What's playing today ?

Discussion in 'Classical Music' started by JANDL100, Sep 18, 2007.

1. JANDL100

Grothendieck

one last one ... Tallis Scholars - Jean Mouton's Ave Maria Virgo Serena

Grothendieck, Nov 13, 2015
  2. JANDL100

Grothendieck

Listening further to Christopher Herrick's BWV 552 fugue, I've noticed there's an extroverted quality in his use of staccato that is not entirely to my taste. Of the ones I've heard, my preferences for the e flat major fugue would be Walcha(2nd), Bernard Lagacè, and Hans Fagius.

Grothendieck, Dec 4, 2015
  3. JANDL100

Grothendieck

I would add Kevin Bowyer as another who, for my taste, does very well on the BWV 552 fugue.

Grothendieck, Dec 5, 2015
  4. JANDL100

hyweldavies

Machaut: Sacred & Secular Songs, Messe de Notre Dame. Neve heard of the guy before a typical Saturday morning's listening of CD review. Early music choral on a couple of discs with some almost Irish folk music bits for the instrumental album. The choral stuff is almost gregorian chant, with a touch of harmony, though other sections are a less extreme version of Gesualdo. 3 CD boxed set for £8 so pretty good value.

If early music's your thing, check it out. A very good find.

hyweldavies, Dec 5, 2015
  5. JANDL100

Grothendieck

opening chorus of Saint Matthew Passion - Helmuth Rilling (his first recording from 1978 on CBS/Sony Classical). Great tempo. Great sense of the singers being under the tight control of the conductor (although I don't like how he goes from softer to louder at the beginning, seems out of place for this type of music).

The other recordings I like are Münchinger, Richter(1958), and Gönnenwein. I just don't like the singing on the Mauersberger as much as these others.

Grothendieck, Dec 21, 2015
  6. JANDL100

Grothendieck

Amadeus Webersinke - 2 part invention in c minor (BWV 773) and 3 part sinfonia in c minor (BWV 788) on the piano

I enjoy the playing. I like that he basically doesn't seem to add any additional ornamentation (unlike several other recordings of BWV 788 that I've been listening to). I like how his playing seems free of ego and showiness.

In addition to piano, he also played the organ. He and Karl Richter were the two recipients of the first prize for organ at the International Johann Sebastian Bach Competition in Leipzig in 1950.

Grothendieck, Dec 29, 2015
  7. JANDL100

Grothendieck

András Schiff - BWV 849 (first recording on Decca label) - I've always liked the pace that he uses for the fugue. One of my favorite recordings of this piece.

Grothendieck, Jan 11, 2016
  8. JANDL100

Grothendieck

Wolfgang Rübsam - BWV 538 (second recording on Naxos label) - I really like the playing and the organ he uses. I greatly prefer this to the earlier recording of this piece that he did on Philips.

Wolfgang Rübsam - BWV 552 fugue (second recording Naxos) - like the playing and organ here as well

Grothendieck, Feb 20, 2016
  9. JANDL100

premont

I also prefer these recordings to his first integral. But these were also the first he recorded of his second integral, which took him several years in contrast to his first integral, which was recorded in the course of one year. Towards the end of the second integral his style had changed considerably, and had become kind of an acquired taste. Have you heard the passacaglia from the second take e.g., and what do you think of it?

Unfortunately he had a preference for dull Metzler organs, which detracts considerably from his first Bach integral and also from his Buxtehude integral. The Naxos integral is recorded on historical organs or on good style copies hereof.

premont, Feb 21, 2016
  10. JANDL100

premont

Much agree, that this is an outstanding interpretation. I once heard Wøldike perform the SMP in Copenhagen, and this was- as you may guess - a highly memorable event.

premont, Feb 21, 2016
  11. JANDL100

premont

I think Schoonbroodt makes the piece sound like a mass of changing harmonies and supresses the counterpoint too much. But his organ is outstanding.

premont, Feb 21, 2016
  12. JANDL100

Grothendieck

I listened to the passacaglia from the second integral. I can see how the slower tempo and heavy ornamentation would make it a bit of an "acquired taste." My preference is for a faster tempo without all the ornamentation such as Rübsam on Philips, Lionel Rogg on Harmonia Mundi, or Walcha's first recording. Still, I like the sound of the organ on the Naxos recording and it's interesting to hear it played in a more ornamented way.

You were right that I was referring to Rübsam's 1988 recording of BWV 552 on Naxos. I should have specified the year since I now see that he made another recording of BWV 552 for Naxos later as part of the Clavierübung III.

Grothendieck, Feb 27, 2016
  13. JANDL100

Grothendieck

That's great you were able to have that experience.

14. JANDL100

Grothendieck

I'm glad that I bought the recording. I got it because you recommended it. It sounded like an important one to have because the organ is ideal for Sweelinck.

I'll keep in mind your point about harmony/counterpoint when I listen again.

15. JANDL100

Grothendieck

Günther Ramin 1952 Saint Matthew Passion - opening chorus - While there are some limitations in terms of sound, this is nonetheless a compelling version. I love the tempo, which is about the same as Wöldike and Gönnenwein.

I've been listening further to Serge Schoonbroodt's recording of Sweelinck's Fantasia Chromatica. The organ really is fantastic.

Grothendieck, Apr 30, 2016
  16. JANDL100

Grothendieck

Evgeni Koroliov - BWV 773 and BWV 788 - I like it. Good forward momentum (better than Webersinke in this respect), but not too fast.
    BWV 791
    BWV 795

Grothendieck, May 12, 2016
  17. JANDL100

Grothendieck

Nikolaus Harnoncourt - 1st recording of Saint Matthew Passion (1970) opening chorus - I really like the vitality of this recording. The faster approach is a nice complement to my other favorites (Wöldike, Gönnenwein, and Ramin's 2nd recording from 1952).

Grothendieck, May 15, 2016
  18. JANDL100

Grothendieck

Theatre of Voices directed by Paul Hillier singing Jean Mouton's Ave Maria Gemma Virginum

Grothendieck, May 27, 2016
  19. JANDL100

Grothendieck

Gloria from Missa Pange Lingua by Josquin des Prez sung by Ensemble Clèment Janequin

Bach's six voice ricercar from Musical Offering - Bernard Coudurier at the Treutmann organ

Grothendieck, May 28, 2016
  20. JANDL100

Grothendieck

youtube Ars Aureum Bach Art of Fugue contrapunctus 1

Davitt Moroney - Art of Fugue canon alla decima, contrapunto alla terza

Grothendieck, May 28, 2016
Ask a Question