My DMT 15 Cabinets

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by Dev, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Dev

Tenson Moderator

How did you select the port size? It's worth doing a simulation to get the best from it, if you haven't.

They do look very well made, you should be proud. Do you plan to veneer?

If you can get a big enough strong plastic bag to hold the speaker, I have a vacuum pump you can borrow to vacuum clamp the things for a really good veneer bond.

Tenson, Jan 6, 2014
  2. Dev

Dev Moderator

It's the Luxman driving the DMTs. I'd welcome you to take a look at the Luxman. Let me know when you're free and we can sort something out.

The port size was suggested by Cooky. I don't have the means to do any simulation. Now it may be too late anyway, since it's glued together.

Thanks for your comments. I'm pleased with them. I had a few issues (the most frustrating one was with the T-nuts) but on the whole I like the way they turned out. I don't plan on veneering them. In spring/summer I plan to sand them and stain/varnish them, with mixed feelings, because I quite like the way they look but all other wood furniture in the room (the whole house actually) is dark wood.

Dev, Jan 6, 2014
  3. Dev

Andy 831

Chances are it will be spot on then, there is not much Cooky does not know about Tannoys.

Andy 831, Jan 6, 2014
  4. Dev

Dev Moderator

Yup, he's my guiding light:).

Dev, Jan 6, 2014
  5. Dev

kennyjackson

Superb job, they look really nicely braced. I really need to find someone to make me something better to keep my 15" Golds in.

kennyjackson, Jan 18, 2014
  6. Dev

speedy.steve

Not been here for a while and missed this thread!

Great job there! Look really good.

I enjoyed 12" DMT's many moons ago so 15" must be well worth the effort.

speedy.steve, Feb 16, 2014
  7. Dev

nortonl

Fantastic job Dev. You are tempting me to make some floor standing cabs for the DMT12s I bought recently...

The Tannoy DMTs were made like this at the factory. The user manual says when refitting the driver to Locate the piece of damping material which was pressed between the rear of the HF magnet and the cabinet crossbrace during manufacture. Roll it into a ball and press it onto the centre of the cabinet crossbrace. Not sure if they still sell it, but the Tannoy part no. is 1411 0071.

nortonl, Jun 28, 2014
Ask a Question