Modding the Devil

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Markus S, Sep 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Markus S

lordsummit moderate mod

Can we perhaps just operate a little self restraint?

lordsummit, Sep 6, 2005
  2. Markus S

pauldixonuk pmc & bryston

I'll see if I can manage it.

pauldixonuk, Sep 6, 2005
  3. Markus S

analoguekid Planet Rush

Can I ask why?

Banned members have no right of reply, that I can understand, but Bubs departing is his choice, he still has a right of reply and chooses not to excercise it, a bit like any manufacturer etc who is talked about, has the right to sign up and offer their side.

analoguekid, Sep 6, 2005
  4. Markus S

lordsummit moderate mod

Basically it seems a bit like kicking a corpse to me. James may not have been the most popular member we have ever had here, but he certainly had something to say and was willing to impart his knowledge to anyone willing to listen. If he has decided that he no longer wants to contribute and discuss with other members the issues that often seemed very controversial, then it doesn't seem acceptable that people should jump up and down shouting from the hilltops that they've slain the dragon.
    That's why

lordsummit, Sep 6, 2005
  5. Markus S

zanash

Why let this thread run if you don't wish the topic discussed ?

I appologise to anyone whoes toes I've troden on ...sorry

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2005
    zanash, Sep 6, 2005
  6. Markus S

lordsummit moderate mod

Because we try to moderate gently, and tbh we hardly ever have to. I'd rather let threads die off or fade into insignificance if we can and I know the other mods feel the same way. It is a nightmare when you open your mailbox and find a raft of reported posts. Because whatever you do then annoys somebody. If we closed this thread what money a thread would start modding the modding the devil thread would start. It's much easier if people keep their house in order.

lordsummit, Sep 6, 2005
  7. Markus S

pauldixonuk pmc & bryston

It's going to be more dull now I expect, without bub's antics.

pauldixonuk, Sep 6, 2005
  8. Markus S

greg Its a G thing

I dont think any of the comments above are unfair, mocking or vindictive. James has always been very willing to wind people up, make disparaging remarks about people and their opinions and generally kick up the dust. He also decided to post a thread announcing his departure which by definition invites reply.

I personally think replies in this thread and on James' have been generally restrained. I havent seen much evidence of real flaming and I think the reason for this is a general respect for ZG and its AUP. There's bound to be the odd wind up, but as far as I know we're all grown ups. Personally speaking I've never ever felt annoyed or irrate as a result of James' comments, I've always perceived him as a sporting quarry, ripe for the odd bit of winding up, but not with the intention of upsetting him.

greg, Sep 6, 2005
  9. Markus S

anon_bb Honey Badger

Its all been said now. Lets let this thread lie.

anon_bb, Sep 6, 2005
  10. Markus S

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

Not quite - I think we should get a petition going to convince the poor fellow back..
    I don;t want to have to brave PFM, wuss that I am!

leonard smalls, Sep 6, 2005
  11. Markus S

Markus S Trade

Aww come on Leonard, PF isn't so bad.

The way I see this, ZG is either on the decline or undergoing a generation change, with some people who used to be very active here leaving. We'll know more in half a year or so.

Dear moderators,

even though I opened this thread by criticizing certain moderation decisions, I want to stress that I am grateful to you for running this forum and appreciate the work you put into keeping it going.

Markus S, Sep 6, 2005
  12. Markus S

Alex S User

I find it extremely distressing that I can no longer enjoy the BV and Bub Show at either PFM or ZG since one is banned from one and the other has left the other (again).

Alex S, Sep 6, 2005
  13. Markus S

Markus S Trade

Ask Bub about this, he'll tell you he had very good reasons (not in the public domain).

Markus S, Sep 6, 2005
  14. Markus S

anon_bb Honey Badger

Calls were made for my return but deleted. PM for details if you wish - I want to keep this nonsense off the forum. ;-)

anon_bb, Sep 6, 2005
  15. Markus S

griffo104

Maybe someone can turn it into a sitcom ? Would be more fun than what's on tv at the moment - atnd at times it was very entertaining.

Bub was very good at summing up his opinions/feelings in one very astute comment.

griffo104, Sep 6, 2005
  16. Markus S

The Devil IHTFP

Can I just point out that I haven't actually 'died', I have left. The reasons are manifold, and were outlined in my other thread.

The forum seems to have been taken over recently by people who seem intent on spreading malicious disinformation about various hi-fi products as widely as possible. The current LP12 thread is a case in point, as is the unseemly baying for ATC's blood in the DominicT thread.

In addition, I received implicit threats about my job via PM from a forum member here. I reasoned that there is no point in arguing with people who are clearly trolling, and who will never give up, however compelling the evidence against their position may be. If someone is prepared to make personal threats in order to silence me, then obviously they have a problem, and it's a problem which I am unwilling to share.

I would also point out that jocular references to fruitcakes & the like is not at all proportionate with calling me a liar in return, particularly when it is perfectly obvious that I was quoting from elsewhere. This is far from "dishing it out, but not being able to take it".

Thank you for your many supportive emails.

The Devil, Sep 7, 2005
  17. Markus S

anon_bb Honey Badger

Bub,

I would remind you that you have dished out personal threats as well as doubtless receiving them - something to which I personally would not stoop. My email was one of the supportive ones if you bothered to read it.

"Disinformation" is not the same as a negative opinion. The former includes propaganda or false representation, the latter is a sincerely held belief in opposition to your own. There is no malicious conspiracy.

I hope you can put everything behind you and rejoin the forum - hopefully minus the feeling that your purchases are being persecuted.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2005
    anon_bb, Sep 7, 2005
  18. Markus S

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

No, I can't say it.

I must resist.

A-a-a-r-g-h-h

What type of support was that, Bub? :D

7_V, Sep 7, 2005
  19. Markus S

ditton happy old soul

mind your <manners>

ditton, Sep 7, 2005
  20. Markus S

zanash

you have been total obnoxious, you dis people for asking simple questions,

It might appear to be funny to you to do this, but I find it irritating .

Many of your post are inane...other just tell the asker to buy *ana.

If you were to treat people, how you wish to be treated in return, just maybe you wouldn't need to go off and sulk, when you get a bit back.

zanash, Sep 7, 2005
Ask a Question