For BMW lovers everywhere

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Dev, Jul 6, 2004.

1. Dev

Dev Moderator

Dev, Jul 6, 2004
  2. Dev

Robbo

Top engine, shame the car is so f*cking ugly. but you knew I would say that, didnt you!

Robbo, Jul 6, 2004
  3. Dev

Dev Moderator

I quite like it, but never mind Robbo, there's always the CSL. Did you enjoy the soundtrack? I can only imagine what it'd sound like on Merlin's big speakers ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2004
    Dev, Jul 6, 2004
  4. Dev

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

*drowns in own drool

I-S, Jul 6, 2004
  5. Dev

Sgt Rock

Nice use of flash, I'm not sayiing any more ;)

Sgt Rock, Jul 6, 2004
  6. Dev

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Isnt the soundtrack supposed to be off Prodigy's new album, due to come out later this year?

PBirkett, Jul 6, 2004
  7. Dev

lordsummit moderate mod

Dont' know but it sounds pretty good doesn't it

lordsummit, Jul 6, 2004
  8. Dev

julian2002 Muper Soderator

hmm,
    f*ck ugly car with a decent engine, an auto gearbox some blurry graphics and some nice tunes. sorry it's still a bmw. :chunder:
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jul 6, 2004
  9. Dev

Dev Moderator

Cheers Julian, predictable as ever :p

I thought you hated BMW drivers rather than cars. Still whatever floats your boat mate.

Dev, Jul 7, 2004
  10. Dev

GTM Resistance IS Futile !

I think the new look BMWs are pig ugly personally. I think they will date very quickly indeed.

I'm considering replacing my ageing Clio. I want something with better roadholding and more oomph.

I actually considered a BMW 323 Coupe. I was quite surprised at how "reasonable" the insurance was, considering it is a 2.5

Things that have put me off are:

It's too big, too expensive s/h (8k - for the year/mileage im after), and isn't as reliable as a lot of people think.

Sure the engine is bullet proof but the little things that go wrong on BMWs are very expensive to fix. A look at the "Duffers" reported to the Topgear website shows that they go wrong as often as any other car. That and the longish list of recalls that you'd have to check had been done to the car and I was just put off. What it boils down to, is BMWs are just too complicated. Full of needless engine managment systems etc. All of which are non-fixable and have to be replaced at great expense. Also, it isn't safe to use pattern parts like it is on a lot of other marques. Though with other marques you aren't so tempted to do so because original parts don't cost an arm, a leg and a couple of private parts to buy.

So now my options are between a Pug 306 GTI and an Audi A3 1.8T. Both the same insurance, size and overall performance.

Choice boils down to

Pug = Cheaper, better handling/more involving to drive, but not so refined and horrid seat covers !

Audi = About 1-2k more, higher quality interior, better refinement, but not such a good drivers car.

I'm torn between the two :confused:

I think I'll have to drive them both to see which I want.

GTM

GTM, Jul 7, 2004
  11. Dev

julian2002 Muper Soderator

dev,
    i think it would be truer to say that i hate bmw's image. however the 5 & 7 series are truly ugly cars and the 3 is catching up fast. some of the drivers buy into that image totally and some don't so i can't say i hate ALL bmw drivers (you and michael seem ok - dunno about bub though ;) ).
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jul 7, 2004
  12. Dev

Dev Moderator

Julian, I also hate the image that BMW and other cars have. Before I opted for the BMW, I test drove a C class Mercedes, Alfa Romeo 156 and Audi A4. Surprisingly the Merc and BMW were very close, but I found the BMW straight 6 simply fantastic :D

To be honest, I've admired BMWs ever since a friend of mine gave me a lift in a 520i over 25 years ago. They weren't so common then, it's just taken me so long to get to own one.

GTM, I know about 10 BMW owners and not one has any more problems with their cars than other makes (touch wood), you know what they say about statistics. I agree that if something does fail in these, it's likely to cost more. I suppose s/h BMWs are more likely to be abused than certain other makes.

Dev, Jul 7, 2004
  13. Dev

Dev Moderator

Question, why does thread clearly titled for BMW lovers attract so many critics? :D

Dev, Jul 7, 2004
  14. Dev

The Devil IHTFP

Jealousy.

