More fun with religion

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by The Devil, May 25, 2009.

1. The Devil

The Devil IHTFP

The Devil, May 25, 2009
  2. The Devil

zygote23

Have a look on the BBC N. I. site for Iris Robinson's comments re: Government upholding God's Law or her radio tirade against Gay people.

And she is the wife of the first minister. How she got away with her comments last year let alone her recent 30K food expenses is 'Gods own sweet mystery' lol.

zygote23, May 25, 2009
  3. The Devil

The Devil IHTFP

Interpreting god's law is always fun.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/ni/2008/07/should_the_government_implemen.html

The Devil, May 25, 2009
  4. The Devil

Mr_Sukebe

Just so I understand. Are you suggesting that religion itself is bad news, or just that the misuse and abuse of religion is the issue?

Mr_Sukebe, May 25, 2009
  5. The Devil

The Devil IHTFP

My opinion is that it is a load of old cobblers, and leads to nothing but misery. IOW, bad news.

The Devil, May 25, 2009
  6. The Devil

lAmBoY Lothario and Libertine

Like the pope telling africa not to use contraception. Or is the Pope not the voice of god anymore? Maybe you think he is missusing religion?

I bet he laughed at the fantastic movie 'team america' and the west end show song 'AIDS'. (that movie cracks me up every time:))

lAmBoY, May 25, 2009
  7. The Devil

dragonwhip

Usually I avoid arguments about religion since the parties on both sides tend to be rather dogmatic about their own views, but this time I'll bite (and I bite hard). Was any pope ever "the voice of god"? Are we purposely ignoring the centuries of corruption, violence, oppression, outright murder, greed, hypocrisy, mutilation not to mention the laughable notion of any omnipetent being actually existing. What about the rediculous notion that someone flopping down on their knees to ask for gods' help in winning this football game or some other such silly act is actually going to accomplish something? I may not be a Marxist, but Karl Marx was correct about religion being the opiate of the masses. People tend to look for easy ways out of whatever they have screwed up in the first place, a magic pill to take care of what humans should have taken care of to begin with. Needless to say, I hate all religion. Consider, people of all religions pray to the god of their choice in the belief that this god of theirs listens to only those who profess to adhere to "the one true faith" (whatever the prayer adheres to) thinking "righteously" that everyone else will suffer for eternity for not doing so. The problem with this is that many of these people are actually probably pretty sure that they are right and everyone else is wrong. No matter who you are someone else thinks your religion is untrue and is a tool of "the devil" but you think you are right and righteous. Well, the guy next to you thinks the same thing about himself, and so does the guy next to him, and so on. So who's right? I say none of you. No matter the religion, I can only view it as being the mythology of fools, and have thought this since I was a small child. One thing I can't help but laugh about is the notice that religious tend to be the most frightened of dying. You'd think that they would be more than glad to meet this god of theirs, but they tend to be the ones who want their 97 year old grandma kept alive artificially because they can't face death without fear. Ignorance plays a lrge role in this; the simpleminded tend to be easily swayed by magic pill therapy, regardless of it's origin. Religion plays right into this way of thinking sweeping the foolish off their feet and making them feel superior in their own minds for having done so. Suckers! Hee hee!:D

dragonwhip, May 26, 2009
  8. The Devil

dragonwhip - did you assume I was catholic or something? My comment about the Pope was regarding the AIDS problem in Africa and that his comments on contraception would only make things worse. A real life recent event of religion being a holy (sic) negative force.

or were you just rambling in general - you should look up a few of the atheist discussions on this forum (hint, look for the devils posts).

lAmBoY, May 26, 2009
  9. The Devil

The Devil IHTFP

The Devil, May 28, 2009
  10. The Devil

spica

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2009
    spica, May 28, 2009
  11. The Devil

The Devil IHTFP

The Devil, May 28, 2009
  12. The Devil

spica

How very weak of you ... surprise yourself, take a guess.

spica, May 28, 2009
  13. The Devil

lAmBoY, May 28, 2009
  14. The Devil

spica

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2009
    spica, May 28, 2009
  15. The Devil

The Devil IHTFP

I give up, what religious belief did they have? And why is that relevent?

The Devil, May 29, 2009
  16. The Devil

I can see your angle.

lAmBoY, May 29, 2009
  17. The Devil

The Devil IHTFP

The Second Coming is written in the Scriptures, and here he is, at last. The Lord of Toast.

The Devil, May 29, 2009
  18. The Devil

dragonwhip

iamboy, you came off as a supporter of catholicism, and by extension, the pope. If you are not, I apoligize. I looked at your post again, and it's actually quite difficult to tell if you are being facetious or you actually think this pope cat is something to be listened to. Notice I refuse to capitolize pope. I loathe religion in principle, and catholicism in particular. What a horrifyingly closed minded religion it has shown itself to be, far worse than even islam. I prefer to think freely and objectively.

P.S. I had to edit this post because I actually managed to misspell islam. What a dork!

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2009
    dragonwhip, May 29, 2009
  19. The Devil

nope i am a devout atheist:) although I do appreciate some of the positives that religion brings on the whole I am not a supporter.

lAmBoY, May 29, 2009
  20. The Devil

jadelee

I'm an atheist too. Or just extremely sceptic person, don't know for sure :MILD:

jadelee, Jun 12, 2009
Ask a Question