transport for derek shek nos-dac

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Hodgesaargh, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Hodgesaargh

leo

Thanks Jon:)

Is this the reg your using Pete http://www.lcaudio.com/dcreg.gif
    Would this circuit be ok with all that capacitance on the output:confused: looking at the NOS dac it seems to use quite a few what look like BC 136 ultra low ESR caps, not sure if that could cause it any probs, seems odd why they keep burning out

leo, Mar 10, 2006
  2. Hodgesaargh

zanash

Yes thats the one. I even confirmed the layout and wiring with LC audio after the first reg went belly up. There not cheap either £50 a pop, but they have sent replacment boards for those returned.

The only thing is a overheating issue , certainly one of the reg boards looked scorched around the mosfets. Though the case was not ventilated ...one board went awol on the test bench with plenty of air circulating.

I would not have thought there would have been a cap problem with the nos it doesn't have too much [IMO] and low esr caps tend to be of higher quality. My only concern was if the NOS was over running the power supply but this appears not to be the case.

The downside of all this is that I don't posses the NOS dac so the psu had been posted up and down the country ...though again I doubt if the traveling played any part in there demise.

zanash, Mar 10, 2006
  3. Hodgesaargh

Smithy

I have two transports ,a Teac p700 and a NEC 602 cd rom drive to play with ,the Multispin can be picked up very cheaply,is it worth changing power supplies reclocking etc for use with the D SHEK?

Smithy, Mar 10, 2006
  4. Hodgesaargh

zanash

Just remembered on unit fried itself supplying 6v to a da-1 dab radio so its not just the nos that I've had problems with.

zanash, Mar 10, 2006
  5. Hodgesaargh

leo

I've used ALW SR's in various pieces of kit and they are very good, fairly cheap and never had one fail either, I think they are current limited by the pre reg so should easily power a NOS dac
    Only reason I thought of the low (should have said low impedance) caps is that they can cause stabillity problems on the regs output but if you've had problems powering another unit with them...I wouldn't bother with the LC audio ones then Pete, they sound like more trouble than they are worth which is a shame if they sound good when working:(

On the subject of regulators what other good easily available regs are there worth trying? I'm sure WM has some good recommendations:)
    Anybody tried Guido tents shunt regs?

leo, Mar 10, 2006
  6. Hodgesaargh

Hodgesaargh

I'm not sure my Rotel has a CDM4 drawer, It's the old phillips CDM-12 I think.

Hodgesaargh, Mar 11, 2006
  7. Hodgesaargh

zanash

Which I think is the route I'll be taking....

zanash, Mar 11, 2006
Ask a Question