The Devil, Jul 7, 2004
  15. Dev

That was my point really. Cost of ownership is potentially a lot higher for a BMW than a lot of other marques. ie the same amount of problems on a BMW as on a French/Japanese/Italian car will cost you more. At the end of the day that is what matters. There is little point having a "quality" car that costs just as much to repair than a "lesser" marque. Unless of course you buy a car primarily for its image. IMHO of course. At least BMWs have the saving grace that they are good drivers cars. Most other "quality" cars are just all look and no go, especially in the handling dept.

I think BMWs draw critism because the media will have you believe they, (and all German cars in general), are vastly superior to other manufacturers. I'd accept if they just said.. oh look don't they look good and doesn't it feel nice to have a feeling of quality. But that's not what they say. They say Merc/BMW/Audi etc are better built/more reliable etc than say a Japanese car. When quite patently this is not the case. Sure a Jap car may feel less well built because it's more plasticy, lighter in construction etc. But it will last just as long as any German car.

btw - What did you think of the 156 ?? That's another car on my potential list. Though it's a touch on the large size.

GTM

GTM, Jul 7, 2004
  16. Dev

The Devil IHTFP

Well, I've owned my Beemer for over 4 years now, it's an eight year old car with 85k on the clock, and not a single squeak, rattle or any other unwanted noise in the cabin. The build quality is second to none, and it still drives like a new car. The only problem I've had was an ignition barrel, and that was fixed under warranty. Consumables and servicing is considerably cheaper than for my previous Saab.

The only reason I might change it is to get an even faster one.

The straight six motor is the jewel in the crown, with fantastic linear power delivery.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2004
    The Devil, Jul 7, 2004
  17. Dev

oh yes ... that must be it .. how silly of me.

Considering that BMWs are 2 a penny round my way and are generally considered to be "the wifes" car, I don't think jealousy has anything to do with it. Now if you were to say I was jealous of someone who owned an Aston Martin or a TVR you might have a point.

Actually, I think the BMWs image is a big factor as to why some people are reluctant to buy one. They're equally considered to be the rich middle class guys "wifes" car, asshole rep motorway cruiser or drug dealers car. Alternatively it's the "working class guys" aspirational car. Shows he's made something of himself, and wants to tell the world about it. None of which are images I personaly aspire to. To be honest I don't really understand why BMWs are so aspirational. To me they are rather staid and conventional looking, (at least until now they were). I must boil down to the fact that they are more expensive than average, but actually not by that much. So they are an acheivable "dream car" for. A bit like Audi really. But not like Porches, Ferraris or Aston Martins which 99% of people will never be able to afford.

GTM

GTM, Jul 7, 2004
  18. Dev

PBirkett VTEC Addict

I must be somewhat unique on this forum as someone who does not own a BMW, but actually LIKES them! :eek: I even let them out from junctions and on motorways. People criticise their drivers too, because they want to make good progress on motorways and dont like people who deliberately get in the way.... WELL, GET A CLUE, IF YOU WERENT HOGGING THE DAMN FAST LANE AT 60 MPH, PEOPLE WOULDNT TAILGATE YOU NOW WOULD THEY!!!

BTW, I exclude the new 1-series, the X-series and the Mini from my list of BMW's that I like as they all suck.

PBirkett, Jul 7, 2004
  19. Dev

Dev Moderator

Lovely car really, gorgeus engine noise, but the dealer just didn't seem interested. I turned up for the test drive at the agreed time but he was too busy and couldn't go with me for the drive. He took my cars keys and gave me the keys to his 156 (yes his own company car). It was a good drive but the lack of interest from the dealer put me off, not just at the test drive! I mean if they can't be bothered to make a sale then what sort of service can I expect afterwards?

Dev, Jul 7, 2004
  20. Dev

The Devil IHTFP

Hi GTM,

I think the four-cylinder BMW cars are a waste of time, also the 4x4 they make. The Z3 is a bit pansy, and I don't like the current styling departure on the 5, 6 and 7.

They are my 'dream car' because they offer practical reliable performance, are great fun to drive and are anything but flashy.

The Devil, Jul 7, 2004
Ask a Question