Shostakovich 24 preludes and fugues OP87

Discussion in 'Classical Music' started by alby, Nov 26, 2006.

1. alby

alby Its good enough for Jazz!

I heard the Keith Jarret recording last night , enjoyable but rather shrouded by a poor hi fi system with speakers hidden behind pot plants , I would like to try to get a copy but is the Keith Jarrett recording as good as the reviews say or where they just excited by the thought of "popular Jazz pianist crossing the void".

alby, Nov 26, 2006
  2. alby

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

I have heard bits of Keith Jarret's but preferred Vladimir Ashkenazy by quite a long way.

Tatiana Nikolayeva (who played them for the composer while he was still writing them) recorded them at least twice, the later Hyperion recording was massivley hyped when it was released but Ashkenazy better IMO. There is an earlier recording by Nikolayeva on not sure what label, have heard good things said about it. But the Vladimir Ashkenazy recording is very good and should be easily avalable.

alanbeeb, Nov 26, 2006
  3. alby

Herman

The Ashkenazy recording was vastly hyped; like most of what V.A. has been doing post-1990 (desperately looking for material he hasn't recorded repeatedly yet) it's not terribly good.

The Melodiya Nikoleyeva is the best complete. I have to say, though, I do not find it the most gripping DSCH. His most thrilling piano solo piece is the 2nd sonata.

Herman, Nov 30, 2006
  4. alby

bat Connoisseur Par Excelence

How about Olli Mustonen's recording?

bat, Nov 30, 2006
  5. alby

Has he recorded them? I know he did the Preludes op.34 but wasn't aware he'd done the Preludes & Fugues op.87.

alanbeeb, Nov 30, 2006
  6. alby

bat Connoisseur Par Excelence

bat, Nov 30, 2006
  7. alby

JANDL100

There is some fantastically wonderful music to be found here.
    All this is very subjective of course, but here's my take on the 24 ...

Jarrett hasn't got a clue
    Ashkenazy needs to formulate an interpretation
    Russian guy on Naxos is pretty bland
    Not heard Mustonen, but he's often self indulgent
    Nikoleyava is great on Melodiya/Regis
    Nikoleyava is supreme on Hyperion.

There you go - now you know !! :MILD:

JANDL100, Nov 30, 2006
  8. alby

Thanks, Nikoleyava on Hyperion seems to be the best bet , I shall hunt it down , or ask santa for it.

Alby

alby, Nov 30, 2006
  9. alby

JANDL100

Gosh! - someone's being influenced by my opinion!! :confused:

I think I'd like to expand on my views so you can make the best choice for your own tastes.

I'll stick with Nikoleyava. I really do think she's the best. But the 2 recordings (Regis/Hyperion) really are quite different - you wouldn't necessarily recognise they are by the same interpreter.

The Melodiya/Regis is more austere and impersonal. I would call it aloof and uninvolved, but that is probably only in comparison to the Hyperion. But many folks like that style of playing (cf. Brendel and (too!!) many others). It is also cheap, being on the Regis bargain label these days.

It's also fair to point out that the Melodiya/Regis version is the one that many of the Great & Good in professional reviewing circles choose (e.g. Penguin Guide where they give a Rosette).

But, but, but ..... for me (but perhaps not for you) the later, Hyperion recording has a sense of flow and even spiritual majesty that her earlier recording lacks. For me there is no contest, but I have to acknowledge that I am probably in the minority here. I have tried, and still own it, but I really don't see what the fuss is about with the earlier recording.

Also, the Hyperion sound quality is a little diffuse - the Regis is sharply focussed and clear in comparison, although a bit "clattery" and occasionally just slightly distorted on peaks in typical Melodiya fashion.

Anyway, that's my take - either way you have some of the greatest piano music of the 20thC here! So enjoy.

JANDL100, Dec 1, 2006
  10. alby

Hi Yes, it was a bit of your influence , but I also came across various positive reviews on other sites and the other hyperion CDs I have are good , I am buying this because somehow I have managed not to have any shostakovich in my ( not very extensive) collection and having heard the Jarret I though that was an oversight.

Thanks

Alby

alby, Dec 1, 2006
  11. alby

JANDL100

An oversight? I couldn't agree more!

