HiFi Show for forum members to show off their kit.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by HiFiWigWam, Nov 18, 2008.

1. HiFiWigWam

HiFiWigWam Number 6

The Chester Group (organizers of the Heathrow HiFi show) have approached me with the idea of putting on a HiFi show for enthusiasts to show off their own systems. I have said that HiFI wigwam and the members would be keen to be part of it, I hope you will show support here for the idea also.

Discussions with Chester have resulted in the following broad outline plan:

A one day event. (to keep costs/risk low - this will mean an early start and a late finish for exhibitors).
    For Forum members (the analogy being a Classic car show type event).
    Maybe some scope for commercial interest (this will keep entry fees low and therefore encourage more visitors.)
    Principle income for Chester Group will be from the gate.
    In the Midlands (for the largest catchment)
    Probably in "low season" to keep costs down.
    We will focus on providing good quality rooms, rather than large sized rooms.So concrete and solid walls/ceiling being key.
    The moderators will decide which systems go forward.
    Minimum number of exhibitors to be 45.

I hope that you see this as exciting a prospect as I do, and I sincerely hope that the chance for the mother of all bake offs gets you all excited enough to help make this happen.

Commercially, Chester Group will be taking all the risk, and therefore taking any profits. For us, well we all have a great day out, get some great exposure for the forum (and any other forums that get involved).

Look forward to hearing everyones thoughts. Please keep it positive, please do not use this thread to moan about other events. The Chester Group will protect their existing business first. So let's remember that if we want this to happen we need to keep them on-side.

Threads are running on the WigWam and at PFM and soon at the Cross over network.

I can't stress how important it is to keep these threads positive for those of us that want it to happen. Lets remember that Chester group have existing customers and they don't want these threads to turn into a moan fest / bun fight about other events they put on.

Anyway, hope you are all up for it. If so, could the admin here please send an email to james at hifiwigwam dot com, I will then forward all of the background info.

Hi James, I've edited your email address to stop you getting spammed. I hope it's OK, Dev

HiFiWigWam, Nov 18, 2008
  2. HiFiWigWam

Dev Moderator

Hi James,

We had a discussion on this forum about the same idea a while ago. There was some positive feedback but eventually the thread died out. I hope with other forums running this thread as well, it'll generate greater enthusiasm.

Dev, Nov 18, 2008
  3. HiFiWigWam

lbr monkey boy

Fan-bloody-tastic idea, sounds like a good craic

lbr, Nov 18, 2008
  4. HiFiWigWam

lordsummit moderate mod

Zerogain had the same mail! Perhaps we should start a thread where people suggest what they'd like to offer.

lordsummit, Nov 18, 2008
  5. HiFiWigWam

HiFiWigWam Number 6

Good stuff!

Ok, LordSummit, could you email me, as there is an important rider to the whole deal that you need to be aware of before starting a thread.

Regards,
    James.

HiFiWigWam, Nov 18, 2008
  6. HiFiWigWam

Graffoeman

Ditto. Great idea.

Graffoeman, Nov 18, 2008
  7. HiFiWigWam

Dev Moderator

So, how many people here would be willing to unplug their pride and joy, lug it to a hotel room in the Midlands, set it up and then transport it back after the show?

I'm wondering whether transport itself will be an issue, not to mention all the unplugging/setting up. Not trying to be negative, genuine question. I think the thread I was referring to earlier was about hiring a room at the normal HiFi show and putting together a HiFi system that sounds great even within the confines of the room. This is a somewhat different proposition.

Dev, Nov 18, 2008
  8. HiFiWigWam

SMEagol Because we wants it...

...I'd rather not witness the public humiliation of my system next to one who's owner probably collects Bugatti's for a hobby,
    who probably doesn't even appreciate the subtleties of good playback on a modest budget as much as me.

I couldn't see the myth shattered that mine sounds great, its not for public appraisal! This could easily get very showy offy.

SMEagol, Nov 18, 2008
  9. HiFiWigWam

Dev Moderator

Perish the though SMEagol. Money doesn't guarantee a good system:D. Quite often at shows a relatively cheap system outperforms systems costing several times more.

Dev, Nov 18, 2008
  10. HiFiWigWam

SMEagol Because we wants it...

If I carry on downgrading at this rate in the current climate, by the time of the show all I'll have is a Dansette!

SMEagol, Nov 18, 2008
  11. HiFiWigWam

lbr monkey boy

To be honest, I'm nowhere near as enthused about that prospect as I am about a pleasant day out listening to other folks' kit.

lbr, Nov 18, 2008
  12. HiFiWigWam

andyoz

My Bose sub/sat system is nice and portable so I'll see you all there...

andyoz, Nov 18, 2008
  13. HiFiWigWam

Tenson Moderator

As a small manufacturer I quite like the idea of exhibiting at minimum cost, but I'm not 100% convinced that it would be worth the effort yet. For people who don't have a financial bias, I guess the reason to exhibit is just to share your joy with others and help promote the hi-fi industry in a gloomy time.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2008
    Tenson, Nov 19, 2008
  14. HiFiWigWam

mr cat Member of the month

my understanding is that it's a non commercial event...i.e. enthusiasts only... :)

mr cat, Nov 19, 2008
  15. HiFiWigWam

lordsummit moderate mod

Point 1, as I understand it, it is for enthusiasts to show off their kit, not a marketing opportunity.
    Point 2, I've sent James my email, I've not had a response yet. So I couldn't possibly comment.
    Point 3, I can't see Chester communications doing this for love rather than money, someone will have to pay somewhere.... I'm concerned commercial realities may hinder the enterprise.

lordsummit, Nov 19, 2008
  16. HiFiWigWam

HiFiWigWam Number 6

Will get back to you after work.

Cheers,
    James.

HiFiWigWam, Nov 19, 2008
  17. HiFiWigWam

YNMOAN Trade - AudioFlat

I have been encouraged in the past to take my turntable to shows, and to be quite honest, I do quite fancy the idea. However, I would have to rent a van to get my system there and the very thought of dismantling my uber carefuly set up rig fills me with dread. Still - it might be worh it - I am lucky (very lucky) enough to have a few Hi-Fi friends who could probably be persuaded to help me.

YNMOAN, Nov 19, 2008
  18. HiFiWigWam

The Devil IHTFP

If Hell existed, it would be pretty similar to this proposed event.

The Devil, Nov 19, 2008
  19. HiFiWigWam

YNMOAN Trade - AudioFlat

Hmm... hell for those exhibiting, quite likely.

What do you mean IF hell existed - I've been a teacher, I've seen Hell.

YNMOAN, Nov 19, 2008
  20. HiFiWigWam

mr cat Member of the month

it's funny that only a certain bunch of people have bitched about this - say more about them imo.. ;)

mr cat, Nov 19, 2008
Ask a Question