Why do you visit audio forums?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by RobHolt, Sep 19, 2010.

1. RobHolt

nat8808

Haha!

Well, that discounts most of all of human philosophy over the millennia as being 'worthless' .

Also discounts all scientific theory too as being worthless, just before trying to get funding to provide that evidence. Or more importantly NOT find that evidence.

Unsupported opinions are the seeds of innovation!!

nat8808, Oct 21, 2010
  2. RobHolt

nat8808

External to what? External to conciousness? Are you stating as fact that conciousness and the body or conciousness and sense organs are one and the same? Even conciousness and brain function?

That is still up for discussion in both scientific and philosophical worlds.

Sense information and associated organs can rightly be thought of as external to concious understanding of those very senses. Therefore it is right to be able to speak of having 'faith' in those senses in your terms of the word if that's how you understand the world.

In other words, arguing over semantics is surely irrelevant and just bickering..

nat8808, Oct 21, 2010
  3. RobHolt

nat8808

To answer the OP, I visit forums for info on older gear, people's opinions on what gear gives what kind of sound.

Often, I follow people's philosophies on the sound they like and copy a little on the equipment they use or talk about.

Otherwise there's a little of enjoying chipping in on threads like this where there are silly arguments going on (but ultimately feel afterwards that I've just wasted my precious time!) and a little check out what's for sale or selling something of my own.

Always interesting to read DIY threads too to get a better understanding of all the different theories out there and how to save money and be aware of the crazy mark-ups (and out right cons) of many big label manufactures out there.

nat8808, Oct 21, 2010
  4. RobHolt

Fnuckle Trade

No, they can also be called hypotheses. And the inability to recognise the value of such things is what's crushing the life out of this business.

Establish a hypothesis, build experiments to test that hypothesis and if they demonstrate the hypothesis has validity, form a theory out of that.

However, currently the reaction from the no-nothings is 'establish a hypothesis, insist it is shoe-horned into existing experiments, then reject that hypothesis because it didn't adhere to established experiments and therefore might upset the status quo.' Who cares that the established experiment is based on a discredited food-science test developed to convince people that saccharine and sugar tasted the same? It's sciency.

Fnuckle, Oct 21, 2010
  5. RobHolt

Richard Dunn

So why are you doing it :rolleyes:

Richard Dunn, Oct 21, 2010
  6. RobHolt

nat8808

I would agree with that myself.

Just because you act on your opinions by actually making equipment doesn't mean that your opinions are then suddenly biased towards the promotion of that gear - it can be completely the opposite way around!

Your gear is an extension (and perhaps validation as people buy it and like the sound) as well as a statement of the strength of your opinions in that area.

Ok, perhaps that Ivor bloke and others have previously discredited the integrity of manufacturers in the hifi industry by seemingly creating hifi opinion/philosophy after the fact of their gear but not everyone should be tainted by that.

Surely in fact the more genuine, sincere ones are going to look more like they are just pushing marketing BS simply because the real marketing BSers seek to mimic real enthusiasm and opinion!

Whether one marks someone out as pushing marketing BS to sell their products or whether you feel it is genuine opinion and philosophy behind the product is entirely down to the mindset and past experiences of the observer. It says much about the critic and little about the subject.

If we want to be paranoid, how do we know there aren't people not disclosing their trade links trying to purposely propogate foo opinions of rival companies? Should they get banned on forums too?

Could QED be sponsoring threads bashing high-end cables? Certainly would work very well as people are turned towards cheap and cheerful cables instead.

nat8808, Oct 21, 2010
  7. RobHolt

nat8808

:zzzz: No need to be quick to argue with my posts.. being quick to argue is quite boring (that goes for all of you doing it!).

I was making the point that it can be seen both ways, you two have different ideas of the word "faith". I was playing devils advocate to your statement. You can take it as deep as you like (oo-er!) and still not get an answer.

