e. make, model and original manufacturere part number. You may still be able to source one from another cheaper device

kmac, Feb 22, 2008
  8. Class A

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

sacd.....

sq225917, Feb 22, 2008
  9. Class A

Class A

Yes, It's a SACD player ( Tri-Vista) and the transport is a JVC unit which are obsolete. Considering the player is LTD, they should at least keep a spare transport for every unit made ( only 600-800 bloody units ). It has cross my mind if my friend's player is really faulty or they just want to charge the £1000 and keep the player????

Class A, Feb 22, 2008
  10. Class A

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

do they have a current sacd player in the range? ask for one of those if they do

sq225917, Feb 23, 2008
  11. Class A

zanash

get the transports designation then take a look at dalblani.com they doo oem replacment pickups and drives that are pretty good in my experience

zanash, Feb 24, 2008
  12. Class A

alphatoner

The 6 year trading standards rule does not cover your normal everyday faults and failures. To qualify under these rules you would need to prove that their was an inherrent fault in the product.

This claim is always against the manufacturer and not the retailer (the other way round from normal) This is generally only proven when the manufacturer admits the fault ie by doing a recall or if you can show that they changed a part or process to rectify a know problem. In both cases this generally only happens when there have been a significant number of cases of the same failure.

In this instance I would say none of these rules apply and what your talking about is simple component failure which brings it into the normal sale of goods act (1 year) + any additional warranty the manufacturer may offer.

The best bet would be take the offer made (or push for a better one) or try and find your own replacement part. Of course assuming they don't want the old player back as part of the deal you could always do both.

alphatoner, Mar 28, 2008
  13. Class A

Furyous

What £3k player do they want to replace it with? The A1008? Hideous thing.

Surely the KW DM transport/DAC is a more appropriate replacement, has the same £4k RRP and may well be worth the £1k upgrade.

Furyous, Mar 28, 2008
  14. Class A

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

there have been loads of these going pop. search the forums, make a list of examples and use that with trading standards.

do not put up with this shit, just because the mechs are obsolete, so fucking what, that MF's look out not yours.

Replace or repair, nothing less is acceptable. Not a cheaper substitute, let them upgrade him not degrade (sic) him.

i'd start putting the word out on all the forums. this was there top line product, they should treat him like royalty.

something along the lines of.

"Muscial Fidelity warranty scandal!!!!"
    What is the point of buying the top end product from one of Britains susposed best manufacturers when after a year or so it fails in service, a trend i have noticed not to be unique to my player.

My £4k four thousand pound musical fidelity TRIVISTA SACD player is now useless becuase they didn't have the foresight to stock replacement mechs for their top of the rnage SACD player.

They have had the gall to offer me a swap in which i have to pay £1000 to get their current player. What sort of service is this for a luxury hifi product.

If i had known that their prodcut quality was so low i would never have bought the unit. and don't get me started on the quality of service they offer customers of their premium products.

I just hope that anyone considering buying a Supercharger, or 1008A of KW SACD player reads this before the make the same mistake i did.

Their service and warranty ands back up sucks, steer clear."

post that on every forum, after spell checking of course, we all reply lots and lots of time dissing their service and hey presto....

sq225917, Mar 30, 2008
  15. Class A

cooky1257

...Or/and a webpage/blog....
    I have to say though that I for one would never pay £4k for a piece of kit that only carried a 1 yr warranty.
    Musical Fidelity are seriously damaging their brand if this is how they treat their 'royal' not to mention loyal customers.

cooky1257, Mar 31, 2008
  16. Class A

nando nando

THE TRANSPORT ON THE SACD THAT WAS MADE BY PHILIPS IS NO LONGER SUPLIED THEREFORE M.F. ARE OFFERING TO TAKE THE UNIT BACK AND GIVE AN THE NEW 1008 FOR 1200.00, THE ONLY MANUFACTURER ON THEIR OWN DESING IS TEAC ECSOTERIA, F.Y.I. CONTACT ME OR YOUR DEALER,
    regards nando

nando, Mar 31, 2008
  17. Class A

Class A

Thanks guys for the support and advice. In the end I took their A1008 integrated amp because the A1008 CD player looks naff and it doesn't play SACD like the faulty unit. I had to pay for additional of £1200 + my faulty £4K retail player.....no brainer I got done really. Anyway, I since sold it on Fleabay only for £2k so, I only really got £800 for the Tri-Vista.

I will NEVER touch or recommend the brand in question ever again as I think it is a bad/wrong way to trade.

Cheers.

Class A, Apr 1, 2008
  18. Class A

nando nando

" FOR ALL IT'S WORTH" it's a dilema having to go through this when new software technology comes to us via the far east and they have the monopolly as the " pick up and transports" like philips and many other japanese manufacturers who created such devices, the problem as far as i was made to understand regarding the mf sacd cdp's is that philips stopped makinng transports and gears even dual reading double reading lazers, as when sacd first came to be introduced i worked with sony via a retail unit and met all the inventors of this what was supposed to be the new revolution on software format, from the beguining i knew it was going to be a failure, double layer sacd's could not become a market sucess specially at the price "yet another new technollogy" the point that i am trying to get to is most of british manufacturers were at the hands of this people who thought that sacd was a way foward, so do not blame MF OR ANY OTHERS who can no longer get parts or transports from those who have made them and introduce them, financially the british manufacturers have lost a hell of a lot,
    enough said
    nando

nando, Apr 11, 2008
  19. Class A

Dev Moderator

Joseph, you know that the manufacturers pay peanuts for the parts, so they could have bought spares. Alternatively they should be able to replace the faulty player with a newer one of equal or better specifications, which would have cost them a fraction of the retail price. Of course they are not obliged to do so but this sort of gesture builds reputations whereas the way they have reacted will lose them customers.

Dev, Apr 11, 2008
  20. Class A

nando nando

hi dev, they did do a deal with existing owners of the sacd's made by mf to take back their units and give them the kw transport and dac for £1000.00 but having said that parts were no longer available from suppliyers, i personally think that the way the inventors of this formats are to blame as you should know that every day they come out with new ones, and people are "if not" either getting confused and fed up and just give up or go back to the old fashion analogue ,regards nando hope you are well ,

nando, Apr 11, 2008
Ask a Question