Effects of metal enclosures on circuits

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by RobHolt, Jul 29, 2010.

1. RobHolt

RobHolt Moderator

I look at that circuit at keep asking myself.... why would you?

It looks like one of those 'I do it this way because I can' type products.

TdP did the same with his power amp using banks of little ECC83s running in parallel. I asked him once why he'd chosen that method, and in typical TdP style he snapped back 'because I can and others can't!'

RobHolt, Aug 9, 2010
  2. RobHolt

RobHolt Moderator

That's certainly an advance, but arguably not new design IMO. Its still a capacitor smoothed psu when all said and done.

RobHolt, Aug 9, 2010
  3. RobHolt

Richard Dunn

Just about everything that is out there is based on application notes. Now that doesn't make them the same and they definitely don't sound the same. So circuit design is obviously only part of the picture. There are people who don't base their designs on application notes, I know that as the Tresham was not based on the Hitachi fet application note nor is the nva based on any bi-polar application note.

Though of course there are bound to be parallel lines.

Richard Dunn, Aug 9, 2010
  4. RobHolt

Pure Sound

If you had a profound distrust of output transformers you might!

Personally I don't have an issue with using them for impedance conversion. DB obviously does. If anything I think his solution is more 'characterful' but I can understand why people like the amplifiers.

Pure Sound, Aug 9, 2010
  5. RobHolt

RobHolt Moderator

Very high output impedance IIRC - certainly on the low feedback settings.
    Any speaker system not possessing a flat impedance characteristic (so thats 99.9% of them...) is going to sound characterful.

I've heard a Berning driving Proac SC1s and it sounded fine, but that was with the speaker converted to sealed box and a big Velodyne active sub on the bottom. Might be a different story runing the Proac full range.

RobHolt, Aug 9, 2010
  6. RobHolt

Pure Sound

I don't think they are high o/p impedance in the way a feedback free SET amp might be. I heard some of his newer mono amps recently driving some very large speakers in a big room with no strain or evident FR anomalies being audible.

I'm not sure how much of an issue the load tolerance would ever be. Of course adjusting the feedback on a ZH270 changed the way it coupled to various loads but there was usually a setting that gave a decent result.

Anyhow, nobody with any sense uses punishingly low impedance & inefficient speakers these days do they? ;)

Pure Sound, Aug 9, 2010
  7. RobHolt

RobHolt Moderator

Not in my case certainly.

At least not both combined ;)

RobHolt, Aug 9, 2010
  8. RobHolt

Dev Moderator

If it's the speakers I'm thinking of, they've been replaced by Tannoy DMT12 and they sounded fine to my ears:).

Dev, Aug 9, 2010
  9. RobHolt

RobHolt Moderator

It is :)

IIRC he has the feedback on the highest setting (or did have) which will help.

RobHolt, Aug 9, 2010
  10. RobHolt

jcbrum Black Bottom fan

Martin Grindrod's design for the PA's in the AVI adm9 series is pretty good.

It's a generation beyond the Lab Series, and is in about it's fifth revision now. It's used in their Subs too.

It's not digital switching amp as is very common in active speakers btw.

JC

jcbrum, Aug 9, 2010
  11. RobHolt

RobHolt Moderator

Digital switching amps aren't new either.

In fact we often think of digital audio as 'new' but it goes back many decades.
    I was reading a BBC Research deocument yesterday on the requirements for a workable PCM audio system. The paper was dated 1965.

RobHolt, Aug 9, 2010
  12. RobHolt

jcbrum Black Bottom fan

'Digital' amps aren't really digital .......... :)

jcbrum, Aug 9, 2010
  13. RobHolt

Richard Dunn

You wont have a digital amplifier until you have a digital speaker, which strike me as pretty unlikely. So with current speakers at some point you have to have voltage and current gain and there is no point in doing that digitally as you just make the conversion back to analogue more difficult and complicated, and I really can't think of how a digital circuit can give you current and voltage gain, it just switches. It could control *another* circuit to give you that gain but that is all.

Anyway all an amplifier is is a regulated power supply where the signal being regulated happens to be music.

EDIT I remember in the dim depths of my mind someone trying to create a gas driven horn loudspeaker where the gas valve was regulated mechanically by music via a low gain source. And there was also one that used either a flame or a plasma to do it if I remember rightly.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2010
  14. RobHolt

muz640

You should have a listen to a Lyngdorf TDA amp if you can Richard, not perfect, but an interesting idea if your using a digital source (which i know your not dead keen on :))

http://www.lyngdorf.com/content/view/14/33/

Acapella still make a Plasma tweeter, and i think Keith from Purite has just started to sell a speaker that has a plasma tweeter too.

http://www.acapella.de/en/

muz640, Aug 9, 2010
  15. RobHolt

Pure Sound

Hill Plasmatronics.

Needed a ready supply of helium but the dancing flames are very pretty in the dark!

Pure Sound, Aug 9, 2010
  16. RobHolt

Labarum

Labarum, Aug 9, 2010
  17. RobHolt

Richard Dunn

It is still not a digital amp, it is a switching analogue amp.

18. RobHolt

Richard Dunn

Wasn't there some problem about it giving off ozone as a by-product.

19. RobHolt

muz640

It only became dangerous when mixed with methane ;)

Didnt say it wasn't, just asked if you ever heard one. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2010
    muz640, Aug 9, 2010
  20. RobHolt

jcbrum Black Bottom fan

Hmmm, ... I don't like the term 'regulated' in this context .... 'modulated' is better ....

.... 'regulated' implies constrained to a constant level, .... which is the opposite of what is required.

... I think I know what you mean though, .. the output voltage at the pa terminals across a load, has to be an analogue of the music which of course is very variable in nature.

I agree digital amps are a nonsense concept when all loudspeakers are firmly and necessarily in the analogue domain, and likely to remain so, because we don't have 'digital ears'

JC

jcbrum, Aug 9, 2010
Ask a Question