You also appear, like probably 50% of the world, to be someone who's feelings and senses are indisputably true and not even a question of faith. In many ways that is correct.

However, the other 50% of the world are more internally analytical and separate these feelings from their thought processes.

There are advantages to both ways of your brain being wired.

Those who take their feelings and senses to be absolute truth are more likely to act on their thoughts, become political leaders, manufacture hifi gear off the back of the audio and electronics opinions etc etc

Those who are more analytical can be more geared towards human incite, science, philosophy, probably better at marketing strategies for hifi etc etc.

Pointless to argue over that kind of thing (even thought that would wipe out much of the arguments you seem to get into Richard) as it's fairly hard wired into your brain. Some people just won't be able to relate to it in any way.

nat8808, Oct 21, 2010
  8. RobHolt

nat8808

Actually, re-reading my post, you can easily see that I wasn't.

You should have tried reading it and taking it in rather than just continuing to argue with anything that quotes you followed by a sentence with a question mark..

All these rolleyes from you richard, make me think you're not taking in enough oxygen?! Are you passing out?

nat8808, Oct 21, 2010
  9. RobHolt

nat8808

So why are you arguing now then? :rolleyes:

nat8808, Oct 21, 2010
  10. RobHolt

nat8808

I'm not, you are!

nat8808, Oct 21, 2010
  11. RobHolt

nat8808

Lol.

That ends my little synopsis of the thread so far..

nat8808, Oct 21, 2010
  12. RobHolt

kt66

this place needs Stewart Pinkerton

kt66, Oct 21, 2010
  13. RobHolt

Basil

You can cherry pick situations where blind testing has been abused to garner a specific result, but ask yourself this: Why is it that the vast majority of the UK hi-fi industry recoils in terror at the mere sugestion of a blind test of their equipment?

Something to hide?

And unless you've spent all your life in a cave in the Outer Hebrides, how can you have failed to see that science works?

Basil, Oct 21, 2010
  14. RobHolt

Mescalito

You are confusing scientific hypotheses with established scientific fact.
    Opinions can be the basis of an hypothesis. Hypotheses are very often worth investigation. But hypotheses remain mere conjecture until such time as evidence is provided as to their validity. They then join the body of scientific knowledge.

As for philosophy, by definition, most of it is worthless. All those philosophers with diametrically opposed world views can't all be right.

Chris

Mescalito, Oct 21, 2010
  15. RobHolt

Mescalito

Fnuckle,

What do you know about science? Do you have the faintest idea as to how scientists actually do science?

Just asking, because reading your inchoate rant, it does not look as if you do.

Chris

Mescalito, Oct 21, 2010
  16. RobHolt

Richard Dunn

Well this member of the trade would be supporting blind tests 25 years ago, but *from experience* I have now rejected them.

Plus I have nothing to hide and I am not in the slightest bit scared of them. I don't submit items for review now but when I did they were in Hi-Fi Choice blind group tests many times, and I was in the listening panels many times.

I was talking to Paul Messenger on the phone yesterday and he said seeing as I was active again he asked me if I wanted me come back on his speaker blind listening panel for Choice.

17. RobHolt

Fnuckle Trade

Except they don't. Two UK magazines and the majority of UK companies use blind tests in their procedure.

The thing is, most of them know how pointless an ad hoc blind test is.

Fnuckle, Oct 21, 2010
  18. RobHolt

Fnuckle Trade

Enlighten me, then.

Fnuckle, Oct 21, 2010
  19. RobHolt

Cav Cav

fair enough but if you wilfully choose to embrace ignorance that, too, is your business.

Cav, Oct 21, 2010
  20. RobHolt

Richard Dunn

I embrace reality, the reality that my ears show me, the reality that my customer show me, the reality that my emotions show me, the reality that my intellect shows me, the only realities that is relevant to a human being, not a computer.

For heaven sake music is an art form, listening to you lot makes it seem like an digital file.

Ask a Question