Faulty MF Ltd products

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Class A, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Class A

Furyous

If out of warranty, providing a replacement £4k machine for £1k extra isn't particularly unreasonable. Giving £3k trade in value on the old and now completely useless product is actually pretty fair. Having said that, it's not of any use to someone who doesn't have £1k extra to spend, or someone who really wants the SACD functionality - although there is some value to realise from their nackered machine if they pay the £1k and subsequently sell the replacement.

Furthermore, MF (or other manufacturers) not forseeing a problem that you could apparently obviously forsee Joseph, and expanding the problem by using the same unreliable, potentially irreplacable transport in the KW SACD as well as the TriVista was a big mistake. I imagine they had a pile of these transports sitting there from their bulk order and wanted to put them to use - and I bet they probably regret that now. MF had to put in a lot of work to completely reverse their poor reputation on reliability from the 80s and early 90s. This doesn't help much to maintain that reputation - especially as it affects their flagship product.

Furyous, Apr 11, 2008
  2. Class A

nando nando

i agree, but as a fact the reputacion of MF when at a time went the way of unreaiblety of their products i for one know why, i will not mention a particular manufacture witch no longer exists, who were the designers and technitians and went on their own but karma got them, so tedious, but there you go, so far as a ddealer i have a good clientell that not only love their products but are happy with the service they get, still each indevidual has their preferance as to brand and the sound that they preffer but as you say if you go the way digital "new" tech. pushes the british manufactures to go their way and we can do better at the way we reproduce sound but at a higher cost still people will buy suddenlly they stop making parts and transpots, what can you do? who do you blame?
    nando

nando, Apr 12, 2008
  3. Class A

Class A

Nando, you have points which can be in favour for everyone but If you personally were in my situation, I'm sure you might have a different story to tell.
    At the end of the day, £1200 is still alot of money to cough up to replace for something which altermately a cheaper player than the faulty unit.
    I understand MF could had stuck their hands up and wiped them but that would course a bigger stir within their customer relations.
    Anyway, what I didn't tell you guys was that I had to haggle very hard to get it down to £1200 as their initial offer was alot higher telling me that they are upgrading/ down grading me at less than cost....was I born yesterday???? don't think so....

Cheers

Class A, Apr 12, 2008
  4. Class A

nando nando

I Agree With What You Are Saying Totally, Who Did You Deal With As A Matter Of Self Interest? I Think That The Kw25 Transport And Dac Are Far Superior Than The Ty-vista Sacd,if And We Are Living In A Digital Era Upgrades Are As Common As Fashion, Etc. Not Always Better In Sound But Look Great In Digets "!specs" What Can I Say, There Again As I Threaded A Post Of The Price Of Loudspeakers For 75000.00, How Much Do The Drive Units Cost? And How Much Are They Worth To Replace, Mind Bugless,
    Joseph

nando, Apr 12, 2008
  5. Class A

Furyous

Dp

Furyous, Apr 12, 2008
  6. Class A

Furyous

Joseph, it's worth noting here that B&W (a similar company to MF in terms of UK market status) guarantee and stock parts for their 'premium models' (800 series and above) for 25 (yes, TWENTY FIVE) years. I can (hypothetically) get a replacement tweeter in 2025 for a pair of £1400 805 made in 2000, but I can't get a disc drive in 2007/8 for a £4000 Tri-Vista SACD player made in 2005. Why didn't MF keep a stock of spare transports - at least one for each machine produced?! Pure stupidity, and very poor business sense.

Sugden (a much smaller operation than MF) can even replace the TDA 1541 DOUBLE CROWN chip in their Stemfort DAC well over ten years since that chip ceased production and the double crown is now extremely scarce and valuable. Why? Because they had the forsight and good sense to buy up stocks when long term production of OEM parts was uncertain. Instead of paying a high premium to upgrade, a customer can get their totally obsolete machine repaired well out of warranty, for a very reasonable fee. It's called proper forsight and customer consideration. MF obviously thought it was worth pocketing the few £k instead of buying up some extra stock in bulk buy when they heard of the Phillips drive being discontinued.

MF pride themselves on providing VFM, but they have shot themselves in the foot by failing to give a shit about the longevity of premium products. I expect a £4000 CD player to last a lifetime and them some. And it damn well should.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2008
    Furyous, Apr 12, 2008
  7. Class A

lordsummit moderate mod

Joseph I think you need to calm down a little.

Please no more posts like the last one.

lordsummit, Apr 14, 2008
  8. Class A

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

Good posting.

Dynamic Turtle, Apr 15, 2008
  9. Class A

Elberoth

I totally agree. The player is 3 years old, long out of warranty, they could have said - as some companies do - sorry, the drive is discontinued, and we are unable to repair your out of warranty player. Instead they offered him their brand new player for 1/3 of retail !

Try that with any of the US manufacturers !

Elberoth, Apr 20, 2008
Ask a Question