You should also try Shostakovich's Piano Trio No. 2 and his Piano Quintet.

Wonderful, wonderful music!

.... also, his 1st Violin Concerto and 1st Cello concerto and symphonies 5, 8 & 10 (for starters) and and and .... well, you can take the search and discovery on for yourself after that!

You may have gathered by now that I think Shostakovich's music is rather good .... ;)

JANDL100, Dec 1, 2006
  12. alby

Well I wrote a letter to Santa and he delivered me the Nikolayeva on Regis and it has taken me until today to get to listen to it properly , It is a fine "precise" recording and I am enjoying it very much.:)

Thanks

Alby

alby, Dec 31, 2006
  13. alby

JANDL100

Aha ! - so you weren't greatly influenced by my opinion after all!

Enjoy the music! ... and HNY :)

JANDL100, Dec 31, 2006
  14. alby

It all came down to price, the Regis was less than of a third of the price of the Hyperion , and is great value for money.

alby, Jan 4, 2007
  15. alby

kenneth cooke

Shostakovich 24 preludes and fugues OP87 Reply

Yes the Keith Jarrett performance is superb but then any combination of Manfred Eicher's production on ECM usually is. Check out Jarretts Well Tempered Clavier Book One and Two. And don't miss out on his solo improvisational performances on albums like Koln Concert- Sun Bear Concerts. There again beautifully produced by Manfred Eicher on ECM. Have you heard Jarrett's Mozart Piano Concerto's and his Double Concerto with Chick Corea, now that is really special. And interestingly you can still buy most of these recordings on vinyl LP through www.ecmrecords.com

kenneth cooke, Apr 3, 2007
  16. alby

lordsummit moderate mod

Jarrets WTC is genuinely awful. Having heard some of it recently the only thing that crossed my mind was that he should stick to what he knows best.

lordsummit, Apr 3, 2007
  17. alby

kenneth cooke

Jarrett WTC

Maybe that is why he won Grammies for both his ECM and his ECM New Series Recordings. It is good to communicate with so many knowledgeable people

kenneth cooke, Apr 3, 2007
  18. alby

lordsummit moderate mod

A grammy is no sign of prowess. There's a whole thread on the WTC here. You could maybe read it and you'll see I'm not alone in my opinions.

lordsummit, Apr 3, 2007
  19. alby

Kenneth - every post by you seems to be promoting ECM recordings? Are you connected with them in some way?

alanbeeb, Apr 3, 2007
  20. alby

kenneth cooke

Ecm

In a word no, but spiritually, maybe. I first became very interested in the label back in the mid 70's. The appeal was Manfred Eichers attention to detail and the way that a gathering of disparate musicians can can be mixed and matched by him to produce some interesting projects that have become genre defining. I like the minimalistic art work and believe that some of the best sound engineers in the industry work almost exclusively on ECM projects. The label has a catalogue of over 750 titles 40% of which are still available on vinyl LP. Second hand ECM hold their value as by and large those buyers attracted to the label lavish the same care and attention on them that ME did at conception. I guess I have bought about 300 titles s/h. I have never found a fault or damage with any of them.Of the new albums I have bought which will also be close to 250 I have only had to return one album due to warping.

Of my other loves- Winter & Winter gmbh also rank up there with ECM IMHO but are let down a little by the damage caused by the arty packaging. I have spoken to Stephan Winter to see if it was possible to buy his product in standard jewel cases but no, it is not. Also in my loves list is the German Hat Now label distributed in the UK by Harmonia Mundi.

Favourite composers- not in order JS Bach- Morton Feldman-Edgar Frosse.

Most disliked- People who pontificate on discussion forums and make sweeping unfounded statements on subjects they have little understanding of. I am asuming no one listens to them at home so they feel oblidged to bore us to death with finite detail on subjects like music which opperates on so many spiritual levels.

I am also not a fan of Jan Garbarek, ECM's longest contracted musician, but having said that I would not dream of attempting to rubbish him on a group like this. As a musican myself, sadly now retired, I was interested to see someone taking legal action against one of these so called dirt dishers who frequent discussion forums. And the musicians union have said that he has a good case, so, dirt disher beware.

kenneth cooke, Apr 4, 2007
Ask a Question